Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Now bring it home, says Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Now bring it home, says Mitchell

Western Force coach John Mitchell has challenged his players to carry the intensity with which they finished the weekend match against the Crusaders into the start of next Saturday’s home game against the Sharks.

Mitchell noted the Force had a tendency to go flat when returning from foreign tours and wants his players to set a high tempo from the start at Subiaco Oval in round six.

Last year the Force won two of three matches in South Africa, yet fell apart in the second half of their first home game of the competition to lose to the Crusaders. They subsequently won two matches in New Zealand, only to slump to a 16-point loss to the Stormers when they returned home.

It continued a trend from the previous year when the team won two matches in South Africa but played poorly to fall to the Lions, 25-24, in their first game back in Perth.

“People don’t realise how tough these road trips are,” Mitchell said yesterday. “They take it out of you. The challenge is to get back home and play well. In the past we’ve tended to lack intensity in our first game back home.

“I’m proud of the fantastic way the guys fought back after a slow start last Saturday and we can’t afford to drop our standards against the Sharks.”

The Force play four of their next five matches at home and the ability to capitalise on their home ground advantage will determine whether they can rise into the four from eighth place and a 50 per cent record.

The Force have a dismal record at Subiaco Oval. Of their 21 matches at the AFL ground since they entered Super 14 in 2006, they have won eight and drawn one. Scrub the find-the-feet first season and the Force’s home record improves to mediocre only — eight wins and seven losses.

The Force will learn tomorrow which of those who returned with injuries will be able to play on Saturday. Winger and leading try scorer Cameron Shepherd will have a scan on his injured ankle today but the medical staff will wait 48 hours for swelling to subside before making a decision.

Shepherd said yesterday the ankle he broke in a Test match last July was sprained when a number of players fell across it after he had been tackled.

“It got caught in the one position I didn’t want it to be and I hyperextended it,” he said. “Because there’s lots of scar tissue from my last problem, a small tweak causes more damage than it would to others.

“It’s still sore today but hopefully there’s no major ligament damage.”

The other starting winger, Nick Cummins, has a hamstring strain and if neither can play, Scott Staniforth can expect a recall.

Prop Ben Castle hurt his shoulder and scrum-half Josh Valentine his foot against the Crusaders, but neither are expected to miss the Sharks match.
    DAVE HUGHES

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=130282

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yeah bring it on

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe they should stay in Melbourne or Adelaide for the week and fly in for the match...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Maybe they should stay in Melbourne or Adelaide ...
    Careful what you say! We will end up with a home team based in and playing in Melbourne! LOL

Apprentice
    vCash
    HOPE STANIFORTH GETS A RUN, HE DESERVES IT.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I just hope we turn up for the game......we pay a shit load for these boys to play, and I expect 110% from them... WE ARE TOO SOFT! What's with playing like a bunch of girls in the first half then comming out and playing more like a team...FFS I don't give a flying what anybody thinks until you proove your selves....HTFU

Just happy to be here

vCash

Shite day EF?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I just hope we turn up for the game......we pay a shit load for these boys to play, and I expect 110% from them... WE ARE TOO SOFT! What's with playing like a bunch of girls in the first half then comming out and playing more like a team...FFS I don't give a flying what anybody thinks until you proove your selves....HTFU
    Well that extra 10% to make up your 110% can come from what they didn't use last week.... You probably ask for 125% going by that standard...

vCash
    Better not use the colour of the jerseys as an excuse this week.

vCash
    No excuse just give us a win

Player
    vCash
    Even though BC is a great cause and I hope everyone at subi gets behind them,I hope that the colour of the jersey does not have an impact on performance ,or becomes a distraction.

It must be a little unsettling playing in 3 different colours in 3 weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    Thankyou TEF. We are too soft and if we play like pansys again then well I just don't know. I could take offense from the playing like girls thing because seriously most girls would be playing better than last week's failed attempt at dignity. They are playing like pussys rather Not that it's something to smile about! If we want any shot at the title this year then something has to change and we need some MEN on the field rather than a whole bunch well OK girls is the only word that works there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Even though BC is a great cause and I hope everyone at subi gets behind them,I hope that the colour of the jersey does not have an impact on performance ,or becomes a distraction.

It must be a little unsettling playing in 3 different colours in 3 weeks.
    Does the colour.. really do that much? I play in different colours in netball, and I honestly don't really pay very much attention to what I'm wearing, I'm too busy trying to stop my opposition. Is it different for rugby?

I kinda hope it distracts the opposition maybe...

Last edited by robyn <3; 17-03-09 at 19:21. Reason: stop not spot!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They certainly won't be guessing who their teammates are, assuming they remember their own jersey colour.
    They are pro's, I'm sure it makes little difference and would never be mentioned if they win, therefore...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    they'll possible stand out to the ref more...?

vCash
    I thought last weeks performance was pretty good. The Crusaders defence was simply magnificent in the first half which forced a lot of mistakes. The effort was there and it was a great fightback. 2 points at Jade stadium doesn't come easily. 2 points is better than nothing which is what it looked like at half time.

They will have to play well again this week. Lets face it, there are no "easy" games.

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast