Thread: Sticking points for Cummins

Champion
    vCash

Sticking points for Cummins

Nick Taylor
    November 6, 2014, 7:17 am

Chances are dwindling for the Western Force to secure winger Nick Cummins for the 2015 Super Rugby season.
    Coca Cola Red Sparks have turned down an initial request from Cummins to be released to the Force next year, a move that would also make him eligible for the World Cup.
    The Japanese Top League club has also rejected an offer by Cummins to sign for a third season if he could be loaned back to the WA club.
    The Force said they would hold a Super Rugby spot open for the "Honey Badger" while they tried to secure a release.
    But with the Japanese unlikely to reopen any formal talks until their season ends in February, the Force may have to reconsider.
    They have until December 31 to announce their final list.
    The only concession Red Sparks are prepared to give is to allow Cummins to play for the Wallabies, but Australian Rugby Union rules do not allow World Cup selection unless a player is contracted to an Australian Super Rugby club.
    Cummins, who scored for the Barbarians in their 40-36 loss to Australia at Twickenham last Saturday, admitted a return to the Force was unlikely.
    He was lost to Australian rugby after the ARU refused to top up his salary even though he was not on their highest salary scale.
    Cummins was released from his contract on compassionate grounds to earn more money to help his family. Two siblings have cystic fibrosis and his father Mark, who has been involved in the contract talks, has been diagnosed with cancer.
    Cummins needs to show some form with Red Sparks. He has had little game time. Under Japanese competition rules a club is allowed to have only two overseas players on the pitch at any time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Doesn't sound promising. Maybe the ARU will go in to bat on behalf of the Force, however knowing their attitude I think that they won't even bother, to busy trying to retain their own jobs.

vCash
    This isn't the ARU's problem and blaming them is pointless.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    This isn't the ARU's problem and blaming them is pointless.
    It's a problem the ARU created.
    And a significantly short sighted and stupid decision by them not to give more money to the biggest positive advertisement that Australian rugby has seen but to instead throw it at a couple of people who are relative (relative to Badger) unknowns outside Australian rugby circles.

Seriously if an Engish crowd starts dressing up as the Badger and having a whole stadium cheer when he crossed the line wasn't enough to tell the ARU they seriously f**ked up I don't know what is.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    yep - ARU's fault for letting him go, but it sounds like his Japanese club is not happy for him to play super rugby.

vCash
    One of the best advetisments / icon for Australian rugby in recent times is let go...

And last week the worst one in recent times was retained.

Geee thanks ARU di@kheads

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think I am going to get yelled at a lot for this. But everyone is entitled to an opinion - and here is mine.

Nick Cummins had a remarkable year for the Western Force. 7 Tries for the year is a remarkable effort.

How ever the 4 years prior. 3 Tries, 2 Tries, 2 Tries and 3. And a history of injuries that saw him continually miss games.

Yes he runs the ball hard and yes his team work and team attitude is one of the best I have seen from a Rugby player in a very long time.

But - The Western Force and the Wallabies need play makers and match winners. I will concede that is very possible that Nick Cummins is developing in to a match winner. But I do not believe that he is there yet.

I truly and humbly believe that Nick Cummins was paid what he is worth by both the Western Force and by the Wallabies.

The Western Force are struggling for sponsorship dollars. The ARU even more so.

Whilst we all would love to see Nick Cummins back in Western Force Blue or Wallaby Gold - There is no way that either team could justify an increase of his pay.

IF all it took to win matches was to be good on the microphone- then the Western Force should start recruiting professional wrestlers.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be inclined to agree if all players were payed solely on their technical merits. But they aren't and the ARU is kicking money in for players largely sight unseen because they think it will raise the games profile. Because that is the biggest problem at the moment - simply getting anyone to pay attention. Like him or not, on that front Cummins is gold. His dad got interviewed on Triple J some weeks back...when was the last time the rugby got a mention on that? People in other countries are dressing up like him and his nickname gets international recognition. I doubt anyone outside a couple of states know who Karmichael Hunt is, or if they did would associate his name with Union. Like Folau he will always be described as a League-convert, so which game actually gets promoted there?

That said, we'll see how it plays out but I won't lose any sleep if he can't make a return. He rolled the dice for good reasons and if the numbers don't come up, so be it. I'd like to think we've got some players coming through who will step up, and the Wallabies have no excuse given how many injuries it took before he cracked a game. I just wish the ARU would find some clue about marketing the teams and could move away from relying on selling individual players. The last few weeks have shown the risks in that approach.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am with you AndyS 100%.

However rightly or wrongly the ARU only see the markets of Sydney (Folau) or Brisbane (Hunt).

I am sure that if Nick Cummins played for the Waratahs his "keepability" would not be in question.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran
    vCash
    Yeah, he is has never been renowned for getting himself involved - but then again, look at how the team played in previous years.

If he gets the ball, and has a bit of space to put the jets on, he can usually beat a defender with one of his badger side-steps.

when he had a decent team inside him, oula! he scores tries.

vCash
    Would still prefer to see Badger at 13.
    Always reminded me more of a Sterling Mortlock style 13. Run over them not around them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Would still prefer to see Badger at 13.
    Always reminded me more of a Sterling Mortlock style 13. Run over them not around them.
    Just like he motored over Quade in the BaaBaas match, it was pure gold.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”