Thread: Growden: It's Tah Man and Timana to the rescue

vCash

Angry Growden: It's Tah Man and Timana to the rescue

Just when you thought Growden couldn't make himself look like anymore of a tool....

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...190652429.html

It's Tah Man and Timana to the rescue
    Greg Growden | February 18, 2008

AFTER the Matt Henjak debacle, thank heavens Tah Man and Timana Tahu reminded us that rugby can still gladden the soul. There are grand entrances, but none better than the first appearance of the Waratahs' new mascot Tah Man. The caped crusader appeared from the heavens, and with the aid of a flying fox, glided onto the Sydney Football Stadium turf on Saturday night.

The crowd pointed, and mouthed the words: 'Look up in the sky. Is it a bird? Is it a …"

The moment was dripping with drama. Were we about to see a re-enactment of the SFS rugby league grand final debacle when the on-field stage collapsed? Was this going to be the latest mid-air sporting event disaster?

Would it be like at Ballymore, where there was a run of bizarre supernatural moments, including parachutists mistiming their arrival and landing either on top of the players, the grandstand or even the goalposts? Or when ground sprinklers would mysteriously turn on in the middle of games, or fireworks displays would go crazy - one time even falling over and igniting during a Brisbane junior rugby march-past, turning the ground into a scene from Apocalypse Now.

But no - Tah Man was above all that. He landed safely, proudly showed off his pecs, and gave high fives to everyone. As the Waratahs ran out, there was Tah Man showing them the way.

Then, sadly, Tah Man wandered down the tunnel, and to the disappointment of the Waratahs players, was not sighted until much later. He was obviously doing his best up in the Members Bar. However, that won't continue, as several players were yesterday lobbying NSW team officials, demanding Tah Man be with them the whole match, scaring off intruders along the sideline for the full 80 minutes.

Their delight in having Tah Man by their side was evident when, after following their mascot's lead and muscling the Hurricanes out of the game, they met their man during the post-match warm-down.

Tah Man strode over, and, in his Duff Man voice, bellowed: "Yeah boys." "Good on ya Tah Man," replied Al Baxter.

Typically, the old fuddy duddies have already been whingeing over email to the NSW Rugby Union that Tah Man is an unnecessary distraction. But the Waratahs should ignore the moaners. The players and kiddies love Tah Man. And that's what rugby needs more of - good players and kiddies at games.

The other main Waratahs attraction also lived up to the build-up. Not much came Tahu's way on the wing. But when it did he usually did something productive. His flick pass to put Lachlan Turner away for the first try of the game will be shown regularly in highlights packages.

His bulldogging of Hurricanes fullback Cory Jane over the sideline was over the top, but had the desired effect. When Tahu had ball in hand, or in a one-on-one situation, he looked poised. No wonder there are those at Waratahland who believe Tahu will be the best of those who have come across from the league ranks.

And even Tahu could soon find himself part of the pre-game entertainment. In the match program was the most revealing fact about the league convert. Tahu is Yo-Yo Man. "You wouldn't know it but I'm good at yo-yo," Tahu explained. "Rock the cradle, round the world, walk the dog. My kids usually think I'm lame but the yo-yo gave me some respect."

Pre-match entertainment has been lame since the Pal Superdogs disappeared. So why not Tahu enthralling the crowds with his yo-yo?

And the Australian Rugby Union should think about using him and Tah Man as a tag-team rescue act. Maybe the best way to get errant bad boy Henjak back on track is to have Tah Man monstering him, and then Tahu doing round the world in the Western Force halfback's general direction.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Maybe Growden IS Tah-Man... what a wank.

vCash
    That would make sense actually...

I made Happy sad...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    It's work like this that has made Growden the man he is. Much respect for producing such an inspiring piece and showing the world the enduring quality of your work. I would suggest that this will be up for an award. Maybe we can make a TWF award and present it to show him how much we feel about him.

In fact, I'm over in Sydney in April and will volunteer to present the award.

Suggestions for the award required and a volunteer to make it.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The moment was dripping with .......shite

Would it be like at Ballymore, where there was a run of bizarre supernatural moments, .....No, it would be far more embarrassing!

demanding Tah Man be with them the whole match, scaring off intruders along the sideline for the full 80 minutes.....Oh please yes! leave him on the sideline, I can't think of anything funnier......

Tah Man strode over, and, in his Duff Man voice I freakin' knew it!

The other main Waratahs attraction also lived up to the build-up. Not much came Tahu's way on the wing. But when it did he usually did something productive. ....OK the way I count it, 'productive' equals two one-arm flick passes to get out of trouble when isolated, and one monster tackle which brought a penalty, apart from that, he made a couple of reasonable defensive efforts and left some holes....he also looked confused for extended periods!
    I'd just like to clarify, that the bit where I discussed Tahu's performance wasn't meant to be bagging the man, he did OK for a first gamer in the S14, really. Showed his mungoness pretty strongly, but didn't allow anything through which his teammates couldn't fix. I think he's got a long way to go, but he seems able to learn, (he did learn that running straight into the tackle and retaining the ball is a bad thing before the end of the match) so I think he'll do OK, I was having a dig at the tosser who was making a big deal of his performance and writing it up as an eclipse of the sun. I'm pretty sure based upon some of the things I've read, Tahu would prefer it just be left on the cutting room floor for him to analyse and see where he needs to improve!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I have read better stories in Picture magazines.

Growden has set a new low.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    It seems like Growden has been reading up on Amanda Shalalalalalalalalalalalalalala's work, and trying to put a positive spin on things.

That said, at the game, Tah-Man came our way, and I've gotta say, he was kinda cool, in a very piss-take of mascot's kind of way.

vCash
    I want to see the beer cannon come out A-La duffman at the Springfied baseball, shooting cans of beer into the crowd. I'll be on his side then Oooooh Yeahhhhh

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The caped crusader appeared from the heavens, and with the aid of a flying fox, glided onto the Sydney Football Stadium turf on Saturday night.
    And I thought Chris Jack had gone to Europe

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    what bollocks!!!.......

vCash
    One question for you Jess:

Tahman or Cheerleaders?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    It's work like this that has made Growden the man he is. Much respect for producing such an inspiring piece and showing the world the enduring quality of your work. I would suggest that this will be up for an award. Maybe we can make a TWF award and present it to show him how much we feel about him.

In fact, I'm over in Sydney in April and will volunteer to present the award.

Suggestions for the award required and a volunteer to make it.
    Can you stuff yerself - he'd appreciate that - after all he made up more stories about you than anything else he has written.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I know the answer, Larry

vCash
    Maybe the Golden Pie award for rugby jounalism with plenty of sauce but very little actual meat?
    Presented by cramming it down the recipient's throat.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.