Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gasnier tipped for gold jersey

vCash

Post Gasnier tipped for gold jersey

23rd September 2009

Returning ex-Stade Français coach Ewen McKenzie reckons that Mark Gasnier could yet force his way into the Wallaby Test team if he came home.

Gasnier, 28, headed for the bright lights and pink shirts of Paris a shade over a year ago, leaving rugby league and St. George Illawara to make the change in the most intimidating of circumstances.

Not only was he confronted with a completely new game, he was, by and large, being taught by Christophe Dominici, whose English is far from perfect.

Yet within a few weeks the tall and abrasive-running winger was running in the tries for his new team and has continued to progess this year into someone who looks to be the real deal.

In an interview with Australia's Daily Telegraph McKenzie said that Gasnier ought to be a consideration for the national side if he ever makes it home.

"In a difficult environment he has progressed pretty well and that will continue, I can't stress how hard it was having to learn the game in a different environment when the backs coach didn't speak English," McKenzie said.

"He virtually got off the plane after a 32-game league season and then played another 25-odd games. That is mentally tough.

"My impression is that he was looking for a new challenge and is certainly enjoying the fact that it is something different.

"So you can't imagine by the middle of next year that he is not going to be an attractive prospect.

"He is not the finished article - no one ever is. But he is feeling more and more comfortable about rugby by the day.

"He also knows there are still bits and pieces he has to become instinctive about.

"If he came back here and there was anything left to develop it would happen pretty quickly."

There still remains a question over which position Gasnier would be best suited to. He has run from wing as that is an easier basic position to learn, but suspicions lurk that his strength with the ball in hand might be best suited to centre, where he has made a few apearances. McKenzie was also planning to give him a run at full-back before he was unceremoniously sacked three weeks ago.

Gasnier's contract expires at the end of this season and the Australian franchises are looking on with curiosity at what his plans might be.

"He is a starting player every week and has done it in multiple positions - that suggests how important he was on the field," McKenzie said.

"I keep in touch with him, when you get involved with these players you want to see them do well."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...578577,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I guess we'll see whether he is interested in coming back and playing for $110k and third party money...

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I guess we'll see whether he is interested in coming back and playing for $110k and third party money...
    Or perhaps tempted by a Wallabies Jersey

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Wallabies need more depth and experience, not all the baby wallabies will be ready to be real contenders by 2011 RWC... Gus like Gaz would strengthen the squad... and could bring some needed attention to Super rugby which is lacking now in OZ...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But he should have to prove it before he gets to negotiate for a Wallabies berth...

vCash
    He only left the Dragons because a 3rd party deal fell through so he went chasing big bucks overseas, if he wants to come back though I won't complain. Agree with Andy that he should prove himself at Super Rugby level before the ARU start throwing the big $$$ at him

vCash
    Agreed... he can play S14 first.... But he is a contender... I'm interested to see how his defense is...

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    He only left the Dragons because a 3rd party deal fell through, so he went chasing big bucks overseas, if he wants to come back though I won't complain. Agree with Andy that he should prove himself at Super Rugby level before the ARU start throwing the big $$$ at him
    I guess if he's looking for a 3rd party deal he'll end up at the force....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I guess if he's looking for a 3rd party deal he'll end up at the force....
    Possibly, I would guess the Brumbies used all of their 3rd party resources luring Matt Giteau and Rocky Elsom

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Third party means recognisable - I suspect he'd be more likely to finish up somewhere where the general population has the first idea who he is. He has worn pink, so baby blue would actually be a step up!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Assuming at an appropriate salary for his limited experience, I wouldn't have a problem with Gaz continuing to learn at the Force.
    If has any aspirations of playing a World Cup he has to get back to Australia before the end of S14/15 2011 as I think the opportunity will have passed him by by 2015.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He could be a good fit at the Force... I don't think he wishes to drive back into the Sydney media fish bowl...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't think the Force are stupid enough to be interested. He's what 28 so he has a shelf-life as a back of about 4 years tops. He's far from being a finished article having only had one season under his belt and he will almost certainly price himself a country mile above what he's worth having played in the French Top 14. It'd be better to invest in someone 5 years younger. Let him sign with the Tahs. If you are gonna buy someone old you may as well get someone experienced.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'm a fan but if he comes back he'd basically only have half a season of club rugby and one Super 14 campaign before the RWC. Don't know if that's pushing it?

Now imagine if this was a 28 year old Reg Gasnier we were talking about...

vCash
    How old was Ryan Cross when we picked him up?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Gaz has got a good 5 years in him playing at 13...
    Wallabies need some large quick backs for some RWC matches or part of...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast