Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gatecrashers flee whip-wielding dad

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Gatecrashers flee whip-wielding dad

Good on him I say. If he is charged there should be protests held around Australia.
    The Gatecrashers are in the wrong and short of pulling out a shotgun or a sword I think anything else is fair game.

Gatecrashers flee whip-wielding dad
    By MATTHEW BENNS - SMH | Sunday, 17 August 2008

A marauding gang of teenage gatecrashers got more than they bargained for when an angry Sydney householder used a whip to eject them from his 16-year-old son's party.

Dion Driman pulled out a South African sjambok when more than 30 youths attempted to storm into the party at the rear of his home at Wahroonga in Sydney's north.

Now he may face police charges for using excessive force to drive the youths from his home last Saturday night.

"I told them it was a private party and to clear off but this big youth put his face right into mine and said: 'make me'," said Mr Driman, 46.

The South African electrical contractor said he had "sensed trouble" when he saw the youths outside and had armed himself with a decorative sjambok from inside the house.

The gang split into two groups and entered the house at the front and side, kicking a screen door off its hinges in the process. Mr Driman, the only adult at his son's party, confronted the ringleader as he came around the side of the house.

"As I tackled him, six of them came over the top of me. I received a big hit to the side of my head," said Mr Driman. "It happened really quickly."

His son Brennan said: "There were six or seven really big, buff guys on top of my dad, hitting him. I had to try and pull him out."

As he got clear Mr Driman started using the sjambok - a 1.5 metre plastic whip like the traditional rhino hide whips used by South African herdsmen.

"I am certainly not a hero. I just defended my property and my son's friends. There were a group of 15-year-old girls there too," said Mr Driman. "These guys were much bigger.

"People have had enough. This gang has been terrorising people whose kids are having parties for months now. Somebody needed to stand up to them."

Brennan added: "I know that if Dad had not stood up to them they would have completely trashed the house and stolen anything they could get their hands on."

None of the youths could be identified and so no charges were laid. Local police were called to the incident and are understood to be considering whether the force Mr Driman used to protect his home was excessive.

NSW Police could not comment on the incident yesterday but a spokesman told the local paper Mr Driman had the right to defend himself - the question was whether he had used too much force.

"All I would suggest, if a situation arises again, leave it to the police to handle," he said.

Mr Driman remained unrepentant: "I would gladly do it again. They picked on the wrong guy," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    i agree flame. This world has truely gone to the toilet when people can't defend their property. Wouldn't one of the gatecrashers have had to make a complaint for any possible charges to laid against him?

I say give him a medal
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FT
    Good on him I say. If he is charged there should be protests held around Australia.
    Couldn't agree more. I've personally been warned against this myself by the local constabulary.

"All I would suggest, if a situation arises again, leave it to the police to handle," he said.
    And watch your house getting trashed while you wait. What a joke.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Civil libertarians have a lot to answer for in this regard, by the sound of it he was assualted in his own home, therefore any defence would be reasonable i believe, bar killing the ar*eholes, that would be excessive...
    If we keep on protecting the thugs and criminals we'll all be f*cked in the end...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Good on him! I don't believe property should be put above peoples lives/livleyhood no matter how much they deserve it - a whip is a stroke of genius. Scary as buggery in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, unlikely to kill you (except the old 'You'll put an eye out with that') and would hurt like hell. Using a baseball/cricket bat is taking it too far.

However if people are at risk of death or serious injury, beat the bastards back with whatever you can get you hands on...

Player
    vCash
    hes the indiana jones of south african electrical contractors

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Dunno about that, Coach

SJAMBOKS

Looks like it could do some serious damage if you had the room to get it swinging

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Good on him, he got bashed so of course he is entitled to protect himself and could easily claim self-defence.
    I would love if that happened in my house...dad has spears or my neighbours' house, they have guns.
    Ok maybe that would be taking it a little far, but everyone has the right to protect themselves and their property, I say go for it just don't kill them or hurt them too bad...maybe just disable them (not permanently just til the cops arrive).

vCash
    i dont think he went far enough, he should have used a golf club.

vCash
    good on him!
    i would have pulled out a length of garden hose for the other hand! that little green pipe stings like nothing else!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Seems like certain Dads have done a good and enthusiastic job of keeping their offspring in line...

vCash
    nah. dad never used to smack me. was always mum.
    hahaha i remember when i was about 5 she broke a wooden spoon across my arse. because i had something in my back pocket. i turned around, laughed and said "now you dont have a wooden spoon" it was the wrong thing to say let me tell you

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    What I can't get my head around is the attitude of the police. We seem to be expected to not stand up for what is right (ie this is my house LEAVE), and to essentially stand back and live in fear. I just don't understand why we are expected to sit back and become victims, and if we don't we become criminals. It makes no sense to me.

vCash
    Yeah but this guy said get out of my house like he was meant to and then got jumped bu "six or seven big, really buff guys" I mean if a rubber hose is excessive force in that situation I don't know how you get out of it, short of repeatedly headbutting their fists until they get sick of you bleeding on them.

BTW what would be the par on the golf club Jazza, would you go the driver or would a 3 iron be enough?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    i dont think he went far enough, he should have used a golf club.
    I'd go the sjambok. I'd probably have an airy with a golf club.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast