Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sharpe in doubt for France Test

vCash
    Maybe we are all one-eyed Force supporters who won't hear a bad word about any of our boys. But I'm stuffed if I can work out how someone apparently so patently useless managed to convince a bunch of supposedly knowledgable rugby types to award him the John Eales medal.

I'm not going to groan someone for having an opinion, but for my money, the phrases "i don't rate Sharpe", or "I think Mumm/Vicks/Horwill/MMM are better options" convey the same message, without the antagonism.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turban View Post
    Thats my handy work. I have to say Sharpie has been a big dissapointment these last few years and I'm incredibly excited about seeing the Wallabies free from the burden of Mr. Sharpe, the Fly-half in a Locks body. The man who's 2m frame has cursed him to be stuck in a single figure jersey, the giant lock who would be a inside back if it wasn't for his size, speed and inability to pass or kick under pressure. Sorry guys but as a Western Force supporter I can say without an iota of bias that Sharpie is a cancer who has been slowly destroying the Wallabies from the inside for the past few years. Someone needs to tell him to put his head down and do some real grunt work before I'll respect him as a International class lock. Being good at lineouts and occatioanlly linking with the backs is not good enough to play lock down in Bunburys U/14's B-team.
    as usual animated tv provides the best quotes.

"while i do not agree with what you say, i shall defend your right to say it"

Peter Griffin off family guy

i guess we will find out when the 3N squad is announced on Monday and when the team is announced to take on the saffers in Perth.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Those "supposedly rugby types" are his fellow players who vote on the Eales Medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Those "supposedly rugby types" are his fellow players who vote on the Eales Medal.
    Personally I would rate their opinion fairly highly. I can't imagine they'd award such a thing to someone they regarded as a 'burden' or cancer to the Wallabies. There's plenty of other talented blokes to choose from.

vCash
    Turban, welcome and hope you keep posting your opinions here. I, for one, agree to a degree with some of the comments. Perhaps it sounded a bit harsh but I see no point in sugar-coating for the sake of appeasement. I've said before, Sharpie needs to run from some depth if his intention is to run with the backs, at current form he's hardly making the gain-line.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Turban, welcome and hope you keep posting your opinions here. I, for one, agree to a degree with some of the comments. Perhaps it sounded a bit harsh but I see no point in sugar-coating for the sake of appeasement. I've said before, Sharpie needs to run from some depth if his intention is to run with the backs, at current form he's hardly making the gain-line.
    I agree maybe I overplayed it abit, lets just say I was following in the footsteps of Sharpie who overplays his hand to the extream.

I'm well aware of his award and his reputation and the attitude of the Australian Rugby Fraternaty towards him I just don't agree with it. It's the most frustrating thing about being a Force fan for me, watching Sharpe hanging out wide, passing the ball, providing no shunt in the scrum and no presence at the breakdown. I'm at a loss to understand how he has earned his reputation as a world class lock because I rarely see him doing what World Class locks do outside of the lineout. He doesn't hit lots of rucks and blow away opponents, he doesn't smash it up in close and shed tackles and any scrum he is involved in will split and crumble under pressure.

Lets be clear I love the Force, I nearly fell off the 2nd tier stand when Shepard put the ball thru vs the Cane's last year and I've never missed a game live, but Sharpe has only played a few games that I as a fellow lock rate as great games where he lived up to his potential/reputation.

Oh and feel free to Groan about my posts I just didn't know about the system. At least I know they were read if people Groan them!

vCash
    Turban, I see where you're coming from and I can agree that Sharpie sometimes has not had Grade A performances. But he is our captain, and he must have done something and still be doing these these things to be given such a high authority placement.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I agree maybe I overplayed it abit, lets just say I was following in the footsteps of Sharpie who overplays his hand to the extream.

I'm well aware of his award and his reputation and the attitude of the Australian Rugby Fraternaty towards him I just don't agree with it. It's the most frustrating thing about being a Force fan for me, watching Sharpe hanging out wide, passing the ball, providing no shunt in the scrum and no presence at the breakdown. I'm at a loss to understand how he has earned his reputation as a world class lock because I rarely see him doing what World Class locks do outside of the lineout. He doesn't hit lots of rucks and blow away opponents, he doesn't smash it up in close and shed tackles and any scrum he is involved in will split and crumble under pressure.

Lets be clear I love the Force, I nearly fell off the 2nd tier stand when Shepard put the ball thru vs the Cane's last year and I've never missed a game live, but Sharpe has only played a few games that I as a fellow lock rate as great games where he lived up to his potential/reputation.

Oh and feel free to Groan about my posts I just didn't know about the system. At least I know they were read if people Groan them!
    Thankyou for explaining. Now that I have a better understanding of where you're coming from, I can see your point of view. I don't agree with what you said before and I still don't entirely agree with you now, but I appreciate your explanation.

The groan wasn't personal. Welcome to TWF and I do hope you keep posting your opinions.

vCash
    i'm gonna agree with kenya.
    i think sharpie is a champion. but he needs to step up more.
    if he doesnt i think he could loose his posistion depending on this weekend's results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Personally I would rate their opinion fairly highly. I can't imagine they'd award such a thing to someone they regarded as a 'burden' or cancer to the Wallabies. There's plenty of other talented blokes to choose from.
    well David Lyons and Jeremy Paul are two other players to get the medal as well.. i think those two names speak for themselves.

David Lyons, couldnt even crack the Tahs the last couple of years.
    Jeremy Paul, became a drunk, dumped his wife and started dating a 19yr old girl

Im not saying that sharpe didnt deserve the medal when he received it, but i dont think he is playing nearly as good as he used to.

vCash
    At the risk of being labelled another biased Western force fan, can any of the Sharpe detractors explain why they think he would be allowed to persist with his positioning in attack, under coaches Conolly, Mitchell and Deans if that was contrary to instructions?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

Welcome along Turban, I read your fist post and was a bit affronted (calling my man a cancer was a bit rich) but wanted to understand where you're coming from before I rushed for any groan buttons.

Let's face it, you say a lot of verry accurate stuff about Sharpie, he does spend too little time in the ruck and too much time out in the centres throwing two man cutout passes to a point two feet in front of the winger on the bust!!!!!!!!

Don't change what you say mate. I wasn't offended at all about your analysis, and your second post confirmed it. It's just that there are some non- fans around who seem to enjoy stirring up our younger members with harsh words of criticism against our boys. I reckon the cancer call was the one which made it sound like it had come from a less reputable source!

Have a great trip here mate! Hopefully mummy's boy will have a blinder this week and cause Sharpie to have to fight for his spot....knowing the man from afar, I'm sure the adversity will cause him to fulfil both sides of his game well!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    At the risk of being labelled another biased Western force fan, can any of the Sharpe detractors explain why they think he would be allowed to persist with his positioning in attack, under coaches Conolly, Mitchell and Deans if that was contrary to instructions?
    Change some words around and insert Floppy BAxtah, Donut and Tuqiri

Oh, And TUrban, people use the Groan for comic effect around here. Personally I think its a bit weak and shows a lack of comic timing and delivery, but there you go. Welcome aboard.

The Cheers button is far more classy.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    There have been:
    a) a lack of stand out replacements for a number of years, I belive Horwill and Vickerman would be our best 2nd row with McMenimum biting at their heels but Horwill and McMenimum are still quite fresh and the latter is often injured. Hopefully we will see these 3 players in test jerseys regularly this year.
    b) the way the rugby fraternaty in Australia seems to work is they close ranks around the incumbents, Sharpe was once a great lock, people seem to think he will always be one because of the fact that he was once upon a time. He has been on a steady decline for about 3 years and during that time rugby journos and fellow players have refused to admit that he was not the same player who was once hearlded as the next John Eales (And i DON'T mean by winning the medal). It's hard to critizise the test vice-captain. Tuqiri gets similar treatment.
    c) Everyone has different opinions, I'm constantly watching Sharpe waiting for him to show me what plenty of you guys seem to notice, some brilliance, some hardness, some actions which will change my opinion but the more I watch the less I see.

Australian Rugby has been cursed over the past 5 or so years with a very weak tight 5, we haven't had replacements for the likes of Dunning, Baxter & Sharpe and we have had numerous hookers, McIssac, Hardman, Paul, Moore who have often failed to deliver solid test level performances for one reason or another. We are finally seeing some decent tight forwards coming through and I'm looking forward to them stepping up and making the selection panal have some tough decisions and maybe Sharpe will realise he has to lift his game and return to doing some of the things he used to do.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Oh and one last thing, I've noticed that nobody has come out and said look at this game or that game Sharpe was immense (and he does have the odd good game). You have all hidden behind the "Coaches" and the "Awards" and said well he must be doing something right to convince everyone else. Sorry guys but I like to make up my own opinions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast