Thread: Why Barnes has Robbie in a jam

vCash

Why Barnes has Robbie in a jam

By Brendan Cannon From: The Sunday Telegraph April 18, 2010

SIX weeks ago, I wrote a column selecting a Wallabies side with one high-profile casualty, vice-captain Berrick Barnes.

I said I would pick Barnes on the bench. Surprisingly, there was little resistance from the usual spin doctors looking to protect a star player.

If I was asked to pick a Wallabies squad tomorrow, I would struggle to find room for the Waratahs inside centre anywhere.

Coach Robbie Deans created a tsunami before last year's tour when Barnes was elevated to vice-captain ahead of $1.5 million man Matt Giteau.

With new faces filtering into the international ranks, the Wallabies needed a backline leader and Deans decided Barnes was the best fit.

So how will it be when Barnes has to play second fiddle to Will Genia and Quade Cooper - his former Queensland team-mates - and Giteau is picked at inside centre?

Barnes' demotion is a direct result of inconsistent form from the Waratahs. The Tahs have improved markedly in recent weeks, but some players, such as Barnes, have suffered while Genia has emerged as a genuine leader at the Reds.

Cooper's form is impossible to ignore at five-eighth and with Giteau at No 12, it gives the Wallabies two legitimate playmakers.

As they have in previous years under Deans, these two positions will alternate, so effectively Australia will field two five-eighths.

So does Deans do a backflip and make Giteau vice-captain?

Deans has consistently said he will reward players who are in form irrespective of the consequences.

The coach is building a nucleus of young, emerging players to contest the World Cup next year.

The leadership issue, or who will be Australia's vice-captain, has reached a critical point.

If form is the criteria, it will be interesting to see what Deans and co go with.

With the first Test slated for June 5 against Fiji, these are the players I would be selecting.

HALVES

Will Genia: He and Quade Cooper have developed into the best halves combination in Super 14 and have been the catalyst for the rise of the Reds this season.

Quade Cooper: He has shown a greater level of maturity and consistency this year. Still has a court case pending, but he has managed his off-field circumstances exceptionally well.

BOLTERS

Rod Davies: A winger who has benefited from the Reds' resurgence this year. One of the fastest players in Australian rugby with the potential to become an international mainstay.

Laurie Weeks: A standout tight-head prop for the Reds and my international smoky. He is a great acquisition for the new Melbourne Rebels franchise.

LOOSE FORWARDS

Phil Waugh: His fierce determination and resolve has seen him reach career best form. His recent outing against the Crusaders was superb and his experience would be invaluable.

Scott Higginbotham: A mean, menacing, mobile backrower who has brought a greater level of consistency to his performances.

Rocky Elsom: Picks himself as the incumbent captain. Will play number eight with Wycliff Palu out injured.

REST OF PACK

Benn Robinson: The form loosehead prop in Super 14. He has a high workrate and is very efficient.

Stephen Moore: Gets the nod in the starting side at hooker because he's probably better equipped to absorb the opening exchanges than Tatafu Polata-Nau. Very accurate set-piece execution.

Dean Mumm: Highly effective backrower who can also handle the tight five.

Nathan Sharpe: Sensational season for the Western Force in a seriously challenged team.

BACKLINE

Matt Giteau: More suited to inside centre than five-eighth. He hasn't played to his usual high standards since moving to the Brumbies this season, but his sheer class warrants selection.

Digby Ioane: A damaging ball-carrier who has been in tremendous form with Queensland. Needs to be close to the action and outside centre is his best position.

Drew Mitchell: The more involved he becomes in a game the more he can change it with his individual brilliance. Has pace to burn.

Adam Ashley-Cooper: Mr Consistency. Very rarely has an average game. Will continue to be a great performer for the Wallabies.

THE BENCH

Tatafu Polata-Nau, Ben Alexander, David Pocock, Jake Schultz, Patrick Phibbs, James O'Connor, Berrick Barnes.

They have been chosen because of the impact they can have.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225854939797

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Matt Giteau: More suited to inside centre than five-eighth. He hasn't played to his usual high standards since moving to the Brumbies this season, but his sheer class warrants selection.
    Nice way to select a team...

Would you really put pocock on the bench!?! I think i would rather hodgo than waugh

I know we havent seen much of sheps yet, but if gits gets in that way, so should sheperd.

This from Cannon as well... interesting

vCash
    I disagree with Pocock at substitute..definitely should be in starting XV. More consistent on form and ability at the moment. Pocock has enough experience by now to nullify Waugh's.

A Genia-Cooper-Giteau combination is highly attractive in my books. Unpredicatbility of Cooper will ease Giteau's (perceived) burden of responsibility and should give him both opportunity and space to flourish.

Still not sure about Digby at 13..infact not comfortable at all. Personally, think he should stick to the wing or come off the bench as an impact player.

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 20-04-10 at 11:15.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Just to clarify.

Canno's Wallabies:

1. Benn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Laurie Weeks
    4. Dean Mumm
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Scott Higginbotham
    7. Phil Waugh
    8. Rocky Elsom

9. Will Genia
    10. Quade Cooper
    11. Rod Davies
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Digby Ioane
    14. Drew Mitchell
    15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Tatafu Polata-Nau,
    17. Ben Alexander,
    18. David Pocock,
    19. Jake Schultz,
    20. Patrick Phibbs,
    21. James O'Connor,
    22. Berrick Barnes.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    9. Genia
    10. Cooper
    11. Ioane
    12. Giteau
    13. AAC
    14. Mitchell
    15. Hynes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Cannon
    I said I would pick Barnes on the bench. Surprisingly, there was little resistance from the usual spin doctors looking to protect a star player.
    An interesting line. I wonder if he's referring to "spin doctors" from Rugby circles or their mouthpieces in the ES media?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    As the match will be against Fiji, whoever gets selected I wouldn't think should feel too comfortable, as it will be a match for Robbie to try a few things rather than bed in a season combination.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Theres enuff experience in the 15 to warrant Pocock to start. We all know about his defensive prowess but I think in the games he's played this year he has shown he has improved as a handy and damaging runner with ball in hand. We got Sharpie, elsolm, giteau and now young genia as a leadership group. Waugh gives the wallabies nothing that bam bam and hodgo can do twice as good.

As for Barnes, if the rules from the super 14 apply to the internationals then having barnes in the wallabies backline is a waste ......

vCash
    Ill be very surprised if Barnes gets a nod at all.
    Even Giteau shouldnt be too comfortable.