Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New Coach announced - Dave Wessels

Apprentice
    vCash
    Do we have a chance? Development or winning or something.

The force have a head coach who wasn't any good at rugby but is good at IT and defence. Defence Stats say 17th/18th last year.
    The spirit/U20's head coach never played rugby. Last year U/20's lost all 5 games.
    Assistant force/spirit coach was a flanker from south Africa coaching - ATTACK. Stats say 17th in attack.
    Assistant spirit coach wasn't any good at rugby and unsuccessful at coaching rugby locally and was a halfback who takes the LINEOUTS! Stats say Lineout attack 18th.

If we compare to NZ who we have to because they will be opponents next year.
    Highlanders - Head Coach Tony Brown former Otago/Highlander/All Black player coached successfully in Japan and already won Super title.
    Assistants McCleod, Preston, Hammett all former AllBlacks
    Crusaders - Head Coach Scott Robertson Canterbury/Crusader/AllBlack NZ U/20's and Coached Canterbury to numerous titles in ITM.
    Assistant Leon Macdonald former Crusader/ Allblack and current Tasman head coach
    Hurricanes - Head Coach Chris Boyd average club player, coached NZ U/20's, assistant coach Wellington Lions/Sharks, Head Coach Wellington Lions (unsuccessful) 2 seasons and now winner of Super title.
    Assistant John Plumtree former Taranaki lock , head coach Taranaki/Wellington/Sharks
    Chiefs - Head Coach Dave Rennie former Wellington player. Assistant coach Hurricanes, Head Coach Manawatu ITM, NZ U/20's 3 world titles, 2 Super titles
    Assistants have been Wayne Smith , former All Black current All Blacks assistant, now Neil Brown former assistant Taranaki/Canada, Keiran Keane, former All Black and Tasman H/C. Scrums Karl Hoeft former All Black.
    Blues - Head Coach Tana Umaga former All Black captain Toulon/Counties Head Coach
    Assistants - changes

To say we are behind the 8 ball is probably an understatement. lets hope the mysterious assistants have some pedigree!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The answer for me is pretty simple - give him and the players a chance. I'll reserve any hard and fast view until we are well into next season. I am a rusted on Force supporter so I don't have much choice, I am also far away from the decision so I have very little idea of his attributes so commenting on the sense, or otherwise, of the decision would be bloody unfair to him and the board. The best thing for me and the club is to hope they got it right and a disastrous 2016 won't be repeated and see how we play in 2017.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So try time Chris Boyd, average club player, unsuccessful coach at Wellington lions, not an all black, before he won a super rugby title, did you slam him the same as you're slamming the force coaches?

Didn't think so

C'mon the

vCash
    Useless comparison mate you do not absolutely need to have played rugby at a high level to be a good coach, specially when you consider how fast Rugby evolves. The management surely do help players to play as best they can but ultimately coaches cant turn average players into stars and that is what New Zealand has in massive numbers which we lack here in Australia due to Rugby Union being the 3/4/5th code.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    I deleted my post from last night bagging the coaching appointment.....

I have changed my philosophy in no small part due to The Inforcer's threat of eating his humble pie because if it's anything like his horse tipping you know it's gonna taste like shit.
    . Funny stuff but a little of the pot/kettle there. And yes I resemble that remark.

On the topic; and without being blindly optimistic, it did seem that they tried to play a better game plan after Foley left. To be fair, considering the injury toll, they madr a reasonable fist of it too. Until the bench arrived. A lot of that problem could possibly be down to the piss poor S&C budget though.

Last edited by shasta; 08-09-16 at 17:47.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So try time Chris Boyd, average club player, unsuccessful coach at Wellington lions, not an all black, before he won a super rugby title, did you slam him the same as you're slamming the force coaches?

Didn't think so
    Why?

vCash
    You could argue that unless there is a more even spread of Wallabies, it doesn't matter who our coach is as a team of mostly non-Wallabies will surely almost always be outplayed by a team of mostly Wallabies. On that basis, there is little point paying out huge bucks on a high profile head coach.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    So when do we find out officially about then asst coaches?

Maybe Foley in as scrum coach? 😆

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    Like the man says - Cheep, Cheep!
    "Down down deeper and down"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Look forward to baking a massive humble pie in a year or two and watching a heap of you choking on it
    Visionary

You all want to read this thread for a good self deprecating chuckle

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I think the only chance we ever have of winning Super Rugby is a chance convergence of the team gelling exceptionally well and an unheralded coach adjusting the gameplan to match the squad's talents. I also think that we'd very quickly see the disbandment of that team as players and coaches are enticed eastwards.

Am I too cynical?
    You're visionary as well

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Looks like i reserved judgement in this thread. Some others are worth a good chuckle.

Hindsight what a wonderful visionary you are!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm thinking he's got a year from the GIGS household.

If there isn't some obvious improvement by this time next year I'll be done (because the ARU will be thinking essentially the same way)

It's not like obvious improvement will be difficult, win a couple and play for 80 minutes in more than half the games will be light years ahead of this year!
    OK, since we're going for visionary hows this one?

I'm sorry guys, it looks like I got the ARU thinking of it.

C'mon the

vCash
    At the Neddies long lunch today Wessels indicated there are two aspects to any decision he makes: what his wife wants and what will help him reach his career goal to be the best rugby coach in the world.

Let's hope his wife hates the idea of moving to Melbourne!

Seriously though, I don't begrudge him or any of the players doing whatever is right for them. But like others have said, while I wish them every success, if they end up going to one of the four remaining Aus SR sides, I'm sorry but I don't have it in me to support any of those teams.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    At the Neddies long lunch today Wessels indicated there are two aspects to any decision he makes: what his wife wants and what will help him reach his career goal to be the best rugby coach in the world.

Let's hope his wife hates the idea of moving to Melbourne!

Seriously though, I don't begrudge him or any of the players doing whatever is right for them. But like others have said, while I wish them every success, if they end up going to one of the four remaining Aus SR sides, I'm sorry but I don't have it in me to support any of those teams.
    Was that the lunch with traitor Eales Alison? Did he say anything to redeem himself? Was it a sad affair?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast