Thread: Force are closer together: Giteau

vCash

Force are closer together: Giteau

Sorry about the duplication, just seen Skiza's post

Force are closer together: Giteau

February 15, 2008

AUSTRALIA star Matt Giteau claims the furore over the fight between close friend Matt Henjak and teammate Haig Sare, which could see both players sacked by the Western Force, has actually brought their team closer together.

Henjak was to partner Giteau behind the scrum for the Force against the powerful Sharks in Durban early Saturday (0410 AEDT), despite the threat to Henjak's career caused by the altercation in a Fremantle bar on Sunday which left Sare with a broken jaw.

Speaking ahead of the Super 14 opener, Giteau threw his full support behind his troubled teammate saying the controversy had been a "minor distraction".

"As a side you support the team through anything and personally I support Matty through anything. As a side, if anything, it's brought us closer together," Giteau said.

"Our whole focus has been on the game. Obviously it has had a minor disruption to the side, but if anything it has brought us closer together and from a personal point of view I support Matty through anything.

"He's a great mate of mine. This (match) will be good for him, get his mind off it a little bit."

Henjak and Sare will both face a Western Force disciplinary hearing via video link on Tuesday over the incident, with the threat of the Australian Rugby Union dishing out their own penalties also hanging over the players.

Despite ARU CEO John O'Neill saying he believed Henjak should not even be in South Africa let alone playing while the matter was being investigated, Giteau said Henjak's experience was vital to the Force in their daunting season opener.

"Matt has a lot of experience, he drives the forwards really well, he organises them well," Giteau said.

"From a five-eighth point of view he gives some great service. He's got a great pass.

"Obviously being good mates we really understand each other's game really well and I think we've got a connection on the field.

"He'll being playing well hopefully, mentally Matty's looking forward to it. It'll be a good distraction for him and I expect him to play well.

"It was unfortunate what happened, but from a player's point of view we're just worried about the game."

Henjak's disciplinary record is likely to weigh heavily against him, with incidents while on tour with the Wallabies and the Brumbies, and further allegations of an incident at former Brumbies teammate Owen Finegan's leaving party in 2005 coming to light this week.

The Nine network reported Henjak bit and hit lower-grade Randwick player Michael Girvan in 2005 at the farewell.

Police were reportedly called and statements taken, but the matter was dropped when Henjak agreed to contribute $5,000 to charity.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by KenyaQuin; 15-02-08 at 13:40.