Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Squad so far

vCash
    Is this guy in the 30 or EPS?
    Strand resident and former Western Province player, Dillyn Leyds (21), left for Australia on Tuesday after being offered a contract with the Australian Super Rugby franchise, the Western Force.

Dillyn played fullback for the Baby Boks (SA u.20 team) in 2011. They won the Junior World Championship after beating the All Blacks in the final.

He currently plays for the WP u.21 team - the current log leaders - and Dillyn also featured in the WP Vodacom cup team this season.

His parents, Erica and Gershwin, are naturally extremely proud of their son’s achievement, saying that they will support him in his career.

“I know that WP wanted to keep him, but this is an opportunity of a lifetime which he worked hard for,” said Erica.

Dillyn’s rugby talent stems from his dad and his grandfather, the late Hubert Stewart, who played flyhalf for the Somerset West Rugby Council.

In previous years, Gershwin also captained the Strand Rugby Club.

Dillyn started his primary schooling at Hendrik Louw Primary in Strand in 1999, where he played with current WP and Stormers prop Steven Kittshof.

He was later awarded a bursary by Western Province Preparatory School in Claremont, where he played rugby and cricket and captained the rugby teams in all age groups.

“We only saw each other over weekends,” recalls Erica. “When he missed us too much he would visit us and spend the whole weekend just with us.”

In 2005 Dillyn attended Bishops College in Rondebosch, where he was later selected to the WP u.18 Academy team. He was called up to the WP u.18 Craven Week team that same year as a replacement.

In 2011 he attended the WP Rugby Academy in Stellenbosch and was a regular member of the WP u.19 Currie Cup team.

In 2012, which was a big year for him, he was selected for the UCT Varsity Cup team. His great form earned him the title of 2012 Varsity Cup Rookie of the year and also resulted in his being called to the Junior Springboks preliminary squad for the Junior World Cup held in SA in the same year.

“Somebody saw his talent,” says Gershwin about his son’s latest achievement.

“He accepted this challenge - which shows that he is determined to work hard at his career,” Gershwin adds.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    High lights of Dillyn

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Main Squad = 30
    Extended Playing Squad = 5
    Wider Training Group = ??

Both these latest chaps and some others like JT are in the WTG

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Thanks TIF.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Just a couple of thoughts please indulge me.

Some of the second string (wider)development players that have been mentioned around seem to be of a high standard well at least a lot higher than anything we have had around previously on the next step up category. With some of the money saved by not having "big name" (big ego) players around is extra cash being pumped into this area?

Having some class in the next step down can only be good for the whole group as competition will thrive and not having fly in mercenaries who don't understand the team and culture will also be a help.

Also there seems to be a move away from eastern states players to overseas players. My old boss who was recruiting for a hard to fill isolated residential role told me that getting a Saffa would be better due to the visa controls and the ability to keep him employed for a known period of time. This coming from a Saffa was amusing to me, but is this what is happening here?

Last edited by sandgroperrugby; 29-11-13 at 16:53.
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Force seem to banking on the new competition and being pretty proactive. Very exciting. I'd love the Force to announce who they actually have training with them at the moment.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I for one believe there has to be players available in club rugby academies private schools and playing other sports who are aussie born and bred who would be good enough if given the chance.

These kids should be given the first refusal to play in these competitions.

I for one am getting disheartened with the influx of South African nationals into our development sides who are being flown over from the RSA

Michael Foley and the rest of the coaching and scouting network get out and network with kids parents and schools rugby clubs and other sports get kids who have the discipline for other sports but won't make the grade let teach them how to play rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    I for one believe there has to be players available in club rugby academies private schools and playing other sports who are aussie born and bred who would be good enough if given the chance.

These kids should be given the first refusal to play in these competitions.

I for one am getting disheartened with the influx of South African nationals into our development sides who are being flown over from the RSA

Michael Foley and the rest of the coaching and scouting network get out and network with kids parents and schools rugby clubs and other sports get kids who have the discipline for other sports but won't make the grade let teach them how to play rugby.
    We have never had more west aussies in the squad in the clubs history...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Don't disagree but still I want more Aussies in the side hard to grow the game and make head way against the afl tide in this state if the parents and the kids can't see playing rugby as a realistic and viable option for young men looking at potential careers in professional sport

Rookie
    vCash
    Also leaves a little extra cash to pay out contracts of a couple of guys who didn't appear to make the grade last year. Sounds harsh but this administration has been known to open up a couple of spots in the squad by doing this before.

Player
    vCash
    Don't disagree but still I want more Aussies in the side hard to grow the game and make head way against the afl tide in this state if the parents and the kids can't see playing rugby as a realistic and viable option for young men looking at potential careers in professional sport
    I hear what you are trying to say, but several of these South Africans are southern African born, but now reside in Australia, giving them every right to play. And in building a squad, you build following, you build support and you build winning. The approach that is being taken is finally the correct one after a couple years of directionlessness. The blue print in place right now, will ensure that WA will be the power house of Australian rugby, of winning Australian rugby within the next 10yrs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I sense a wee bit of SA arrogance here?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Agree BGDF my personal view on this south african influx at the EPS level and even in the main squad is one of skepticism if these south african players were that ''good'' they would have made the grade in their country of origin.

I am fully aware no matter what sport you have there will be people in positions of influence that will use their own bias agendas ect to further their own cause and people who in all fairness are on the wrong side of such a decision will have no recourse to challenge such a decision which to me really stinks.

Player
    vCash
    My view point is one of the New Zealand,Fijian, Tongan, Samoan, Irish, English, Welsh, French, South African, Zimbabwean and other world nation families that have come over for the work opportunities and Eastern States players that have come over for the chance to play after being stuck behind other players in squads. The influx of ideas, skill sets etc can only be a good thing. The kids of these families grow up following a team, and if there is a relatable player/ story for these kids/families all the better. When a team/squad gets on a winning role more following is created and the system snowballs.
    Who wouldn't want a team of Tongan front rowers, Southern African loosies, Australian halves, Kiwi centres and Fijian wings just as roughly outlined squad. Western Australia has that going for it, hence the 10year comment.
    I am not saying South African players are the best, but I am saying that this is a good step for the Force team and Franchise, and can only benefit the medium and long term growth and success of Australian rugby.
    Read this in a tone of an earnest rugby fan, ardent Force fan, so no arrogance or skepticism.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Agree BGDF my personal view on this south african influx at the EPS level and even in the main squad is one of skepticism if these south african players were that ''good'' they would have made the grade in their country of origin.

I am fully aware no matter what sport you have there will be people in positions of influence that will use their own bias agendas ect to further their own cause and people who in all fairness are on the wrong side of such a decision will have no recourse to challenge such a decision which to me really stinks.
    Sorry Peter, disagree. there are millions of players in south africa and only the same number of super teams. with added competition for spots it stands to reason that their fringe players will be closer to the mark than ours. Logic would also suggest that their squads have a smaller gap between their best player and their worst player.

I see no issue with taking a talented young player from a big market like that

C'mon the

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast