Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force pulls out all stops to keep James O'Connor

Rookie
    vCash
    Both Holmes and Phibbs come off contract this year, the Brumbies are chasing Valentine hard for 2010,and may well get him as he'll be playing inside Gits. I see Holmes and Valentine sharing the 9 at the Brumbies [niether will be happy with that though and may be the Forces salvation in the end], Sheehan at the Force with Crisso[ if he doesn't ask for an early release due to the pathetic amount of game time he got this season] and Burgess and Phibbs at the Waratahs ,the Reds will have their current 9's.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I read a good article today about how the salary cap secretly went out the window when there was rumours Andrew Johns would be the next League convert a while ago.

It did point out one good thing, Elsom and Cross are two of the better League converts and then went on to bag Sailor, Rogers and Tiquiri.

vCash
    they were saying on the rugby club tonight that the brumbies were looking to sign him as a full back, for next year....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    lock valo in until RWC. BUILD a team, not just a side for a year dammit!
    Agree! That's it. Stating the obvious but: Building a team, whilst requiring patience and perserverance, is a better way to go IMHO; Trying to contrive a team with out of contract journeymen is really only a quick fix /short term option. (This is not to be confused with having a marque player or two- which has some real advantages)

When you build a team that stays together for a long time (through the proverbial good times and bad) a certain spirit and culture develops- hopefully a winning/ success filled one, but it's something you don't really get with peicemeal signings.

Whilst not every signing can be a long term one (for many reasons), and players who don't perform or make the grade have to move on, the best possible outcome is for a settled line up.

Anyhow, I'm sure the commitee is on top of all these concepts and is trying its collective darnest to shore up a top quality line up for ever...

Of course there are those who you'd love to stay on but don't... but thats another story

Last edited by normie; 01-05-09 at 01:20. Reason: never used to be such an idealist. used to be an anarchist...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Wow - big call, writing off Barnes within 12 months.

My 2 cents - Shepherd is a no.15 - superb if he can stay injury free. Best in Oz frankly.

If JOC stays at the Force then No.12 is his best option. In reality however, he wouldn't unseat Barnes who is getting better and better (view the Reds v. Blues tape if you have any doubt - even though he played most of the game at no.10).

BUT..... JOC would/should get plenty of bench action until RWC 2011 if he maintains form (remembering that he is still a baby and consistent form is yet to be proved). By that time, Gits will probably head off overseas, Berrick will play 10 and JOC at 12.

Problem solved. Ding. Next....
    O'Conner will be better than Barnes by the end of next year and better than Gitto in a few more years

vCash
    Can I borrow your crystal ball?

It would be useful before I hit the TAB tomorrow morning.

vCash
    What about going all out and getting Barnes at number 10 for the Force..JOC playing first centre to learn the 10 job..

vCash
    apparently the Force tried to sign barnes but he wasnt interested

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    apparently the Force tried to sign barnes but he wasnt interested
    Barnes is a True QLDer I just can't see him playing for any other Australian province.... Should be a good match tonight great see him back in good form but Night as a Brumbies supporter I'm a don't mind if he has an off night...

vCash
    i dont see barnes leaving qld either. he seems to want to be part of their new style of play, and of course be a part of the furure at the reds.

give it a couple of years and the reds are going to be on fire (pardon the pun)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Barnes is a True QLDer I just can't see him playing for any other Australian province.......
    Mud, if someone had posed the same question about Giteau years ago you would have spouted that type of stuff as well. They are pros and money has as much as or maybe more influence than rugby development, the team and individual prospects etc,. Unless the player in question does not need to consider the money. Loyalty has a place too, but don't kid yourself.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    barnes would be in a posisiton to demmand top money from the reds though.
    i dont think he would need to worry about not being paid enough.

or being paid as much as others. hehehe

vCash
    Barnes would have a better platform to show his wares at the Force, so the arguments cancel themselves out....It'd probably come down to loyalty and his own feelings about moving/staying, I'd reckon he'd stay to build a team around him.

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    As predicted ,Valentine has signed with the Brumbies, might mean he now has an ARU contract? Which, if so, may throw a spanner in the works for Sheehan who may now look overseas.
    Looks as though Europe and Japan may have a few more ex Brumbies in their ranks next year as well eh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by qld supporter View Post
    As predicted ,Valentine has signed with the Brumbies, might mean he now has an ARU contract? Which, if so, may throw a spanner in the works for Sheehan who may now look overseas.
    Looks as though Europe and Japan may have a few more ex Brumbies in their ranks next year as well eh?
    Yepp.... With Valentine moving on JOC 's decision will be easy...

Last edited by mudskipper; 03-05-09 at 19:29.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast