Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plans for a Dedicated Rectangular Stadium are Dead

vCash
    i know ive posted in this before, but the more i think about it the more irritated i get over this. As a part of the bid for the 4th franchise wasn't it promised that within 3 or 4 years we would be playing out of a RECTANGULAR stadium?? You can go anywhere else in the country and you will find a rectangular stadium, obviously NSW and QLD have plentty due to rugby/league being the dominant sports in those states,BUT you will also find 1st class oval grounds in NSW and QLD. Even Melbourne is about to/currently constructing a 30,000 seat RECTANGULAR ground to suit the Melbourne Victory and the Melbourne Storm. Ok Subiaco Oval is getting a bit a run down even for AFL BUT the ground was upgraded LESS than a decade ago by the WAFC who didnt have the foresight to see what they needed in future and instead upgraded for what they needed at the time. In the end they went cap in hand to the government becasue their costs were blowing out over budget, the government allocated PUBLIC money and the WAFC then dares to dictate to other sports when and how to use the ground. They also dare to make money of other sports (Rugby/Soccer) when they only pay $1 a year in rent due to a deal with the government (or was it the local council??).

This is nothing but the government bowing down to the pro AFL public, the WAFC and the AFL by taking the $25 million we were promised for a rectangular stadium and putting it to a multi purpose stadium, which may sound better then an oval, but if the WAFC gets their grubby little hands into the management they will continue to shaft us over the the configuration of the ground due to issues with the turf when the ground is moved from rugby to AFL configuration.

I have news for you Carpenter and your happy little mob of pro footy cronies, there are other sports on this planet, sports that are played in alot more countries, sports that your petty combination of basketball and cross country running could never hope to match in playing numbers and popularity world wide. Big woop i hear you say, it is a well known fact that junior AFL player numbers have been dropping for numerous years while your sport has been under siege by rugby and soccer while junior player numbers in both those sports are on the up. You didnt do it last time when you revamped subiaco oval, but how about you have the brains to plan for the future. I'm sure that in that mammoth budget surplus you could probably spare the money for both options (that was why i was a fan of james packers idea, costly yes, but good for everyone yes), but all of a sudden just as the stadium report came out the last month (or so) jim mcginty came out with plans for a new hospital?? I hadnt heard of his plan for a hospital at all, probably just trying to get some votes by putting it out there and saing whats beeter a stadium or a hospital?? We are in the middle of a once in a generation boom and i'm sure (and so do some journos in "the west australian" agree) that we could probably afford all three options (rectangular stadium, NEW oval stadium and a hospital) and have plenty left in the bank.

In my opinion we have been sold down the river, if we get a 60,000 multi purose stadium we will be doomed to have a dodgy atmosphere (which is one of the big attractions to actually going to the game in my opinion) we may not even get to have the ground in rectangular configuration all the time. My friends on this website, and fans of sports that are not AFL (although i dont mind a bit myself) we have been shafted. We should start our own political party

p.s i dont know how relevant any of this but i need to rant and now im gonna have a beer

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    perfect Shasta....now post that to your local member....

vCash
    hahah "cut and paste"...though i may leave out the beer bit

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    NEVER!!!!! the government can hear about my drinking habits before i get voted in LMAO!!!

vCash
    by the time this thing gets built super 14 could be over if the saffers go.

vCash
    if the saffers go the competiton will survive in some form, saffers are useless anyway (disregard this year when they actually did something in the comp)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Btw Frontrow...love the avatar
    Until this point, I thought you were a balanced, intelligent person who would look after all our futures in whatever career you chose......however, suddenly I'm concerned about your grasp on reality!!!!

Saying that, good luck in Canberra.......and give them what for!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    Until this point, I thought you were a balanced, intelligent person who would look after all our futures in whatever career you chose......however, suddenly I'm concerned about your grasp on reality!!!!
    What are you talking about Jedi? Dolly is my bible...along with Woman's Day and SMH....and Gerard is my hero. What can I say? I'm just a young, ignorant and inexperienced girl who apparently has difficulty grasping simple concepts

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Ah, ok.....thanks for clearing all that up.

Good luck in Canberra! There's a good Irish pub on the main shopping precinct just up the road from the Crowne Plaza!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Ah, ok.....thanks for clearing all that up.

Good luck in Canberra! There's a good Irish pub on the main shopping precinct just up the road from the Crowne Plaza!!!!!
    Mmm i know...i used to live there...well i was orginally talking about canberra but i guess the same applies to the pub I can't believe i've never been to JB's....i feel it is now blasphemous!

vCash
    There's only one way to redeem yourself........

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    How/why can the State Government retract their 'offer' of funding for a rectangular stadium.....wasn't it a contractual obligation?
    It was if the Force accepted a 22,000 seat stadium. They rejected it, so they are within their rights to take the funding back.

I will not spark controversy with my feelings on this, but I see why you guys are upset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    It was if the Force accepted a 22,000 seat stadium. They rejected it, so they are within their rights to take the funding back.

I will not spark controversy with my feelings on this, but I see why you guys are upset.
    I, for one, would prefer a 22k (of 25k) seater stadium that's full every week (that'd cater for perpetual members plus corporates plus a few walk-ins/visiting fans) and creates a cauldron-like atmosphere than a nearly-full 35k or half-full 60k stadium.

The 'football' stadium can then be used for Bledisloe / Wallabies tests and the rectangular stadium can have a planned increase to 35k or 40k in 10 years time.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Date-Opposition-Crowd

10/02/2006 Brumbies 37,037
    24/02/2006 Chiefs 29,239
    17/03/2006 Waratahs 26,140
    25/03/2006 Bulls 23,392
    31/03/2006 Stormers 24,507
    21/04/2006 Crusaders 30,230
    2/02/2007 Highlanders 30,704
    24/02/2007 Lions 25,523
    9/03/2007 Hurricanes 27,648
    16/03/2007 Reds 26,032
    30/03/2007 Sharks 28,400
    27/04/2007 Cheetahs 24,313
    4/05/2007 Blues 30,083

2006 Average 28,424
    2007 Average 27,529
    Lifetime 27,942

Force v Nationality
    Aus 29,736
    NZ 29,581
    SA 25,227

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan

you cant really blame the force for knocking back the 22,000 seat stadium back as they would lose money due to 5,000 seats less being available.I wouldnt mind being in a 22,000 seat stadium being a member myself. I seem to remember that the government said some time ago that if crowd figures were good they'd upgrade members equity to 28,000 seats.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast