Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Foreign stars could play for Force next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    we don't need more massive props! what's wrong with pek, taipan etc?
    Tai is 32 and won't have too much more in him. Pek is on the other end of the scale and in a couple of years will be a top scrummager (as I believe Michael Foley said).

However, in the mean time we could add an experienced, mongrel NH prop to

a) Steady our own scrum
    b) Teach the others about cauliflower ears, sinking pints and eating all the pies. And scrummaging.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    i'd have thought the Force would want local WA's and local Aussie's before importing from overseas.
    I reckon what they want to do is get a hold of some older ex-international props like Os Durant and those types. Still good enough to play a good game of Super 14 rugby and get our scrum sorted in the time it takes to write a paychek, but also not encumbred by International duties so they have to hang around the clubs and the academy teaching local boys how to be a world class fat bastard!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    ..like the beast
    The Beast is Zimbabwean- a fact which is conveniently forgotten when trying to meet race quotas. What is the point of trying to make South African black rugby 'heroes' if they go ahead and use him and Mujati?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Interesting article in today's West. Short summary is:

Force interested in recruiting Bismark du Pleiss
    Other South Africans making enquiries over the past few years
    Boks U/20's captain a target
    Possible name changes for Super 14 teams to cities instead of provinces e.g. Perth Force

Buy a copy of The West and keep Dave Hughes employed, he's getting good info and writing decent articles.

vCash
    I don't want no dirty South Africans playing for the Force, I would even accept a Pom player over a Saffa and I hate Pom rugby players.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I don't want no dirty South Africans playing for the Force, I would even accept a Pom player over a Saffa and I hate Pom rugby players.
    As long as we win. Who cares.

Would be interesting to see how SA and NZ respond to this. IE SA has recently lifted the ban on picking foreign based players for the Springboks. It's one thing when their players are going to Europe because they don't play against the SA Super 14 teams. But I wonder how they would handle if a bunch of their players came over here and helped Australian teams beat South African teams in the Super 14. You might see the rule change back in a hurry.

vCash
    Its the principle...an Australian team should have Australian players, sure some of the players have a different heritage or counrty of birth but they are Australian citizens.

I dont think I'd like to be cheering on Bismark du Pleiss in Force coloursm as much as I would like to cheer on a local kid...Didn't like Du Pleiss as a Springbok and just because he might be playing for the Force doesn't mean to say I will like him anymore.

As for the name change to the Perth Force, I dont reckon it effects our club as much, being we have a relatively short history and haven't quite made our mark on history yet (IMHO), but Perth Force doesn't sound like it has the whole state behind it, it makes the Force sound like they have a smaller following.

I think importing players is bad for Rugby in Australia, sure it increases the talent pool in the teams but at what expense, the future of Australian rugby?

Last edited by laura; 08-08-08 at 10:18. Reason: bit more to say

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    The money should be going into development, not imports. Give a team a new front row and they may win the odd tighthead on a given day. Teach them how to scrummage and they'll win forever...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I dont think I'd like to be cheering on Bismark du Pleiss in Force colours...
    If imports do happen, I'll be cheering them on as I would any other player. I would however prefer to be cheering on locals. Once they start letting foreign players in, it's easy to keep shifting the lines and the next thing you know we'll have more imports than locals ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Nice generalisation there BLR. I'll resist the urge to smite you for it.

I've been anti having foreign players too but I'm starting to see some positives to it such as better education of our young players. Main concern for me is opportunities for WA players but if player development outweighs the restriction of roster places, that's OK.
    Marquee players may boost attendances too. Time will tell.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Nice generalisation there BLR. I'll resist the urge to smite you for it.
    Some artists use paint, I used sweeping generalisations.

vCash
    Looking at the local comp.Most of the players in the leading clubs are all imports at the moment.How do you think wanneroo got to where they are at the moment, and a lot of the coaches are imports aswell.. It has lifted the standard in rugby in WA, so having more experienced players mixing with the locals can only improve the standard here..
    Now, if we can only get some decent Refs..!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by almac View Post
    Now, if we can only get some decent Refs..!!!
    Even the Tri Nations teams don't get that luxury so I don't like WA's chances.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Dont think we (the force) need any more help in the backline or the back end of the scrum, the front is questionable but and even the likes of a Keven Meilamumu would be good to teach our youngesters a thing of two (luke holmes and co.) would learn S*** loads from an international of the standards of KM.

(on a laughing matter) Henjak would of played 1 year overseas by 2010, is he classed as a "foreign star" then ?

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post

I think importing players is bad for Rugby in Australia, sure it increases the talent pool in the teams but at what expense, the future of Australian rugby?

Many years ago the major hockey league in North America was pretty much all Canadians with a few Americans mixed in. Then in the late 70's and early 80's the Euro's started to pour in. Now the league has only like 50% Canadians. Yet, Canada is still one of the best teams in the world.

It's not a perfect comparison because obviously ice hockey teams have more players and there aren't as many positions. IE there is really only 8 spots for hookers on Australian Super 14 teams, but there would be like 150 centres in the NHL. But I don't think that opening up the Super 14 teams for international players is going to drastically hurt Australian Rugby.

One example that people may use is English Soccer. The English team is crap now, and it could be a direct result of all of the EPL teams being filled with international players. But the Super 14 teams don't have the money to be able to fill their rosters with top level international players. We are already losing a lot of our own players due to money issues.

I think what this will do is help out in positions where Australia is short on talent. And it would be of great benefit to a team like the Force. We have already lost Ioane (no great loss) cause he wanted to go home. Had to fight like hell to keep Pocock, there was talk of J'OC going home, and since Giteau had lunch with that Brumbies guy we know he has already signed with the Brumbies for 2010 . Basically we are always going to be losing players who want to go home. The bigger the talent pool we have to pick from can only help us overcome this disadvantage to the eastern teams.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast