Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shepherd out, Inman back for Force

vCash
    Personally i think they are much of a muchness.. Inman has got go forward and Sidey has the defensive game and a better step. What james is saying is Inman has been shoved straight into the starting lineup after not playing 7 games.. this is a risk that we shouldnt be taking. Heres hoping he steps up

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force home in on strong finish

AAP, The West Australian
    May 5, 2011, 1:25 pm

The Western Force have set their sights on winning all four of their remaining Super Rugby derbies in an ambitious bid to finish second in the Australian conference.

The Force currently sit fourth in the Australian conference, 12 points adrift of the second-placed Waratahs ahead of their Sydney Football Stadium showdown on Saturday night.

Although the Force's finals hopes are all but over following their slow start to the season, coach Richard Graham was confident his team had the ability and form to overtake the Brumbies and Waratahs by season's end.

"There's the old the cliche you've got to look after yourself, and in this instance we can," Graham said today.

"We've got the four other teams (to play in the Australian conference) and it's very important we win all four of those games.

"There's no doubt everyone loves to play the Tahs.

"(It's a) good opportunity for us this weekend. We need to go there and win.

"If we do that we'll look after ourselves as our season progresses."

Force fullback Cameron Shepherd has been ruled out of the Waratahs match due to a minor knee complaint.

But Shepherd's absence has been offset by the return of outside centre Mitch Inman, who has recovered from the elbow dislocation he suffered in round two against the Sharks.

Inman returned to club ranks last week but lasted just three minutes before copping an accidental boot to the head from a teammate at the breakdown.

The 22-year-old was unable to return to the field after the blow and required more than 20 stitches to fix the gash.

"He just got tackled and one of his own teammates kicked him in the head," Graham said.

"But it's nothing that's going to be a hangover or an issue this week.

"(It was) quite amusing if you're there watching, but if you're Mitch (you'd be) a little more embarrassed than anything."

Inman, who will join the Melbourne Rebels next season, enjoyed a breakout season with the Force last year and will be a welcome inclusion to a side that is back to near full-strength following the recent returns of David Pocock and Mat Hodgson.

"It (Inman's dislocated elbow) was a really nasty injury. Everyone that was there and saw the dislocation of his elbow were sickened by it," Graham said.

"But he's worked hard, the medical team have been outstanding in getting him back and he's been ready now for two weeks."

Utility back Pat Dellitt moves from outside centre to fullback to cover for Shepherd, while flanker Hodgson returns to the run-on side at the expense of Ben McCalman, who has been named on the bench after a heavy workload this season.

NSW thrashed the Force 31-3 when the sides met in Perth last month.

But with Waratahs No.8 Wycliff Palu (hamstring), captain Phil Waugh (hamstring) and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau (concussion) all sidelined, the Force fancy their chances of putting a dent in NSW's finals hopes.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...strong-finish/

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pat McCutcheon faces Wallaby Force field

Bret Harris From: The Australian May 06, 2011 12:00AM

WALLABIES tourist Pat McCutcheon will go head to head with David Pocock for the first time when the NSW Waratahs play Western Force in the Super Rugby game in Sydney tomorrow night.

But McCutcheon will be competing against the entire Force backrow for a place in the Wallabies' 30-man World Cup squad.

McCutcheon, who is starting for the Waratahs in place of injured captain and openside flanker Phil Waugh, will be compared not only to Pocock, but Force blindside flanker Matt Hodgson and No 8 Richard Brown.

The Force also boasts another Wallabies loose forward, Ben McCalman, on the bench.

McCutcheon toured Hong Kong and Europe with the Wallabies last year, but has not played a Test.

The Wallabies carried seven backrowers on the tour -- Brown, Rocky Elsom, Scott Higginbotham, Hodgson, McCalman, McCutcheon and Pocock -- but they may not all go to New Zealand.

"You look at the Force backrow and they have some world-class players," McCutcheon said. "It's pretty much a Wallabies backrow. Coming up against those players is what we look forward to. It is why we play the game to put yourself out there for a challenge and hopefully come out on top.

"With the Wallabies selectors there, it probably puts on a little bit more heat, but you know they are watching every game you play.

"It's been great to be able to get some starting time at No 7.

"Phil Waugh has had a strong hold over that role for the last couple of years.

"Unfortunately he has been out with injury, but as with all injuries an opportunity comes to someone else and hopefully I'm taking that opportunity."

McCutcheon's ability to compete with Pocock, arguably the world's best openside flanker, will be decisive.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said the breakdown was the battle that had to be won to win the war.

While McCutcheon has not played against Pocock before, he was in the same Australian Schoolboys and under-19 teams, packing down at No 8.

Knowing how Pocock plays and combating him are two different things. "He has an all-round skillset," McCutcheon said. "He is physically there, he is mentally there. He gets right involved in the game.

"What I can do to counter that is try to get in the best nick and the best mental shape going into the game so I can put myself out there and get myself involved.

"What makes him different from other players in his preparation are the one-percenters. He tries to focus on every aspect of the game.

"As an opposition player all I can do is focus on my play, work out what his strengths are and try to counteract that."

Waratahs five-eighth Berrick Barnes did not train yesterday because of a quadriceps strain, but is expected to play.

Meanwhile, back-up Waratahs hooker Damien Fitzpatrick is poised to re-sign with the team.

Fitzpatrick, who is sidelined with a knee injury, had been courted by the Brumbies, who are looking for a replacement for back-up hooker Huia Edmonds.

It is understood Fitzpatrick thought about leaving NSW after third-string hooker John Ulugia was preferred to him for the match with the Cheetahs in round five, but has decided to stay.

Ulugia, who will start against the Force in the absence of Tatafu Polota-Nau and Fitzpatrick, is also expected to re-sign as the third hooker and back-up prop.

The Brumbies are now expected to look at Luke Holmes and Ben Roberts, who will sit on the Waratahs bench tomorrow night, as back-up to Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226050735106

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mitchell's absence leaves Tahs lacking attacking thrust and provides Force with fresh hope
    Greg Growden
    May 6, 2011

THE Western Force believe the loss of Drew Mitchell has made the Waratahs vulnerable and will have a major effect on how both teams play tomorrow night.

It hasn't taken long for Waratahs fans to discover Mitchell's Super season-ending leg injuries will hit their team hard. The Waratahs' counterattack lacked its usual punch against the Rebels last Saturday night, resulting in a high percentage of one-out play that lacked direction. The Waratahs attacking plan became speculative.

The Force took note, and believe if they produce the right game plan they can rebound from the pain they experienced in round eight when the Waratahs won 31-3 in Perth. The Waratahs were close to full strength. They have since been decimated by injury, and will be without Tatafu Polota-Nau, Phil Waugh, Wycliff Palu and Rob Horne at the SFS. But Force coach Richard Graham believes the absence of Mitchell could be most crucial. ''We will obviously be facing a different [Waratahs] side without Drew,'' Graham said yesterday. ''His influence is enormous in terms of his ability, particularly from broken play, to get them going forward.''

This will give the Force greater confidence in playing a kicking game, aimed at having the Waratahs regularly perched near their own tryline. If Mitchell were playing, that could be a dangerous option, because of his ability to transfer pressure with dangerous runs from his own quarter.

Mitchell's wing replacement, Sosene Anesi, doesn't pose as much of a problem, and will be targeted by the Force kickers - five-eighth Willie Ripia and inside-centre James O'Connor.

''If we kick, we need to kick intelligently, so that we put the right guys under pressure. And if we're able to do that, then on the back of our set piece, we hope we can get some reward,'' Graham said.

In his first season in the job, Graham has discovered how exasperating the position is, as his team has often not been rewarded for tenacious play. His side has regularly lost the tight contests.

''Whilst there is a degree of frustration that we're not quite getting over the line at times, you've got to praise the resolve of the players to keep fronting up and believing in what we're doing,'' Graham said.

''We have got better over the season. There was a couple of tough games earlier in the season, such as against the Reds and Blues, and I don't want to talk about the Rebels. These are games we didn't close out. We were in similar situations against the Brumbies and the Bulls, and did close those games out successfully.

''Then against the Crusaders last weekend, we were down 15-3 after about 10 minutes but this time around we showed real composure. We knew what we wanted to do. We got ourselves back into the game. That was encouraging.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/su...#ixzz1LWMVyml7

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Physical Force have revenge on their mind
    Matt Burke
    May 6, 2011
    Click to play video
    Force against Waratahs in crucial derby clash
    Stephen Samuelson and Greg Growden review the dire weekend from the Australian teams and look ahead to a tough derby clash.
    Video feedbackVideo settings
    Hold on to your hats: the stampede from the west is coming. The guys from the Western Force will look to make amends for the 31-3 embarrassment inflicted on them by the Waratahs in Perth.

From the Waratahs' point of view, it was possibly their best performance this season, up there with beating the Reds in round two. The Tahs got everything right from the kick-off. They denied the opposition the ball and played fast and put the Force under pressure.

This time around the Waratahs are struggling with injuries - but you can't let that be an excuse. The Force have had their own injuries in previous weeks but the intent with which they are playing means this team cannot be taken lightly.

With David Pocock and Matt Hodgson back and full of running, the Tahs' task has been made even harder. So, what will be thrown their way on Saturday night? The Force will be physical. They have to be, given their last outing against the Tahs. Coach Richard Graham will expect it. You don't have to be a high-level coach to realise that with the Waratahs pack losing three senior players in Phil Waugh, Wycliff Palu and Tatafu Polota-Nau there will be a strong focus on attacking the areas that might be perceived as lacking, such as the lineout and the scrum.
    The trouble with that idea is that while world-class players might be missing, the guys who step in are still strong contenders for positions in selection meetings each week. Ben Mowen, Pat McCutcheon and Dave Dennis will bring their own style of back-row play to the Tahs. No one is asking them to be a Waugh or a Palu but what this trio has is size, power and speed.
    The scrum will be under fire, no doubt, and they will isolate John Ulugia and, if he is replaced and Ben Roberts makes his debut, the same focus will be on the rookie at scrum and lineout time.

The game and the brashness of players have changed immeasurably since I ran around the park. Gen Y will be in your face no matter how many games you have played. My advice to any new player is to do what got you there. It's a little faster, a little more physical but the same decisions have to be made on the field as when you climbed the rep ladder.

The obvious threat to the Tahs will be James O'Connor. Berrick Barnes will have to give him special attention as he will be opposite him in drift defence. The difficulty arises when there is broken field play. This is when such agile players make their mark. They are able to isolate the slower players and, with the use of the ''jump'' step, have the ability to stop opponents momentarily. Kurtley Beale does it, as does Quade Cooper.
    The simple tactic of getting the ball to the best player can sometimes be harder than we think.

I still believe that O'Connor should be at No.10. The more times he touches the ball, the more he is a threat.

Interestingly, though, the Force play shorter lineouts in defence. Pocock slots into first defender in the back line, and everyone pushes out one. You gain an extra defender without compromising the lineout too much. The twist is that O'Connor plays a sweeping role: not quite in the line but not as far back as a fullback. They do this so that if their opponents execute a poor kick, the chances of their best player bringing it back on a counterattack is quite high.

The Force are confident this week that they will continue to challenge and, after their first round embarrassment, they have the Waratahs to thank for kicking them into gear.

Hey Waratahs, why not make it two?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/su...#ixzz1LWN4jpNB

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/su...#ixzz1LWMyCLnc

Veteran
    vCash
    James et. al.,

I also think that JOC has been at the club for long enough to justify leaving. Inman is in his second season here. Apples/oranges..

Also, James are you heading to the Moon and sixpence for the first game this arvo?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I'm spewing, Sidey's proven himself well and truly up for the challenge of Super rugby and should be given the go ahead of Inman. Uncool.

I've have Brown on the bench before McCalmum
    I reckon Deans was behind that.... esp with the bye coming up as well.. u will see a lot more of the rotation formula coming into team selection as the season roles on... he will still get 60 min mind u

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    ge to me Tahs are in the same cat. as Collingwood!!!!!!!!
    No way, I think the Tahs are actually beatable

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    James et. al.,

I also think that JOC has been at the club for long enough to justify leaving. Inman is in his second season here. Apples/oranges..

Also, James are you heading to the Moon and sixpence for the first game this arvo?
    I won't be in the city I'm afraid. I was just going to lazily walk down to Moondyne Joe's. Are many others going to the Moon?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'd say thats an entirely different kettle of fish. Firstly, James O'Connor is a match winner, Mitch Inman is not. Secondly, James O'Connor is match fit, Inman hasn't played a game since round 3. Thirdly, the difference (IMO) between Inman and Sidey is fairly small while the difference between O'Connor and Fairbanks (his likely replacement) is huge. I just think Inman should start from the bench.

I don't mind the McCalman benched before Brown call. The first 40-50 minutes will probably be a complete arm wrestle and the Tahs will play it all through their forwards. Let Brown, arguably the better tackler, wear himself out bringing down the Tahs forwards and then bring McCalman, arguably the better ball runner, on for the final 30 to get us some great go forward ball.
    Spot on James - couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the old beaconsfield?(now moondyne joes)
    used to know it well,actually played a game of gayfl for their pub team,30 odd years ago
    what a dive it was

vCash
    no Shep evens things up for the Tahs... Will Barnes kick?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    the old beaconsfield?(now moondyne joes)
    used to know it well,actually played a game of gayfl for their pub team,30 odd years ago
    what a dive it was
    That'd be the one. Still is a dive. Plenty of bogans. I quite like it though they have a handful of tvs- all with sound- so you don't rock up and get pissed off because the Gayfl or league or cricket or netball or soccer is on.

Muddie- Paddy D is a pretty good kicker himself. He unleashed a brilliant one against the Brumbies from half way that sent you deep back into the 22.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Gunny loves a dive

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That'd be the one. Still is a dive. Plenty of bogans. I quite like it though they have a handful of tvs- all with sound- so you don't rock up and get pissed off because the Gayfl or league or cricket or netball or soccer is on.

Muddie- Paddy D is a pretty good kicker himself. He unleashed a brilliant one against the Brumbies from half way that sent you deep back into the 22.
    Yep Paddy Dellit... I like him, he looks like a great prospect... But What I meant about Barnes kicking was his tactical kicking, as he often kicks in play but this week they'll be pressed in the set piece by the Force especially the lineout so I'm thinking Barnes will run more with Beale and Turner. I'd also expect a lot of darting runs by Burgess. Really looking forward to this match it should be a cracker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast