Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel 7 Perth is crap!

vCash
    in times of despair with no TWF i went on a yahoo7 chatroom about the coverage...(i cant find the exact one at the moment but this is a link to their discussions Cycloptic Ch 7 coverage of Aus vs Ire - RUGBY: In the Scrum - Australian Sport Message Boards

Also I agree channel 7 lift your game! I am still going to watch the game regardless of when you show it because I love my rugby. But I HATE that a repeat of an 8 year old movie got preference over an international AUSTRALIAN rugby match.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by laura; 16-06-08 at 22:26.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Several years ago here in SA, channel 9 (I think) delayed a Crows away game. Apparently so many people were upset that channel 9's ratings for lots of programs went down the toilet. Ever since, all Crows away games are shown live, even the ones on Friday nights, which if they do not involve the Crows are usually delayed by like 1.5 hours.

Perhaps you guys and gals out west should organise some sort of boycott of channel 7 until they get their act together.

vCash
    i already dont watch 7 cos their rubbish. The only shows on 7 i would watch are Family Guy and American Dad and i have them on dvd before their shown on tv.

And their on EOX 8 in abundance as well

The thing that gets me is the Rugby wasn't delayed for AFL, but for a rubbish tv show.

Oi channel 7! Stick the vicar of dibly up your arse

vCash
    Haven't watched Ch 7 in years - unfortunately they are not upset by this - peps we need to have some serious ratings increase for them to take any notice - S14 has had increased ratings this year - when that starts to impact on their FTA ratings then the change will come

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    This isnt going to help the argument much - in Sydneys Daily Telegraph this morning there is an Article how a repeated movie Richie Rich staring Macauly Caulkin beat the Live Test Match between Wallabies and Ireland. If I find the link I will post it.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Found it Ex..

Wallabies Test out-rated by kids' movie Richie Rich
    By Jon Geddes

June 17, 2008 12:00am

JOHN O'Neill's stark warning that rugby is facing a battle for survival with rugby league was driven home yesterday by figures that showed the Wallabies' Test against Ireland was beaten in free-to-air TV ratings by kids movie Richie Rich.

The 1994 film about a 12-year-old billionaire starring Macualay Culkin won all but two of the quarter hours it was up against Robbie Deans' much-anticipated debut as Wallabies' coach.

While the season's first rugby Test was a real event - filling pubs and clubs around Sydney - that was little consolation to Seven's advertisers as rugby was crashtackled by Richie Rich.

The Saturday night movie on Channel 9 had an average audience of 311,000, compared to 297,000 for the rugby on Seven.

But O'Neill was quick to defend rugby's line yesterday, describing the emphasis on free-to-air figures in Sydney as "misleading".

Read more..

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    An even closer look at the ratings shows that on Smith Street, 15 houses were tuned into Richie Rich, while only 11 were watching the Rugby. Hmmmm....Rugby really is in a bad position.

I think these reporters are paid to write a bad report no matter what the ratings say. Who owns the Daily Telegraph anyways...perhaps the same people that own channel 9? I like the line:

'While the season's first rugby Test was a real event - filling pubs and clubs around Sydney - that was little consolation to Seven's advertisers as rugby was crashtackled by Richie Rich'

Yet, they have no comment from anyone at channel 7 or channel 7's advertisers to actually confirm they are worried about the ratings.

311,000-297,000 isn't even that big a difference. I wonder how many people got together at their friends place to watch Richie Rich? If even 5% of the 297,000 Rugby viewers had an extra buddy come over to watch the game that would mean 15,000 or so people were unaccounted for.

I wonder how many pubs had the Rugby on? I think the ratings factor this in a bit, but I doubt they can accurately account for every person that went to a pub and watched the game.

Also, take into account what was on channel 10....Saturday night...that would have been footy. So basically if you didn't like sport (a huge percentage of the population), your options were Richie Rich, ABC or SBS.

The Swans played at home on Saturday night too, there's another 40,000 sport fans that weren't able to watch it. Were there any NRL games in Syd on Saturday night?

When it's all taken into account I think the ones who should be worried are channel 9. To only beat the Rugby by 14,000 people when you had such a huge percentage of the population who's only options were Richie Rich, ABC, SBS or reading a book is pretty poor.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    So Ritchie Rich beat the Wallabies on FTA by 14000.
    I wonder how many people watched the game in the pubs and clubs and how many watched at home on Fox.

I feel that Rugby people have given up on FTA and make other plans. This places Rugby in a Catch22. More people will watch FTA Rugby if it is regularly shown live and FTA Rugby won't run live until more people start watching.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Double Post

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    So Ritchie Rich beat the Wallabies on FTA by 14000.
    I wonder how many people watched the game in the pubs and clubs and how many watched at home on Fox.

I feel that Rugby people have given up on FTA and make other plans. This places Rugby in a Catch22. More people will watch FTA Rugby if it is regularly shown live and FTA Rugby won't run live until more people start watching.
    I,ve given up on FTA , we went to JB's and watched it at 6pm instead of having to get up at 12.30am the following morning (and would have probably known the result by then anyway!)

vCash
    i watched it at 12:30 only because my dad doesn't like it when i ask to go to the pub to watch the rugby because he thinks that 15 year old girls should not sit around at pubs full of drunken old men who can take advantage of then (which is a load of crap). but thats is only because my parents don't drink so they don't see the point in going to a pub but they still refuse to get foxtel so really i can't win. Thats why i miss almost all the force games

vCash
    I would be interested to know how the game was marketed by Channel 7 in the Eastern States because there sure as hell wasn't any advertising here in WA.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Who owns the Daily Telegraph? Uncle Rupert that owns Foxtell, and SuperRugby Competition. If anyone had a vested interest in showing Rugby Union in a good light it is these reporters.

This is branching off in to a new topic all together - but what is it with Rugby Union Reporters that insist on writing about the glass being empty and the sky falling everday of the week???

Any one who reads anything about Mungoball will tell you that their reporters think that no matter what the players are up to and what conspiracy theory is on at the moment - Mungo is the greatest game on this green and blue earth - just ask them they will tell you.

Even Moses and Chook will agree with this one.

tho they probably wont just to spite me.

they are a spitefull bunch.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    But O'Neill was quick to defend rugby's line yesterday, describing the emphasis on free-to-air figures in Sydney as "misleading". He pointed out the Irish Test had a national audience of over one million and was the second most watched program on Fox Sports for the week, with an average national audience of 232,000...............

.................O'Neill has acknowledged the battle facing rugby to win the hearts and minds of fans up against the three other football codes.
    (Robbie)Deans believes there is a place for all the codes because they cater for different interests and markets.

"It becomes competitive because every code wants to grow that supporter base," he said.
    These quotes go back to the points I made at the beginning of this thread. It doesn't matter that the combined ratings of FTA and Fox are misleading. What is imperative is that Rugby grows it's audience. AFL and Rugby League have significant coverage on FTA. This is where new fans are generated and TV ratings grow. The split coverage on Fox & FTA is working against Rugby. It is what causes the commercial decisions by networks not to do live telecasts, which drives the ratings and consequently the value of FTA rights further down........chicken or egg?

Rugby needs to get more coverage on FTA. Somehow Fox has to be convinced that, if the Rugby market is to grow, they need to allow limited S14 FTA coverage at decent times. The ARU needs to accept that they might have to take less or possibly no money, in the short term, from the FTA rights to get this coverage.

I don't agree with Robbie Deans line that there is room for all codes. Not at the true professional level anyway. I think there's really only room for one Rugby code at that level.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I was sadly one of those people watching Ritche Rich.

But I would MUCH rather have been watching the rugby but alas, babysitting at a place without foxtel and the girls wanted to watch Ritchie. It was just phone updates for me and sms's from chook saying Lote was scoring tries left right and centre. (lucky I had my 3 sports results to know that this was just wishful thinking)

I'm so dirty at channel 7 over this.

Channel 10 did a good job of the world cup, why can't they have a shot at the international season too?

I made Happy sad...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast