Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Australian Barbarians -vs England @ ME Bank Stadium TICKETS

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah I'd wager half the team would be fringe Force. Unless they make the match day squad, I'd expect to see Cowan, Fairbrother, Hockings, Wykes, McCalman, Justin Turner (perhaps off the bench this time) and a couple of others.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I wouldn't bet on that many Force players.
    The New Zealand Barbarians and South African Barbarians are under the control of the NZRU and SARU, so I presume the Australian Barbarians would be as well. Would the eastern states dominated ARU think to include a lot of local players to draw the crowds? Do they need it the draw the crowds?
    I'd reckon on the Australian Barbarians being the de-facto Australia A, but without the need to organise and pay for a full Australia A programme.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Without an Australia A programme there is no Australia A. The Wallabies squad will be around about 30 players. 22 of those will play on the Saturday leaving 8 + 16 from elsewhere. The ARU isn't totally stupid they'll give a fair few of those 16 spots to Force players because they are here and those names I mentioned are seriously knocking on the door of the 30-man squad.

vCash
    Two Australian Barbars teams from earlier this year against Junior squads

AUSTRALIAN BARBARIANS (squad) vs Junior Waratahs
    Steve Brennan (Randwick), Pat Dellit (Eastern Suburbs), Ed Doyle (Warringah), Ed Gower (Gordon), Tom Hikila (West Harbour), Stefano Hunt (Western Force), Anton LaVin (Eastern Suburbs), Kieran Longbottom (Western Force), Tim McGann (Southern Districts), Flip Manu (Western Force), Bernie Orbell (Randwick), Dave Paurini (West Harbour), Scott Podmore (Northern Suburbs), Mark Preston (Gordon), Terry Preston (Gordon), Damien Reti (Manly), Elvis Taione (Manly), Pingi Talaapitaga

Australian Barbarians vs Qld Reds 2nd XV

(from fullback) Thomas Cox (Sunshine Coast), Rex Tapuai (Sunnybank), James Harvey (Brothers), Nathanuel Gendle (Brothers), Nicky Price (Brothers), Michael Zovko (Souths), Sam Batty (Country), Paula Kaho (Souths), Chris Johnson (Souths), Martin Collins (Gold Coast), Tom Murday (Sunnybank), Rubin Fuimaono (Gold Coast), Adrian Dixon (Brothers), Andrew Coady (Brothers), Cole Mooney (Gold Coast). Reserves: Ryan Schultz, (Norths), Sam Cummins (Easts), Brett Nayler (GPS), Geoff Ingram (GPS), Mitch Francis (Gold Coast), Ian Prior (University), Fred Tuua (Souths), Ian Aokuso (Wests)

But Kafe had a different view of what might happen for the selection against England:

Kafer picks an out-of-form Barnes to captain Australian Barbarians
    March 21, 2010

WALLABIES vice-captain Berrick Barnes to skipper the Barbarians. That's the sentiment of Australian rugby great Rod Kafer, who says the playmaker could pay a heavy price for a lacklustre Super 14 season so far.
    ''If you're picking your Wallabies team right now, Quade Cooper is the man you'd start at No. 10 with Matt Giteau at No. 12,'' Kafer said during the week, just days after the ARU announced that it would put together an Australian Barbarians team to take on England in two mid-week Tests in June.
    ''I think Berrick Barnes's form so far this season hasn't been the equivalent of what he displayed last year. I think he has a fair bit of work to do and he could well be an excellent bloke to captain the Baa-Baas.
    ''Based on performance right at the moment, he's a bloke who's either in the Test 22 somewhere or he's captain of the Baa-Baas team. He hasn't been at his best.
    ''Which isn't to say he isn't a great player, but for the first time in a long time Australia actually have some depth in almost every position, and if you're picking a team on form I don't think he's in it at the moment.''
    The Barbarians side is set to feature fringe players from the 30-man Wallabies squad and up to 10 extra Super 14 and club rugby players of interest to coach Robbie Deans.
    Kafer said the side could realistically be comprised of last year's Wallabies regulars, such is the talent on show from the Australian Super 14 teams at the moment - particularly the Queensland Reds.
    He said the Barbarians would be the perfect format for the likes of Phil Waugh, Luke Burgess, Kurtley Beale and Stephen Hoiles to re-launch their Wallabies campaigns, and for Super rugby performers Daniel Halangahu, Laurie Weeks, Kane Douglas and Dave Dennis to show whether they are capable of taking the step up to international rugby.
    Kafer even suggested Deans find a place for Julian Huxley should he continue a successful return for the Brumbies after undergoing brain surgery two years ago.
    ''And if you're looking for up-and-coming players, then Queensland is where it's at,'' Kafer said.
    ''The Faingaa twins, they're two blokes who have performed beyond their expectations this year. Saia - the Queensland line-out has been very strong as a result of him. He's scrummaged well and around the ground he's very good. Right now, he's probably the No. 3 or No. 4 hooker in the competition. And Anthony, in the centres, he's a fantastic defender and his attack has also improved this year. They'd be two blokes putting pressure on the incumbent guys.
    ''And I know Van Humphries is an older bloke but he has come back in some really good form and he might be one of the old heads they need.
    ''Scott Higginbotham - I think he has a lot of potential as a bruising back-rower. He'll be a bloke who'll come into contention.''
    Josh Rakic

Two months later there may be a different view – plus the selectors may be a little less ES-centric than Kafe.
    We will see!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    I assume Kafe expects all the good players at the Force will be playing for the Wallabies!

No Mention of Whits and Charles when talking hooker, No mention of McCalman when talking Flankers

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Two Australian Barbars teams from earlier this year against Junior squads

AUSTRALIAN BARBARIANS (squad) vs Junior Waratahs
    Steve Brennan (Randwick), Pat Dellit (Eastern Suburbs), Ed Doyle (Warringah), Ed Gower (Gordon), Tom Hikila (West Harbour), Stefano Hunt (Western Force), Anton LaVin (Eastern Suburbs), Kieran Longbottom (Western Force), Tim McGann (Southern Districts), Flip Manu (Western Force), Bernie Orbell (Randwick), Dave Paurini (West Harbour), Scott Podmore (Northern Suburbs), Mark Preston (Gordon), Terry Preston (Gordon), Damien Reti (Manly), Elvis Taione (Manly), Pingi Talaapitaga

Australian Barbarians vs Qld Reds 2nd XV

(from fullback) Thomas Cox (Sunshine Coast), Rex Tapuai (Sunnybank), James Harvey (Brothers), Nathanuel Gendle (Brothers), Nicky Price (Brothers), Michael Zovko (Souths), Sam Batty (Country), Paula Kaho (Souths), Chris Johnson (Souths), Martin Collins (Gold Coast), Tom Murday (Sunnybank), Rubin Fuimaono (Gold Coast), Adrian Dixon (Brothers), Andrew Coady (Brothers), Cole Mooney (Gold Coast). Reserves: Ryan Schultz, (Norths), Sam Cummins (Easts), Brett Nayler (GPS), Geoff Ingram (GPS), Mitch Francis (Gold Coast), Ian Prior (University), Fred Tuua (Souths), Ian Aokuso (Wests)
    In both games the Australian Barbarians were made up of a majority of local players. Sure 2nd string England is a different proposition but still you'd have to have at least 8 Force players in the game.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Those Baabaas teams are essentially a club select side, excluding anyone in the Reds, 'Tahs or Nags second teams. This one will be a bit different, with all those players in the mix. I could see a larger number of Force players used to keep down travel costs, and would similarly expect a greater number of NSW/East coast based players for the second match in Sydney. The main thing I would like to see is the traditions of the Baabaas maintained, including selection of an uncapped youngster (preferably local) and perhaps a retired international

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Steven Pocock? That'd be awesome.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    ... and perhaps a retired international
    George Smith?

And maybe the Great Rugby Brain deserves a swansong too...maybe he could be the Backs Coach/Mentor...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    In both games the Australian Barbarians were made up of a majority of local players.
    I wonder how often it is that the same team has played in two different states on the same day (Feb 6)?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    We shouldn't confuse any of these "Barbarians" sides with the real Baabaas though, which is actually the Barbarians FC. Australia played the Barbarians in June last year - the same won't be said of England this year. It is merely an expression of how they are selecting the team.

vCash
    Don't the Barbarians have some traditions though - more emphasis on retired retiring rugby players with a couple of unknowns in there as opposed to an Australian A side.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    The Barbarians do indeed have traditions of picking attacking players and always one uncapped player. The Australian Barbarians won't have to follow these tradions, though. The NZ Barbarians and SA Barbarians are effectively second-string teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Don't the Barbarians have some traditions though - more emphasis on retired retiring rugby players with a couple of unknowns in there as opposed to an Australian A side.
    Yes - a range of great ones.

My fave (until recent times) was to play running rugby (read: no &^$%*** drop goals, kick for touch) meaning the game was about scoring TRIES. Ahhh, the good old days! Geez I am getting old!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Also play in their own origin Club socks from memory?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast