Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force teen booked for special date

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    So you agree then???

If you don't, what team has a better back line??? I'd like to know.

The Reds don't even come close. For the next couple years I'd probably say Barnes over O'Connor. But that's about the only Reds player who could get a game with the Force. Once O'Connor has a few years more experience even Barnes might not be good enough. Now you guys don't even have Moore...man the Reds are going to suck next year.
    i think Moses has spoken for me....

and at what point did i mention the Reds? im not that misled that i think the Reds are going to have the best backline, neither will the Force.

Also, the halfback is definetly part of the backline, 9-10 is probably the most important combination in the backline...

Are you on drugs at the moment?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the force might not have the best backline based on each individual player. But the backline does have flair. Ask any Saffa or Kiwi and he will tell you the Force has one of the best attacking backline in terms of tis flair and creativity, right alongside the crusaders. The force relies heavily on its backs and thus, plays a more exciting rugby.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post

Also, the halfback is definetly part of the backline, 9-10 is probably the most important combination in the backline...

I've already explained why I chose not to include 9 in my post. But if I must.

9 anyone with two arms and two legs
    10 Giteau
    11 Mitchell
    12 O'Connor
    13 Cross
    14 Staniforth
    15 Shepherd.

Still one of the best backlines around.

vCash

but its not the best

vCash
    but its not the best
    Best in Super 14...can't really compare to euro, as I haven't watched much of it. But Super 14 is a pretty good comp, so the best in Super 14 would probably be one of the best in the world.

vCash
    Best in Super 14...can't really compare to euro, as I haven't watched much of it. But Super 14 is a pretty good comp, so the best in Super 14 would probably be one of the best in the world.
    hahah FFS, you dont even watch other comps but you reckon you could have the best backline.

In all honesty, i think the NSW actually have a better backline.

vCash
    Mate there's more holes in your story than a woolen rug in Dunedin, but I'll bite just for the hell of it
    I never had the 9 in there from the start. I guess it is technically part of what is generally referred to as the "backline."
    hence the term "half-back", and the way that he doens't pack into the scrum
    But I chose to exclude it in this case and was just concentrating on the 10-15 positions.
    lets just assume 10 takes quick taps all game then
    The main reason I left it out, is because I dont' really know who is going to start there for the Force next year.
    and the other positions are settled? What if... Shepherd is still injured or recovering from liposuction, Mitchell swaps JOC and Gits, starts Sare and puts Stanners on the bench for utility cover? All possible surely
    the group of Force players are better than what the Hurricanes have to offer.
    21-10 at last meeting on the strength of a late solo try to Cameron Shepherd does not a dominant backline make
    you said the Tahs group is better than the Force group.
    perhaps if you ever beat us, I might change my mind.
    10-15, is 6 players.4 out of the Forces 6 made the Wallabies first choice 22.
    why don't you look at 10-13 then the Tahs have NONE, they must be useless! One more point of order before I fall down from the hilarity of your arguments, I'm not claiming that the Tahs have, and I quote, "the best back line in world rugby", hence I don't need to argue their merits. I do believe it's a better backline than the Force, but then again I could just look at the highlights of all the tries your world class backline scored against us for confirmation of this.
    i think Moses has spoken for me....

and at what point did i mention the Reds? im not that misled that i think the Reds are going to have the best backline, neither will the Force.

Are you on drugs at the moment?
    Damn you gusafl, now I'm agreeing with a Queenslander :thumbsdown.

Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    The force relies heavily on its backs
    Because your forwards are useless!

Last edited by Moses; 01-08-08 at 13:19.

vCash
    hahah FFS, you dont even watch other comps but you reckon you could have the best backline.

In all honesty, i think the NSW actually have a better backline.
    Hmmm fine line I'd call it TOCC. For mine I reckon our backline would shade the 'Tahs in all but defence. Their gameplan and much of their success this year was built around an agressive attacking defensive mindset rather than attacking flair.

The 'Tahs sure have the runs on the board this year and for that you'd have to call them the best Aussie backline in the S14, but The have a great, offensive backline with some laserlike weapons and a pretty reasonable defence, Put them behind a pack that is gaining any sort of momentum and you're in for a VERY bad day. OTOH the 'Tahs backs will ply their trade happily whether the forwards are winning or losing (well not losing by too much but you know what I mean)

It all adds up to a close run choice and I'd say where you fall for the actual title of best backline depends very strongly on your personal tastes.

since it's so close, I'm using the benefit of rabid one-eyed fandom and saying the backline including the player bepth we have, behind a perfoming pack is the best of all in the southern hemisphere.

Dammit, Moses made half of my arguments before I did, I must be getting senile in my old age!

Last edited by GIGS20; 01-08-08 at 13:17.
    C'mon the

vCash

How many other back lines out there have 5 (6 if Valentine gets the start at 9) out of the 7 positions filled by international players for the 3rd ranked team in the world?

Whatever, I'm done with this topic. I don't even know why you guys are getting so bent out of shape. I specifically said in my first post "could be.." Leaves it quite open don't you think. For all we/I know, Shepherd's ankle might not heal well, O'Connor could be a bust and Giteau might get injured in week 1. Lots of uknowns here. But surely you agree that if all of those guys play to their full potential then it has to be one of the best backlines around. Surely.

vCash
    fair enough

for the record, the Force scored the 2nd least amount of tries in 2008

vCash
    So, they're not the worst backline then

vCash
    fair enough

Ok, I'm coming out of retirement on this topic.

I don't know...maybe our forwards just aren't that great.

vCash
    fair enough

You can't score tries if you don't have adequate grunt up front.

vCash
    I've already explained why I chose not to include 9 in my post. But if I must.

9 anyone with two arms and two legs
    10 Giteau
    11 Mitchell
    12 O'Connor
    13 Cross
    14 Staniforth
    15 Shepherd.

that could very possibly be the best backline. singling them out really draws away from it, but these guys really work very very well together as a backline. they might not be the best players the world has ever seen, but they are a great unit. we have 3 wallabies in there, and stanners and cam are injured, and before anyone pounces on me, i dont think JOC should be a wallaby just yet!!!

it could be the best backline, i think a lot of influence on whether or not its good will come from the scrumhalf situation. who knows what will happen. but if you look at what we have there, that is a top class backline. they just need some support from the other guys on the field more

isnt there some kind of saying about forwards do the grunt work and the backs finish it all off? well the forwards were a bit lacking this year, and i suppose the lack there kindof rubbed off onto our backs. you cant finish something that hasnt been started!

In all honesty, i think the NSW actually have a better backline
    wtf? he just said the best in s14. he didnt say it was the best in the world... what does that have to do with other comps??

and moses, do you really think stanners is better than cross (no sarcasm, genuine curiousity) ?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    this could be the best back line in world rugby next season.
    looks like the world to me Robbers.

And yeah, Stanners at 12/13 is awesome. That's the position he made the Wallabies and went to the RWC as. He reads the game better than Cross, likely due to have actually played it for a sustained period of time. He runs awesome lines and breaks tackles at will.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast