Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Mauritius 10s Squad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Sheikh did you notice the Welsh lads Warburton and Roberts play 2 test matches and one against the Chiefs in the space of 7 days last week.
    Hence my comment that playing twice in 4 days often happens in the UK and France and over longer seasons. The English Premiership is 22 matches, plus another 9 in the European Cup and 6 in the domestic cup, so up to 37 matches in ~30 weeks. It means there's a mid-week game about every month.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Senior Player
    vCash
    May I remind people that during that British and Irish lions game there was one certain DHP that had returned from overseas. That one DHP then signed for the force a couple of days later. It is now that DHP that made his wallabies debut just a few weeks ago.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by volvo View Post
    May I remind people that during that British and Irish lions game there was one certain DHP that had returned from overseas. That one DHP then signed for the force a couple of days later. It is now that DHP that made his wallabies debut just a few weeks ago.
    He was already signed - the articles were out the next day. And I'm sure that one game has had everything to do with all the success he's had 3 years later.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post

Many of them through Foley's efforts and honesty have come to the conclusion that they didn't have what it takes to be successful at SR (at this point in time).
    Interesting comment,I personally have always held the view that two of the most important attributes to be successful is to have a massive self belief in both yourself and your teamates ability,playing with the confidence that nothing is impossible if you want it badly enough.
    I would be gobsmacked if professional players have come to that conclusion,they are beat before they start if what you say is true.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    I would be gobsmacked if professional players have come to that conclusion,they are beat before they start if what you say is true.
    A surprising comment to me as well but perhaps indicates why they weren't getting picked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    A surprising comment to me as well but perhaps indicates why they weren't getting picked.
    not starting a fight AG, but the performances of 2013, 2015 and 2016 show that the ones that WERE getting picked werent cutting it...and neither was Foleys game style/plan. Given those performances, I would have given the kitchen sink a chance, see what it could do.

Foleys honesty to players? FFS its his OPINION, and if they arent playing/selected because the coach doesnt like then they can neither show their wares or improve or get motivated. Professional sport...and any workplace...is littered with "rejects" who the coach didn't like who made it at another environment

Last edited by sittingbison; 23-06-16 at 06:56.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Don't see why adding to a discussion should ever be considered a "fight".

There is no doubt that being a professional rugby player in Australia is a tough gig with no one recipe for success - otherwise everybody would make it. Players respond differently to hurdles along the way and need different handling and motivation. They obviously develop at different rates and respond to inputs and challenges differently. This is a professional sport so I also have no issues with players being lured away for greater financial reward - especially when the Force has been strapped for cash.

There are many reasons why the average playing career in SR (not just in Australia) is less than 3 seasons.

Making it at SR level is what we're talking about. IMO Australian rugby is far from being "littered" with rejects who have made it elsewhere - they tend to be the exception rather than the rule. I reckon it's great when this happens as it usually indicates true motivation and depth of character.

But the turn around has rarely happened straight away - usually after a number of years, showing a real desire and application to make it at the top level. Franchises need to keep turning over their squads for numerous, good reasons.

We have two very good examples in DHP (who went to France to develop under a very different playing regime) and Matt Hodgson who couldn't break onto the Waratahs scene but developed into the player we know at the Force. Both have become Wallabies.

IMO the current squad at the Western Force have a number of players who are available for selection but have never really pressed for selection. When I've watched them play in club rugby they rarely stand-out - as I expect them to do. Do they think that they've "made it" just by being in the WF squad?

We also have a number of players who are genuinely pressing for selection but need to wait for injuries to get a run. They are usually stand-outs in club rugby. I can understand why they may get lured elsewhere in order to get more game time.

IF the Force had been in a different financial situation I would think that some of the squad would have been moved on a lot quicker.

However, what I'm still very excited about is the number of players who have made the transition from Club rugby, through State representation to Super Rugby (and hopefully further). That's why having an effective NRC is so important and why we should fight to keep the Force in the West.
    AND what made the 10s win in Mauritius so enjoyable.

vCash
    Highlights of our world champion 10's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWoMPHsOKTo

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Champion
    vCash
    Anyone hear about the Saracen players getting cheeky with the locals and they came came back with a few mates and machetes and did some serious damage

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    You've nailed it in one Kalahard.All the wax lyrical about Foley and all the good development work he has done is a load of crap.
    Whack the local kids out,what have we got to lose.
    Well this is not happening,same old same old.No one from this team on the plane to SA. Be the same shit with the inevitable same result.
    Had nothing to lose trying out the young guns.
    This clean out that had to happen needs to include all those that hung their hat on Stonefishes hook

Last edited by westies man; 26-06-16 at 12:49.

vCash
    Well this is not happening,same old same old.No one from this team on the plane to SA. Be the same shit with the inevitable same result.
    This clean out that had to happen needs to include all those that hung their hat on Stonefishes hook
    So the starting line up needs to go?

vCash
    Did you ever think that was going to happen with his key assistant named as the caretaker.

Surely if they disagreed that diametrically on selection there would have been rumours. There will be the inevitable cleanout of coaching and support staff that always occurs when a head coach is changed, because the new bloke usually wants to bring in his own team....not sure what the reasoning is, but it is probably mainly to do with communication and trust.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    So the starting line up needs to go?
    There are those that have been taken over and are injured and there are those that are solid locals that should be given a crack.Good to see you've got it worked out HQ man,

vCash
    What's the word BTW on Luke Burton, believe he did a lot of damage again to his foot. Was it as bad as that?Hope not as was hoping to see a good season from him this year.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Brisbane Global 10's confirmed for February 11 & 12 next year

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast