Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: tonights 3rd try!

vCash
    True!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    What is it with all of you people? The ones calling him a linesman, I mean.

The dude on each side of a rugby field holding a flag and indicating when the ball goes out is a touch judge. Even "back home" in NZ, for all those of youse from over there (all former All Black triallists no doubt).

Anyway, from my perspective it was the TJ's call, and the TJ's fault, and his score from his assessor will have been crap, deservedly so.

Seems to me that some of the TJ's in any sort of international can sometimes get carried away in assisting the actual referee an forget their primary duties (ie anything to do with touch). Maybe this is what happened on the night. And certainly a lesson for the bloke (yes, who already should know better) that he will never forget.

...and I have heard that Kaplan is not so well liked back in SA. Something about his religion...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Ecky - could Kaplan have asked the TMO for a ruling?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky
    Seems to me that some of the TJ's in any sort of international can sometimes get carried away in assisting the actual referee an forget their primary duties (ie anything to do with touch).
    Couldn't agree more mate.
    So often they are just confirming what the Ref has already ruled on.
    Surely with the technology they can wait for the break in play and with the coms system say "Did you see..." then come on if the Ref didn't see it.
    In regard to this item though, as most are alluding to, the TJ's primary function is to what happens off the field, not on it!
    I reckon Paddy O'Brien may be making a fair few "instructive" phone calls this week.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo
    shame on the ref for awarding the try, also what was the ball boy thinking, throw the towel at him first then the ball, this free try which led on to a bonus point could have massive implications on the final table, at least sharpie had a go at the ref about the ball that was in play!

Not the ball boy's fault at all. Basically they are out there to retrieve the balls, dry them off and give them to the players. If a player asks for the ball or towel it is not their job to say you can't do a quick line-out with this ball. They should give them the ball every time. I would suspect that if he hadn't given him the ball then he would most likely have been fired.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    A question for slomo!!

Had you been the ball boy - what would you have done ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash

Angry unprofessional referees

Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    That mistake was laughable, something you would see in a under 16 match with someones father running the touchline...Unbelievable it could happen in the professional arena, it was a bloody joke...
    quite right, my thoughts too. A stupid mistake that you MIGHT expect from a Ref in their first year, and at under 15 level. NOT the sort of thing a well paid professional should ever allow to happen.
    It the ball is heading out the Ref, along with the TJ's, is supposed to watch or be aware of its flight (to confirm if and where it goes out).
    Either a) the Ref was not watching the ball or the play (his job)
    or b) he saw it and ignored it.

Either way it was another example of slack or inept referreing standards in S14, Umanga has it right.
    With FOUR, highly paid full-time professional referees watching the game. Simple errors are still made. And, worst of all - nobody is allowed to say anything about it. Only one mention in one newspaper, a brief hint on one TV news - but otherwise - nothing.
    If Refs want to be paid as Pros, they have to act like it and expect scrutiny.

When I stuff up at work, every bastard knows about it and they all let me know..

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    As most of you know I was in one of the RugbyWA boxes on Friday and I was sharing it with Andy Dalton (former All Black captain and current CEO of The Blues) and his partner and two other local friends, very cozy.

When this happened I broke my usual silence with "he can't f#*cking do that" at which point Andy turmed to me shaking his head in disbelief.

I would be interested to know if he "could" have gone to the TMO under the "any reason I can't award a try" question? And if not, is there further scope to review this situation to avaoid it happening again....I would really hate a RWC to be decided by such an incident!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    shaking his head in disbelief at your potty mouth, or the try?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    As most of you know I was in one of the RugbyWA boxes on Friday and I was sharing it with Andy Dalton (former All Black captain and current CEO of The Blues) and his partner and two other local friends, very cozy.

When this happened I broke my usual silence with "he can't f#*cking do that" at which point Andy turmed to me shaking his head in disbelief.

I would be interested to know if he "could" have gone to the TMO under the "any reason I can't award a try" question? And if not, is there further scope to review this situation to avaoid it happening again....I would really hate a RWC to be decided by such an incident!
    My god, there's a post under that name dropping....

Seeing as it all happened on the same phase, I really can't see a reason why he couldn't go to the TMO... From what I heard of Kaplan's conversation with Sharpe, the touch judge had said it was ok and as Kaplan hadn't seen it, was not going to overrule him.

If anyone has the time to send a well-worded e-mail, this is definitely one for the inside rugby guys.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Until I hear from someone qualified, my understanding as stated earlier is that the TMO can only rule in goal including the try and deadball lines.
    There was an incident in this weeks matches (I think the Tahs match) where a ruling on the whether the player had touched the sideline first was asked for. To my knowledge the TMO should not have been asked that question.
    Originally the rule was the Ref had to ask specifically what he wanted to have reviewed.
    That is he would have to ask, "Did the player touch the dead ball line and did the defender get a hand under the ball?"
    Even if the TMO could see a knock on he could not rule on that and if the player didn't touch the deadball line and the defender didn't get a hand under the ball the try would be awarded even though there was a knock on in the replay.
    That is why now you hear the Ref when he is unsighted (most of the time ) ask "Is there any reason I cannot award the try?"
    This covers their arse.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Having purused the IRB site, the TMO definitely can't look at anything outside the in-goal area...

The referee these days is advised to ask only one of two questions..

a. Check (specific thing, grounding, etC)?
    b. Is there any reason for me not to award this try?

There is a proposal that TMO’s area of adjudication be extended to include the whole phase of play that ended with the scoring of points. This phase would be after the previous stoppage and not include any stoppage (scrum, line-out, free kick or penalty). It could include passes, tackles, rucks, mauls and kicks.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    if the last stopage went for 2+ mins and the TMO had to check everything described above .. it could take a long time to award try's.....

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    That's right, and in this proposal they said that in extreme cases they were prepared to do that...

I do also like this other proposal about letting the ref have access to the TMO screen so he himself can review the footage.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Which confirms the (?Tahs) call was wrong also.
    The proposal would bring the powers of the TMO into line with Mungo Ball too.
    If it happens, I hope it would only be used if there was genuine doubt about some aspect of the play rather than as a matter of course for every try resulting in making the Refs not accountable.
    It has got a little that way with runouts in cricket where even if the batsman is clearly in they still check.
    There has to be a balance between accuracy and expediency.
    I would prefer each Captain to have a single appeal per half to question a try than to have every try checked.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast