Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: for anyone who cares

vCash

for anyone who cares

Ive not been around for awhile because of an accident i had at work. I dropped 500kg piece of steel on my left index finger severing the flexor tendon and bruising some nerves resulting in a trip to the plastic surgeons for reconstruction. My rehab is going to take 3 months. I'll be off work for awhile so if my posting becomes a bit incessant i apologise in advance as i pretty much have nothing to do for awhile except doctors appointments and movement therapy. In good news my force jersey fits over my splint so i'll be wearing it a lot. If anyone has had a similar injury, i'd love to swap stories

Go the and the

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Near-t-top: Geez!! That sucks.. My injury wasn't that bad, smashed my middle finger with a makeshift sledgehammer, resulting in a compound fracture.. ligaments held the tip on as the bone poked through the skin, really weird to look at when it happened.. good luck in therapy, fighting the boredom sometimes becomes the hardest thing... did you say you were a metalsmith?

Last edited by thunderchicken9; 08-07-08 at 13:36. Reason: bad spelling!
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    That's gotta hurt! Was your finger pinned under the steel till someone could help lift it?

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    That's gotta hurt! Was your finger pinned under the steel till someone could help lift it?
    Hey Coach that doesn't really come across as being sympathetic.

Hey nearthetop, there are worse places to have to put your finger mate, just ask TLH.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    i broke my middle finger in year 9 playing touch rugby. the middle section of my finger was completely smashed and my finger was rotated, blue and facing the wrong way. had to wear a brace/sling over my whole arm and then a weird hand brace for many months after that

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    Near-t-top: Geez!! That sucks.. My injury wasn't that bad, smashed my middle finger with a makeshift sledgehammer, resulting in a compound fracture.. ligaments held the tip on as the bone poked through the skin, really weird to look at when it happened.. good luck in therapy, fighting the boredom sometimes becomes the hardest thing... did you say you were a metalsmith?
    its been a week and im bored silly but i got exercises to do every hour and i visit the therapist twice a week so its not all bad ......

im a qualified stonemason and rigger. we use a rollformer to make the light gauge steel framing, it does all th shaping, notching, measuring and produces pieces we assemble and use screws as fixings. it runs on a specially designed CAD programme. we also do light gauge steel folding eg flashing, guttering, ridge capping

we supply to portable building companies who provide accommodation to mine sites in cyclone areas ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    no, i pulled it out in a reflex action straight away, its probably how i tore the finger to shreds

it hurt almost as much as losing to the tahs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    i broke my middle finger in year 9 playing touch rugby. the middle section of my finger was completely smashed and my finger was rotated, blue and facing the wrong way. had to wear a brace/sling over my whole arm and then a weird hand brace for many months after that
    i got a weird hand brace on right now

vCash
    is it plastic and they melted it in hot water and then molded it to ur hand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    its been a week and im bored silly but i got exercises to do every hour and i visit the therapist twice a week so its not all bad ......

im a qualified stonemason and rigger. we use a rollformer to make the light gauge steel framing, it does all th shaping, notching, measuring and produces pieces we assemble and use screws as fixings. it runs on a specially designed CAD programme. we also do light gauge steel folding eg flashing, guttering, ridge capping

we supply to portable building companies who provide accommodation to mine sites in cyclone areas ....
    Hope the recovery goes quickly for you - sounds like you have some cool toys at work.. My shop's just simple pan brakes, hydraulic shears, all for light gauge stuff, mostly aluminum.. know anything about heat treating? i wish i did..

Last edited by thunderchicken9; 08-07-08 at 14:27. Reason: spelling-again
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    I hope you have a quick and successful recovery. Hopefully they gave you some good drugs to help with the boredom. I mean pain.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    is it plastic and they melted it in hot water and then molded it to ur hand?
    yep, its way better than the cast i had for the first few days. no more manky, itchy hand

vCash
    Typing will be good exercise for your finger. Keep the posts coming, it's now part of your rehabilitation!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nearthtop View Post
    yep, its way better than the cast i had for the first few days. no more manky, itchy hand

hahaha eeeew... just watch out the dead skin when u take it off..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    Hope the recovery goes quickly for you - sounds like you have some cool toys at work.. My shop's just simple pan brakes, hydraulic shears, all for light gauge stuff, mostly aluminum.. know anything about heat treating? i wish i did..
    no, sorry mate

weve actually got 3 of these rollformer. 2 do an 89mm stud frame and 1 does a 142mm stud frame.
    we bought 1 89mm and the 142mm rollformer from florida second hand

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast