Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rugby league Reds are back, on war footing

Senior Player
    vCash
    Showing that Western Australia is not full of AFL centric journalists...this has just been put up, shows the struggle the Reds have to gain the NRL place and to pay rent as a community body.
    Australian Stadiums :: WARL warn Perth: Jim Beam Cup support is crucial for NRL bid

I also know that next season the WA Rugby League are looking at combining Force and League memberships, would you be interested in paying a bit extra to get a Reds membership as well as a Force Membership?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan View Post
    Australian Stadiums :: WARL warn Perth: Jim Beam Cup support is crucial for NRL bid

I also know that next season the WA Rugby League are looking at combining Force and League memberships,
    Sounds like things are not going too well if they are getting worried before a home game has been played. I've been sceptical about the financial viability of this venture since the off. Personnaly I'll go along and support them, but it's a third/fourth tier competition and people won't pay a high entry fee. Travel costs will be a huge burden - I've heard Jim Beam are footing that bill. If they are it's a very generous sponsorship. Telling fans they'd better support this or else is pathetic. If the NRL had any balls to take the fight to the AFL they'd be on board. Your article shows the opposite. Typical Sydney-centric shortsightedness.

As to dual membership. I'd say that is entirely up to RugbyWA.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Telling fans they'd better support this or else is pathetic..
    That was me... the fact is if you want an NRL team in Perth, you need to support this team in the Jim Beam Cup, to show that Perth deserves a team.

vCash
    That was me... the fact is if you want an NRL team in Perth, you need to support this team in the Jim Beam Cup, to show that Perth deserves a team.
    With respect, that may be your opinion but you said it was a comment from Bill Nosworthy. That's what I said is pathetic.

Did the AFL base it's expansion into Sydney, Brisbane and possibly Western Sydney depend on anybody supporting a third division competition? Fact is they are on the front foot competing for TV dollars, sponsorship, bums on seats but most of all juniors. The N(SW)RL need to do the same in WA or surrender it to AFL and Rugby. I think they probably already have.

Currently there are 7 WA origin players competing in NRL teams, that I know of. But I have a feeling they could be among the last few. Most kids with Rugby ability will probably end up at the Force now.

Don't get me wrong here, like I said I'll support the Reds and I hope they succeed, in fact I read they have a thousand season tickets sold so that alone would probably make them the best supported JB Cup team in terms of attendances at least.

Apprentice
    vCash
    I also know that next season the WA Rugby League are looking at combining Force and League memberships, would you be interested in paying a bit extra to get a Reds membership as well as a Force Membership?
    Simply No .

Quite ludicrous suggestion really .

Where is the common link ?

vCash
    Rectangular stadium?

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbee View Post

Where is the common link ?

The Word Rugby

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Somehow I don't think rugbywa would need to and even consider it at all!!

I like how league put that out when all of us have heard nothing of it hahah

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Rectangular stadium?
    Rectangular field may be closer .
    So let's team up with Netball Australia .

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    The Word Rugby
    Yep , let's give a potential competitor a helping hand !
    That makes a lot of sense .
    But what would I know ?

Player
    vCash
    that would never happen surely (not that its not something im all for).
    i guess technically then you may be looking a rugby membership with entrance to all force and reds games, as well as two NRL games played by the rabbitohs in perth.
    how do you 'know' this? do you have a reliable source or am i going to have to ask mine?

Sounds like things are not going too well if they are getting worried before a home game has been played. I've been sceptical about the financial viability of this venture since the off. Personnaly I'll go along and support them, but it's a third/fourth tier competition and people won't pay a high entry fee. Travel costs will be a huge burden - I've heard Jim Beam are footing that bill. If they are it's a very generous sponsorship. Telling fans they'd better support this or else is pathetic. If the NRL had any balls to take the fight to the AFL they'd be on board. Your article shows the opposite. Typical Sydney-centric shortsightedness.
    bit over dramatic arent you? its not nearly as negative as all that, its simply stating the fact that if it isnt supported, it wont succeed. same applies for every other sporting franchise, if force were only going to be getting 7000-10000 fans at a game they would never have granted a license to them, the interest was their, the support came, and the franchise was a success. i dont know who is paying teams to fly here, but im pretty sure we are footing the majority of our bills.
    good to hear you will be at the games anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bort View Post
    that would never happen surely (not that its not something im all for).
    bit over dramatic arent you? its not nearly as negative as all that, its simply stating the fact that if it isnt supported, it wont succeed. same applies for every other sporting franchise, if force were only going to be getting 7000-10000 fans at a game they would never have granted a license to them, the interest was their, the support came, and the franchise was a success. i dont know who is paying teams to fly here, but im pretty sure we are footing the majority of our bills.
    good to hear you will be at the games anyway
    I don't think so. Just how I see things. It seemed pretty plain that Bill Nosworthy IS a bit worried. It was his interview that came up with the negatives after all. I just commented.

BTW travel/accomodation costs costs for the Western Reds and their oppo were the main reason they were basically losing money from day 1 in 1995.

As far as the Western Force franchise goes, they were awarded the franchise on a business plan that only budgeted for 5000 members with MES as their home stadium.

Apprentice
    vCash
    BTW travel/accomodation costs costs for the Western Reds and their oppo were the main reason they were basically losing money from day 1 in 1995.

As far as the Western Force franchise goes, they were awarded the franchise on a business plan that only budgeted for 5000 members with MES as their home stadium.
    The Western Reds were based on estimates of 15k at the WACA !
    Talk about chalk and cheese .

vCash
    Personnaly I'll go along and support them, but it's a third/fourth tier competition and people won't pay a high entry fee.
    Well ticket price has been announced. $ 15 for adults with a local RL curtain raiser. Very reasonable. Hopefully there will be a big crowd on Saturday Night.

From the WA Reds site.

WARL | Western Australian Rugby League

BE AT THE “WAR ZONE” THIS SATURDAY

Perth City v Perth Kiwi Kick Off 5.30pm

WA Reds v Southern Sydney Sharks Kick Off 7.30pm

Adults $15
    Child (U16) $8
    Pensioner $8
    Family $35 (2 Adult 2 Child U16)

W.A.R. is the initials of the WA Reds and it is the Reds intention to adapt this theme into the promotion of the home of Rugby League in WA, Members Equity Stadium, according to Chairman Geoff Baldwin.

From the kick off 7.30 pm of our first home game this Saturday we will proudly refer to our home ground as the “WAR ZONE” and we intend to make it just that for any visiting team, Mr Baldwin said.

“While the Reds will travel around 60,000 kilometres during the season, other teams in the Jim Beam Cup will only have to travel to Perth once so it is our intention to make their visit to the “WAR ZONE” a “memorable” one.

“With the expected support of a great crowd at our inaugural home game, the team are prepared to produce their best performance to date culminating in a win and a 2 – 2 season count.

“We now have around 600 members with more signing up daily, our sponsor support is strong and growing, we have negotiated a great airline deal with Virgin and we will this week announce a major naming rights agreement with an international brand company, so fans have every right to be confident about the future of Rugby League in the West.

“Obviously, attracting good crowds at our home games is critical to our progress and prosperity so we encourage every fan to not only come along but to bring their families and friends.

“During this week Perth will hear adverts on Mix 94.5 and 6PR and will also see advertising in the West promoting our game at the “WAR ZONE” and we expect this theme to be quickly adopted by anyone involved in supporting the Reds.

“This Saturday represents the biggest occasion for Rugby League in WA over the past ten years and we need every Rugby League fan to come along and enjoy the occasion at the “WAR ZONE”, he said.

vCash

Western Reds vs South Sydney Sharks

I just got home from the game & have a few realisations.
    1. Member's Equity is a fantastic ground for watching Rugby.
    2.Rugby Union is the only sport that I will watch a full game of.
    3. Force scarves are really warm. especially when warn like this:
    4. League is not too popular in WA, nor is it publicised (spelling?) enough
    5. Cheerleaders are entertaining...especially the 5 year old girls doing back flips and the boy with the red & silver flags!

When I got there, there was a max of about 200 people in the stands (only on the side where the boxes are) and I thought that more people would come as it was still 20 minutes to kick off.

The curtain raiser was a pretty good game. Didn't get to see it all though. The scoreboard was a chunk of wood in the back of a ute with some numbers stuck to it, expected that this was only going to be used during for this game.

A bit of an awards presentation. First the womens team and then the mens. Perth Kiwis won the curtain raiser and hence the trophy. That was all packed away & the field was cleared.

Both teams ran out for their pre-game warm ups. This went for about 10 minutes. Just as they were packing up...out came the cheerleader, which Im sure you guys would have loved...dont worry ladies it wasn't that bad. It was a whole bunch of girls + 1 boy from a cheerleading company. The youngest girls were about 5 & they did backflips and everything. Then they left and the Split Ends song 'I See Red' came on....

Some of the cheerleaders came out again to make a little run way for the Reds boys to run out of. South Sydney Sharks jogged out from 1 end of the field & the Reds from the other.

The game started. The crowd didn't get any bigger...the area that had the Gold seats for the Force vs Reds pre-season game was full, but that was about it really. Disappointing turn out from the Perth fans. Lots of Kiwis though, probably because most of the Sharks side seemed to be from New Zealand.

Good start to the Reds. 1 try but missed conversion...and yes the scoreboard remained as the slab of wood in the back of the ute. About 10 minutes later, after a lot of tackles, the Reds crossed for another try, this time the conversion went through. About another 10 minutes later the Sharks crossed for their first try of the game, pretty sure they converted. The Sharks water boy also spent a lot of time on the field, more time than one of the players who got the blood bin. The Reds coach also spent a bit of time on thei field... not sure what the go with that was or even if he was allowed to

At this stage the hypothermia was setting in & all the time spent on recycling the ball was getting a bit much & the brothwer decided enough was enough. Half time and we left.

Apologies to the Reds for leaving, nothing personal, Rugby League & hypothermia just aren't for me. Good first half though.

Last edited by laura; 19-04-08 at 21:58.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast