Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comparison to last year

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Our next three are Crusaders in Perth, Blues in Auckland then Highlanders in Dunedin aren't they (not Highlanders first)? I like the idea of Crusaders and Blues in back to back weekends early on. Being the form teams so far losing to them at different stages (particularly later on) could de-rail a team particularly if they rack up the kinds of scores they've been getting in South Africa. I'd be happy with 6 points in the next 3games. I love a win over the Crusaders or Blues (I'm sure mitch would too) but I'm pinning my hopes on the Highlanders as the one to win where home crowd advantage is weakened. We shouldn't underestimate their forwards though.

How cool is it that on this NZ tour we play the Blues in Albany (North Harbour) and the Highlanders in Queenstown? Two matches not at the home teams home ground.

It'll be great once their over we have the Stormers and Bulls at home, tired after long tours and probably nursing a fair few injuries. Hopefully build up some momentum for the back end of the season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yah James, I mixed up the order on the NZ road trip. Possibly my excitement that we're likely to finally win one over there. I hope we're not too banged up by the time we hit QTown, and certainly two bonus points would be very welcome!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I was just looking at the Super 14 table a minute ago and realised we have scored the second lowest number of point in the competition at 48. Only the Stormers are lower on 22. Lets hope the boys are just saving up their tries for a rainy day and only spending the required number to just win games.

vCash
    Or saving a few tries for a warm Perth sunday afternoon

vCash

Thumbs up

What's even more bizarre - John Roe is the highest try scorer in Super 14 with Joe Rockooocockcokcoock!

Defensively we look pretty good - but we must start scoring more tries! Bonus points are gold. It's all good though, not bad.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    My concern is that we beat teams that we expected to beat, on form from last year, but only just. The close wins and lack of bonus points kept us out of the final four last year.
    The team needs to learn how to put teams to the sword early and then punish with multiple tries. The Blues are on top as they have bonus points from every game even though they have let more tries in than us.
    In queenstown we will need to punish the highlanders with a fist full of tries - or we can anticipate another season of finishing somewhere in the middle implying a mediocre performance.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep View Post
    My concern is that we beat teams that we expected to beat, on form from last year, but only just. The close wins and lack of bonus points kept us out of the final four last year.
    The team needs to learn how to put teams to the sword early and then punish with multiple tries. The Blues are on top as they have bonus points from every game even though they have let more tries in than us.
    In queenstown we will need to punish the highlanders with a fist full of tries - or we can anticipate another season of finishing somewhere in the middle implying a mediocre performance.
    I understand where you are coming from, and most would have expected us to get a bonus point against either the Lions or Cheetahs. But it is still early in the season, and losing our halfback didn't help things. Stannard has been good but you can't tell me that it didn't have some effect on the preparation before that game against the Cheetahs. Also if you look at those two games it seemed that both the Cheetahs and Lions were concentrating a lot on defence. I think the Lions were more concerned about not allowing 50 points again than actually winning the game. Don't forget that we were also rotating the players each game. I think as the season progresses and the lineup becomes set you will start to see more fluent passages of play that lead to more tries. I think the biggest problem last year was not winning the close games. Two one point loses and a draw. If we can avoid losing the close ones this year, it will go a long way to getting into the finals.

vCash
    I agre4e Gus. I also think the tough road trip and a difficult start to the season in general is going to have everybody questioning our potential mid-season. Not many teams in this comp would get nine points out of a three game trip to the republic if you add a home game to the 'Saders and an away game with the Blues, nine points out of those first five games isn't bad. If we manage a bonus point or even a win this week or next week we'll be well ahead of the pack!

C'mon the

vCash
    Maybe it isn't such a bad thing either and mid season some teams might rest their players aginst the "weaker" Western Force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Tough ones this year might be repeating the wins against ...Reds on the road.
    Not on current form...

vCash
    2007 Force after 4 games were 2W 2L 2BP = 10 points
    2007 Force vs 4 teams we have played this year were 2W 2L 2BP =10 points

2008 Force after 4 games are 2W 2L 3BP = 11 points

So we have jumped ahead of last years pace. A couple more points against the Blues would be real handy.

vCash
    Last year we had scored 83 points and conceded 63 giving +20 differential.
    We looking a bit sad this year with a -9 differential.

Still the 2 from 4 is good for both years with what turned out to be tough opening rounds. (I think this year is a little tougher though!)

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Maybe it isn't such a bad thing either and mid season some teams might rest their players aginst the "weaker" Western Force.
    After the display the other night I don't think any coach in his right mind would consider us "weaker" opposition."

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Hopefully we back up that effort with a good performance against the Blues this weekend

vCash
    2007 Force after 5 games were 2W 2L 1D 2BP = 12 points
    2007 Force vs 5 teams we have played this year were 2W 3L 2BP =10 points

2008 Force after 5 games are 3W 2L 3BP = 15 points

Great win for the boys against the Blues. Hopefully they will be pumped up now and will come out flying against the Highlanders. We could really use the 5 points, and considering we only got 1 point against the Highlanders last year it would really put us on top against last years pace. My prediction though is that the Highlanders will play all out defence and we'll dominate play but win by under 7.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast