Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Berrick Barnes vital part of future: John O'Neill

vCash
    swap them around? they can both play 10 can't they?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Barnes doesnt play 10 at the Reds though, he was but then Mooney shifted him to 12 and Cooper at 10.

I suppose he can still play there but you would probably prefer to have some game time up in the position at least.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder whether Deans might request Barnes play at 10 - if he wants two playmakers, they both need to play the position that gives them best practice.

vCash
    he can request, but he cant force them to..

its happened in the past when national coaches have asked for certain players to be played in different positions, usually falls on deaf ears though

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed. I suspect you are right and it will depend on how Mooney views Cooper's future - he would probably have some fun at 12 and develop one set of skills (just as Giteau and Barnes have), but 10 would develop his decision making.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    for a player in only his second test and at 20yrs old he did pretty good, apart from 2 kicks charged down ...
    And he did it again...

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    It will be interesting to see if Deans influences the OZ S14 coaches and their player field positioning....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Deans to take hands-off approach to Super men

Greg Growden | December 5, 2008

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has stressed that he will not tell the four Australian Super 14 provinces how they should play next season, instead hoping that they will play as many different styles as possible.
    Deans, the most successful Super 14 coach, said before the Wallabies team left for Sydney that he was eager to help the Australian provinces next season, especially as he will be watching the tournament from a different perspective. "I will help the franchises where I can, and where I feel I can," Deans said.

"Obviously the [Australian] players will take some ideas back to their provinces. That's up to them. But there's no way I'll be sticking my nose in where it's not requested. We want the franchises to innovate. We want them to run their own campaigns, and take ownership of their own campaigns."

Deans will now go on an extensive holiday in New Zealand. When he returns to Sydney he will decide on his Wallabies management team for next year. Even though Wallabies forwards coach Michael Foley, who has a strong relationship with the members of the Test pack, is heading to the Waratahs, Deans has opened the door for him to retain some minor role with the Test team.

"We'll make those decisions after Christmas," Deans said. "But Michael is still involved in Australian rugby, and he will be working with a lot of the players. In terms of the immediate management group, we'll resolve that in time. But even if Michael wasn't part of that, he will still be involved. We'll still seek his counsel, and he'll still get the opportunity to come along. You never discard anyone's knowledge. No one has all the answers."

Deans said that at the end of his first season with the Wallabies, he was delighted with the team's progress, particularly that they were starting to believe in themselves. "The whole experience has been great. They've all chipped in on and off the field, and the dynamic of the group has been good," Deans said.

"Obviously against Wales we didn't finish the Test the way we would like, but the indicators are there … This group will go into the break with a real sense of purpose for next year."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...257231023.html

Interest gone?

vCash
    I can see the value in that. I have no problem at all with the Force being the Lock/Backrow factory, The Reds producing all our Hookers, But the Waratahs producing all our props? Look at what they've served up in the past (Says he realising the Force don't currently have a legitimate challenger)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Wayne Smith....you're a biscuit!

He is a nice bloke.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "Obviously the [Australian] players will take some ideas back to their provinces. That's up to them. But there's no way I'll be sticking my nose in where it's not requested. We want the franchises to innovate. We want them to run their own campaigns, and take ownership of their own campaigns."

So, if we were to request a hand with our forwards from the Wallabies coaches...?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Deans has that Reds look
    Sun, 07 Dec 2008

The Reds....have wasted no time in enlisting the services of ground-breaking Wallaby coach Robbie Deans for the forthcoming Super 14 series.

Speaking to the Brisbane-based Sunday Mail, Reds coach Phil Mooney confirmed he will rope in Australian mentor Deans...

The former New Zealand fullback and his entire Wallabies coaching staff will be available to the Reds, Waratahs, Western Force and Brumbies as guest consultants to help end Australia's Super 14 trophy drought.

Mooney said Deans' expertise was a valuable resource the Reds would be sure to tap...

"He doesn't want to come in and take sessions. It will be more him observing what we are doing with our processes and maybe coming at them from a different angle.

"He's made all the provinces aware that he and his staff are available and we'd be silly not to use him."

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/...ws/1363880.htm

vCash
    you would be silly not to ask for help from the super14's most succesful coach, this would have never happened if eddie jones was in charge of the reds still

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2