Thread: Brumbies wary of poaching rule change

vCash

Question Brumbies wary of poaching rule change

February 22, 2010 - 7:04PM

The Brumbies have warned existing Australian Super rugby teams are vulnerable to another Western Force-type raid after the Australian Rugby Union significantly relaxed its poaching restrictions on Monday.

New Super 15 franchise the Melbourne Rebels' recruitment campaign will move up a notch with the ARU bringing forward its player transfer deadline almost 11 weeks to March 15.

Eager to avoid another Force poaching frenzy, when the battling Queensland Reds were pillaged in 2005, the national body had originally set a May 31 deadline.

But with the Rebels only having one player on its books for 2011, former England five-eighth Danny Cipriani, and threatening legal action, all five provinces are now free to start signing Australian-based Super 14 players in three weeks' time.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan would not criticise the ARU but was disappointed by the late alteration, forcing existing teams to make contract calls on their players after just a handful of rounds into the 2010 Super 14.

Fagan felt a struggling team, like Jeff Miller's Reds of five years ago, would be in incredible danger of having their talent stripped midway through the season.

"We have to work hard to make sure it doesn't descend into a farce which it had previously," he said. "I hope there's no repeat from last time but we'll wait and see.

"We're forced into doing something we don't want to do and that doesn't sit well but I'm not criticising the ARU at all because they have a challenging position with a new team coming in."

But Fagan said his own fears were not of the Rod Macqueen-led Rebels raiding the Brumbies ranks, more the already established provinces.

"Melbourne doesn't concern me, I don't think they can sell a dream over what we've got here," he said. "I'd be far more concerned about Queensland and NSW and the Western Force who have proven rugby programs rather than a team being put together for the first time."

The ARU's decision, and an extension for the Rebels to reach their working capital requirement, will still ease pressure on the privately owned franchise, who are reportedly seeking an additional $6 million in private equity.

Investors have been waiting to see what kind of team the Rebels recruit before they commit to the franchise.

"The sooner we get moving in announcing key signings of Australian players, the sooner we can put together a financial proposition to build the brand of the Rebels so it was imperative that that changed to assist us," said Rebels chief executive Brian Waldron of the date change.

"In essence this gives us 11 months to put together a team to run on the park and also to get the necessary funds together from a commercial and sponsorship point of view.

"I came out of last week's meeting with (ARU boss) John O'Neill absolutely confident that the ARU was supportive of what we were trying to do and this confirms my belief.

"They want us to be successful, they want to help us be successful and at the same time ensure the existing provinces are protected where possible."

O'Neill admitted players announcing midway through a season they would be switching teams the following season was still a concern.

The Rebels' wish-list includes Stirling Mortlock, Berrick Barnes, David Pocock, Peter Hynes and Benn Robinson, while they are waiting to hear back from former league Test star Mark Gasnier after the ARU tabled him a formal offer.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0222-orfj.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So, let's get this right. Brumbies poach pretty much all the talent that's coming off contract in Australia, refuse to even consider helping out the Force when Matty Toomua would've been a worthwhile thing to do, and now are getting precious about Melbourne raiding talent.

Pot-Kettle much?

C'mon the

vCash
    Just to recap for GiGsy benefit...

Fagan felt a struggling team, like Jeff Miller's Reds of five years ago, would be in incredible danger of having their talent stripped midway through the season.

"We have to work hard to make sure it doesn't descend into a farce which it had previously," he said. "I hope there's no repeat from last time but we'll wait and see.

vCash
    Give it three more rounds, the Brumbies will become Eddie Jones' Queensland......full of talent, but going nowhere!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So, let's get this right. Brumbies poach pretty much all the talent that's coming off contract in Australia, refuse to even consider helping out the Force when Matty Toomua would've been a worthwhile thing to do, and now are getting precious about Melbourne raiding talent.

Pot-Kettle much?
    GiGSY the Force had several talented young Flyhalves and 12s WTF did Mitchell do with them... And where are they now... Your bleating is pitiful... give it a rest… ask your coach why the cupboard is bare… don’t blame the Brumbies for being well managed and efficient…

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't much subscribe to Gigs's POV Muddie, but that would have to be leading with your chin - all those promising flyhalves went elsewhere, having taken a look at their prospects once Giteau was the automatic choice. Time remains to tell how the Brumbies equivalents will react....

vCash
    don't need to say anything really do I?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I don't much subscribe to Gigs's POV Muddie, but that would have to be leading with your chin - all those promising flyhalves went elsewhere, having taken a look at their prospects once Giteau was the automatic choice. Time remains to tell how the Brumbies equivalents will react....
    Yep they stayed for the first season... Friends is already giving them a go Toomua has played one full game and off the bench in another... Lealiifano both full matches... Mitchell never gave the young guys a go, even just a little go, he was selfish about his results, his glory and not the development of the young guys so they pissed off...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    How many Brumbies/Who is off contract? You'd probably better cross your fingers that you win it this year as its unlikely that either the Tahs or Brumbies will come close again in the next two or three years post Melbourne. Someone will make the finals though what with the new conference system.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.