Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Islanders to follow money trail

vCash

Islanders to follow money trail

Islanders to follow money trail: Sa
    June 14, 2008

Roosters utility says players face family pressure to earn more elsewhere - and that means rugby union, writes Jamie Pandaram.

Rugby league faces losing more of its most valuable investments in the future - young Pacific Islanders - to rugby union due to family pressure if salaries in the NRL are not increased, Kiwis Test star Setaimata Sa has warned.

Full Article

Islanders to follow money trail: Sa - leaguehq.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    So we get the League's coz we have more money, then they all go off to Europe for more money. hmm

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    money talks...

vCash
    How the tables have turned, muhaha!

vCash
    I like to think the mungos switch to union because they realise its the superior sport ......

Last edited by NTT; 14-06-08 at 14:15. Reason: drunk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    I like to think the mungos switch to union because they realise its the superior sport ......
    You are allowed to think what you like.

I don't care where thay come from as long as they are good enough. The more good Mungos that come on board, the less the player drain to the NH will be felt. Sa is a Rugby boy who went to League anyway.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'd rather watch a player who expresses some form of loyalty myself. I understand that money is a big part of the game these days, but money isn't a long-term drawcard, somebody else can always find more money than you, and if money's the only thing that's keeping you here, you aren't here for long!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    How the tables have turned, muhaha!
    Too right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'd rather watch a player who expresses some form of loyalty myself. I understand that money is a big part of the game these days, but money isn't a long-term drawcard, somebody else can always find more money than you, and if money's the only thing that's keeping you here, you aren't here for long!
    if they were loyal they'd be playing for Fiji/Samoa/Tonga and not the Wallabies/All Blacks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    if they were loyal they'd be playing for Fiji/Samoa/Tonga and not the Wallabies/All Blacks!
    Actually I feel the same way.

I would reserve judgement though on a player who has islander heritage but a significant amount of time spent in Australia. If a guy is born in Australia to Islander parents, I'd suggest that guy could choose (Digby would be an example)

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    sa is the kind of player that would carve up with these new ELV's... snap him up lol

vCash
    Actually I feel the same way.

I would reserve judgement though on a player who has islander heritage but a significant amount of time spent in Australia. If a guy is born in Australia to Islander parents, I'd suggest that guy could choose (Digby would be an example)
    I can see the point of view of someone like Lesley Vainikolo too - even though he's a kiwi, he's only ever played rugby in England...

vCash
    I'd suggest most of the PI players would love to play for their Home Nations. But their first loyalty, in a lot of cases, is to their families who mostly don't live in their home nations either. So they go for the quids where they live and good on 'em.

Personally I think there is a case for the IRB to make exemptions for players from all but the top tier nations. If their employer declines to renew a contract for these blokes they ought to be immediately available for their home nation.

If a guy is born in Australia to Islander parents, I'd suggest that guy could choose (Digby would be an example)
    Digby is actually, IIRC, the first "Samoan Born" player to represent the Wallabies. Unlike the AB's where they make up about 30% of the squad.

Last edited by shasta; 17-06-08 at 09:44.

Champion
    vCash
    According to the Reds website Digby was born in Wellington NZ, not Samoa and I suspect that a fair few of those AB's will be the same. Digby has played all of his rugby in Aus so it would be strange for him or a player like him to play for Samoa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    According to the Reds website Digby was born in Wellington NZ, not Samoa and I suspect that a fair few of those AB's will be the same. Digby has played all of his rugby in Aus so it would be strange for him or a player like him to play for Samoa
    That's why I put in the "IIRC".

I read that recently about him in the press somewhere, but can't recall where. It was in relation to him scoring his first try for the Wallabies against Wales last year. It went something like....."DIGBY IOANE became the first Samoan to play for the Wallabies when he scored a try against Wales in his only Test in 2007."

The ARU site claims he was born in Melbourne rugby.com.au |

Last edited by shasta; 17-06-08 at 11:38.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast