Thread: Brumbies Squad Named to Play the Force

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Brumbies Squad Named to Play the Force

The University of Canberra Brumbies have named their team to take on the Western Force in the Week 1 clash at Canberra Stadium this Friday night.

Head Coach Jake White has named six debutants, two of which have been selected in the starting line-up. Jesse Mogg will feature on the wing, while Leon Power has been called into the team at lock.

On the bench Ruaidhri Murphy, Scott Fardy, Zack Holmes and Joe Tomane have also been given the nod for the season opener.

Mogg and Power have both enjoyed successful pre-seasons at the University of Canberra Brumbies having come from different places to join the squad late last year. Mogg has been a part of the Brumbies Academy for the last two years and was also impressive during the 2011 John I Dent Cup with Wests.

Power has arrived from over the Tasman, working his way through the ITM Cup with the Bay of Plenty Steamers to a fulltime Super Rugby contract.

An aged grade All Black, Power has visited his past to claim a spot with the University of Canberra Brumbies having been born in Australia only to move across the ditch at the age of six.

For Mogg, the chance to face the Force on Friday night was the culmination of two years’ hard work.

“I’ve been in Canberra for a while now and the goal has always been to play for the Brumbies, so it’s encouraging to see that my hard work has been recognised,” Mogg said.

“Jake has told me to play my natural game, not to do anything special, just to do what I normally do.

“I see myself as a good attacking player, there are areas of my game that I will continually be working on but I’m confident of having an impact at Super Rugby level.”

Like Mogg, Power will be looking to impose himself on the game early to settle his nerves.

At 2m tall, Power will be a valuable asset in the University of Canberra Brumbies line-out, which is likely to compete against some of the best jumpers in Australian rugby like Nathan Sharpe and Sam Wykes.

“The line-out is somewhere I can see myself having an impact and something I’d like to be known for as my career progresses,” Power said.

“In New Zealand we play a very physical game in the forwards – I enjoy the heavy contact and I expect there will be plenty of that at this level of rugby.

“The Force has a quality team and will be difficult at the line-out, but we have trained well this week and I’m confident things will run smoothly.”

From the back three, White has selected Henry Speight on the opposite wing to Mogg and Robbie Coleman at fullback. The rest of the backline includes Nic White at scrumhalf, Matt Toomua at flyhalf, Christian Lealiifano at inside centre and Andrew Smith at outside centre.

The front row is all class, with Ben Alexander (loose-head), Stephen Moore (hooker) and Dan Palmer (tight-head) leading the charge up front.

Power is joined by Sam Carter in the second row, with Ita Vaea (open-side flanker), Peter Kimlin (blind-side flanker) and Ben Mowen (No. 8) the loose-forwards.

Anthony Hegarty, Michael Hooper and Ian Prior join debutants Murphy, Fardy, Holmes and Tomane on the bench.

University of Canberra Brumbies

1. Ben Alexander
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Dan Palmer
    4. Leon Power
    5. Sam Carter
    6. Peter Kimlin
    7. Ita Vaea
    8. Ben Mowen (c)

9. Nic White
    10. Matt Toomua
    11. Jesse Mogg
    12. Christian Lealiifano
    13. Andrew Smith
    14. Henry Speight
    15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements
    16. Anthony Hegarty
    17. Ruaidhri Murphy
    18. Scott Fardy
    19. Michael Hooper
    20. Ian Prior
    21. Zack Holmes
    22. Joe Tomane

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    University of Canberra Brumbies

1. Ben Alexander
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Dan Palmer
    4. Leon Power
    5. Sam Carter
    6. Peter Kimlin
    7. Ita Vaea
    8. Ben Mowen (c)

9. Nic White
    10. Matt Toomua
    11. Jesse Mogg
    12. Christian Lealiifano
    13. Andrew Smith
    14. Henry Speight
    15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements
    16. Anthony Hegarty
    17. Ruaidhri Murphy
    18. Scott Fardy
    19. Michael Hooper
    20. Ian Prior
    21. Zack Holmes
    22. Joe Tomane
    We have to target that second row and hopefully our backrow will be too mobile for them.

So when is our team announced? I am not 100% on who is injured but assuming no injuries I would like to see this:

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Salesi Maafu
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock (C)
    8. Ben McCalman

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. James Stannard
    11. Napolini Nalaga
    12. Winston Stanley (or Sidey?)
    13. Pat Dellit
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Cameron Shepherd

Replacements
    16. Keiran Longbottom
    17. Ben Whittaker
    18. Toby Lynn
    19. Richard Brown
    20. Justin Turner
    21. Rory Sidey
    22. Alfi Mafi

Or maybe play Cummins at 13 and Mafi on the wing, given it sounds like he is in good form.

vCash
    Brown Dog is definitely out for the first week according to a tweet this morning.
    Squad announcement this morning apparently

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    After looking at both teams, I think we've got the advantage in the second row and the backrow. We're pretty lucky that they haven't named a 7 Bam should e unstoppable, but we'll need to watch their three number 8s. Strong, straight running will be the order of the day I guess.

Watch out for the 10-12 channel, they have some talent there and we need to brush up.

On balance, I think I'd be disappointed if we lost it, but still cautious based upon trial form.

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Robbie Coleman will be tested if Naps makes a break.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    After looking at both teams, I think we've got the advantage in the second row and the backrow. We're pretty lucky that they haven't named a 7 Bam should e unstoppable, but we'll need to watch their three number 8s. Strong, straight running will be the order of the day I guess.

Watch out for the 10-12 channel, they have some talent there and we need to brush up.

On balance, I think I'd be disappointed if we lost it, but still cautious based upon trial form.
    what can I say... they'll do better against the Reds.. 9 Wallabies weren't enough against the Brumbies rookies... early days... Stannard was solid with his kicking... he'll only get better... I was pleased to see Turner get a run at scrum half...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    get back under that bridge, Muddie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    what can I say... they'll do better against the Reds.. 9 Wallabies weren't enough against the Brumbies rookies... early days... Stannard was solid with his kicking... he'll only get better... I was pleased to see Turner get a run at scrum half...
    Still disappointed mud, but you can't win rugby games without line breaks.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    get back under that bridge, Muddie
    we'll be under that sme bridge staying at The Mercantile on Friday night, join us for a game and beer Muddie?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!