Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Perth's New Super Stadium

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    Is these the same person who said they don't see the Force homes games as significant sporting events???
    I wouldn't know...first I have heard of it.

They where used as an example of the culture the Force need to try and change...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    yeah theInnForcer might be able to give more details but apparantly that was/is their position...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    yeah theInnForcer might be able to give more details but apparantly that was/is their position...
    Different council Happy, John Giorgi is Town of Vincent, the knob(s) that believed the Western Force games (especially the first one) were not of significance are from the Town of Cambridge, home of the brown paper bag under the table!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    ahh my bad!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    Different council Happy, John Giorgi is Town of Vincent, the knob(s) that believed the Western Force games (especially the first one) were not of significance are from the Town of Cambridge, home of the brown paper bag under the table!!

Oh I hate The Town of Cambridge...bunch of noddies

That seems so dumb its incredibly hilarious.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Having grown up here, I have no doubt that the State Government will look at all the options, delay making a decision for as long as possible before making the worst call possible based on political expediency rather than common sense. Historically, they have consistently underestimated growth in this state and consequent infrastructure requirements, and I’m sure this will be no different.

For mine the ideal location would be the Entertainment centre site, probably in conjunction with sinking the rail line. It has minimal residential impact and is local to both train and bus transport hubs. It has direct access from the freeway both directions, so could incorporate parking that would provide a daily revenue stream. Inclusion of decent entertainment facilities would be advantageous in itself for a sport that enjoys strong corporate support, while the proximity to Northbridge would give those facilities an outside life for other events (conferences, school balls etc). It wouldn’t even exclude the nasty “multi-purpose” venue they are already planning, as the site is bigger than people give it credit for – check Google Earth and superimpose a stadium over the site.

But it is unlikely. Given that it will be somewhere else, the key requirements to my mind are access from multiple directions and some form of surrounding infrastructure to serve folk out for the night and blunt the impact of everyone trying to leave simultaneously. Of the identified options, Equity is at least local to a rail station that serves multiple lines and within walking distance of Northbridge. The other options mooted are all fairly ordinary, with the WACA being the worst of all. Apart from all the problems identified with access, seating etc, my biggest concern would be the nature of the field. They used to play aussie rules there, but my memory is that there was a significant impact on injuries due to ground hardness and the use of couch. I can’t see either of those changing to accommodate rugby, and I would also see fixture clashes given the early start to the rugby season.

I reckon the 60,000 seat stadium will be delayed as the AFL won’t sign on unless they have control of the ground and, delayed or not, it will distract from the requirement for a rugby ground. Interesting point earlier, that a move to an undersize stadium might be worse if it restricts the number of members or walk-ins to the matches. Maybe a longer stay at Subiaco might not be the worst outcome, if the additional attendance offsets the ridiculous ground fees. Better to have the bodies to push for the larger stadium, rather than accept a lesser stadium that restricts the potential for growth. If the support doesn’t show and attendances drop, the point will be proved and the smaller ground will be appropriate. Pity it is such a poor viewing location though.

A couple of final thoughts: The most important thing will be the specification of the new stadium when it happens. It must take expansion into account during the initial design, as the worst possible outcome would be a build and major reconstruction within a few years (see Subi). The selection of the surface will be crucial also, if the venue is to be shared with soccer. I was very impressed with the resurfacing of Waikato, which incorporates synthetic fibres into the surface (see http://www.waikatostadium.co.nz/inde...ID=2145820726). Soaking wet, it showed no effect whatsoever after a hard fought match.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Comparing The Force to The Glory is stupid. The Super 14s competition is on the international stage. It is regarded as one of the best, if not the best, rugby competitions in the world, hence the comparison with the Glory has no bearing.

A worthy argument that I have not seen published as yet is that we need more quality people coming to WA over the next 20 years. (Hang in there, it's coming.) Now WA is regarded as a lifestyle move for many immigrants, especially the professionals, that we badly need to attract. That being the case, it must be beneficial for the state to have an impressive sporting arena being broadcast internationally. It's a great sales tool for the state. If we show that we have a fantastic purpose built stadium with great crowds and all government sponsored the wow factor will entice people to Perth. Hard to say what the added value of this would be but I'm sure some number cruncher could come up with a figure . But really, how do you set a value on quality of life and having people feel that they live in one of the best cities in the world.

Looks like I'm on a ramble here.

Anyway....what can we as a small but passionate group do to help the cause. There are obviously some pretty smart people on this site so let's pull our resources and use our collective passion and smarts to do something.

We have posted several pages of comments and arguments on this subject, maybe it's time to walk the walk rather than just talk the talk.

I am willing to commit time to a project are any of you?

Remember, all the major achievements in this world start as small ideas......how about it, anybody else feel as strongly as me and willing to do something?

Finally, remember how the 6000 people on a Sunday morning turned up at Subiaco Stadium to say we want our team. Well if you don't then ..........It all started with two mothers siting at a Kitchen table saying that they wanted to help bring the super 14s to Perth because they didn't want their sons to have to go East to develop there rugby skills. Another small idea that ended up helping bring The Force to fruition. Imagine what we could do.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    I am willing to commit time to a project are any of you?
    yep! what did you have in mind ?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Where Do we sign up TEF?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'm in

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I'm in.....if nothing else, I can supply the refreshments (Margaret River's best!)

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    haha brilliant - nice to meet you yesterday jedi too!!!

vCash
    I could supply lighting, my mum and dad own a business.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Why don't we just build our own stadium??!!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Im a pessmist...I think the club should lessen its stance on demands and the stadium will be built after the Major Stadia Taskforce finish its advice...expect a new article this week, Im going to follow up on something that was revealed to me a few weeks back on the major stadium proposal (Not Rugby).

I've just been lazy...

Anyways good luck with it all...for obvious reason's I will not be an active member, but if it becomes organised, I will give the group some publicity through www.austadiums.com with an article. (I don't own the site, but have editorial control in regards to the articles I write)

Thanks egan

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast