Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: We are going to get a new rectangular stadium - allegedly.

vCash
    will you be there first hand to witness said atmosphere?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    About time.

Go The Force!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    They best just get the MES up to speed for 2010 its not that far away... If genuine renovations are required...

27,000 packed in the MES will have a great atmosphere... I'm looking forward with grand expectations to the first match already...

I hope they start a new trophy Force vs Brumbies... What could we call it?
    We could call it "The find Mudskipper Cup"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    More like
    "Where's the Wally"

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    You got the F part right the the other three letters are slightly different.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You got the F part right the the other three letters are slightly different.
    They don't by some chance rhyme with Duck??

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Thats a big 10-4.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stadium plans leave World Cup bid in danger

Tim Clarke
    July 28, 2009 - 7:01AM .
    The plan to completely rebuild Member's Equity Stadium at a cost of around $160 million will still leave Perth in danger of missing out on staging any games if Australia's bid to host soccer's World Cup is successful.

Staged upgrade plans will be officially unveiled tonight, with the intention to reshape the former Perth Oval based on Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, which houses 27,400 spectators.

With Town of Vincent mayor Nick Catania boldly predicting a 2012 finish date - if they are given the construction - planning with the council which owns the land freehold will take at least a year.

However, Sports Minister Terry Waldron has acknowledged the Government's plans will not solve WA's lack of a major arena to host soccer internationals - with the FFA looking to make a decision on potential World Cup venues by the end of this year.

"This stadium is going to be designed to meet the requirements of our State, our competitions, the state provincial competitions, Super 14 and the A-League," Mr Waldron said.

"With the World Cup, you are talking 2018 and 2022. There are other options including a greenfield site, and if we couldn’t work through the issues with this stadium we would have to look at that.

"There is Subiaco Oval which will always be used to host the bigger games, Test matches and those with crowds of 25,000-plus people.

"We have been talking to the football commission, and in the next two to three weeks they will be coming to us with a proposal.

"To meet the requirements of the World Cup I think Subiaco Oval could be the best answer."

The decision on Australia's bid for either the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will be made in December 2010, with Australia having to show a minimum of 12 stadiums, two of which must hold 80,000 fans and 10 with a minimum capacity of 45,000.

Opposition sports spokesman Ken Travers said this should be addressed urgently by the Government.

"I welcome trying to address the stadia in this state but this announcement is just another unfunded thought bubble," Mr Travers said.

"The Government does not have plans for stadia in WA, and have come up with an idea without funding and no lack of any detail.

The Government also needs to address the issue of Australia's world cup bid and Perth's place in it.

Mr Catania, who along with the Town of Vincent had been awaiting a decision its own $73 million proposal for improvements to Members Equity, admitted he had been "pleasantly surprised" by the Government announcement over the weekend.

With a year of planning details now to be thrashed out, Mr Catania flagged the authority's intention to push for control over construction, rather than the State Government.

"We were very pleasantly surprised at the extent of the plans," Mr Catania said.

"The Government well advised to give us that responsibility because we do it better, we know the oval, we are better negotiators in getting the best bang for our dollar.

"We are better at it than the Department of Sport and Recreation would be, they are sports people they are not builder, they do not know the oval like we do, and they don't know what services and how to use them.

"We will build it, and if that is the case the timeline will be shorter as well … we could deliver it by late 2012."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/st...0727-dylk.html

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    "This stadium is going to be designed to meet the requirements of our State, our competitions, the state provincial competitions, Super 14 and the A-League," Mr Waldron said.
    It meets the requirements at present.
    How unlike a WA government to not plan for the future
    Perry Lakes
    Beaty Park
    Subi Oval....................

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Looks like Catania is gonna throw a spanner in the works. He is only a lease holder AFAIK but he's saying he wants control over the construction as well. Hopefully it's just a bit of posturing to try and screw the best deal possible to forego the lease.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    To be fair to the WA Govenrment the plan to upgrade Subiaco Oval last time around was commisioned by the WAFC, they just went broke and had to be bailed out by the State Government

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    It meets the requirements at present.
    How unlike a WA government to not plan for the future
    Perry Lakes
    Beaty Park
    I'll try to do a little crystal ball gazing here. Waldron is and AFL stakeholder himself. The WAFC are not exactly screaming the house down because the rectangle is first out of the blocks. Ergo they have been given a nudge- nudge, wink-wink that they will be looked after and will retain management rights. Then they can charge rental fees for marquee fixtures that would embarrass a major bank.

Last edited by shasta; 28-07-09 at 09:57.

vCash
    I'm not surprised that everyone's baulking at the idea of building a World Cup venue - FIFA have said they want 40,000 permanent seats for any venue and you're not going to fill that stadium week-in, week-out for either Force or Glory. I'd rather attend a stadium which was 70-80% full than one half-full.

If Australia win the World Cup bid for either 2018 or 2022 there's still a decade to build a stadium, and presumably the federal government picking up the tab.

vCash
    I agree Sheikh. The only proviso would be to consider how big the crowd of the Western Force and Glory would be by 2022......40,000 might not be out of the ballpark if the franchises were managed properly!

C'mon the

vCash
    and a new commodity boom should help with that as well, Australia and Wa in particular could reasonably expect many more migrants from Europe and China and Africa as a result of the GEC - not many of these people currently support AFL.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast