Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Croft drops retirement bombshell

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Croft drops retirement bombshell

The Queensland Reds are reeling from the news stalwart David Croft will retire from all forms of professional rugby at the end of this Super 14 season.

An emotional Croft told teammates of his shock decision last night before fronting for the media this morning.

He revealed he had been thinking about his future more than a year ago but put any thought of retirement on hold after Queensland's dismal 2007 season.

"I didn't want to leave the Reds in that position and I still believed that I could help their cause. It's not in my nature to leaving a sinking ship. I wanted to get to the point where I could see light at the end of the tunnel and I think that's we are there now," he said.

"The team means everything to me. Their wellbeing has always been my focus.

"Fronting them last night and informing them of my decision was possibly the toughest thing I've had to do."

The 29-year-old flanker, who played five times for the Wallabies after debuting in 2002, has caught everyone by surprise.

He had one year remaining on his Reds contract and has been playing some of his best rugby after being relegated to the bench for two Super 14 matches earlier in the year.

Last month, Croft explained to brisbanetimes.com.au how he came to terms with his dropping by writing down everything he loved about the sport which had been his livelihood for the past decade.

He realised he needed to relax and enjoy the game more, but has clearly since reassessed his position.

"I would be doing Queensland rugby, my teammates and myself a disservice by playing on if my heart's not in it. For me, it's either all or nothing," Croft said.

"I believe it's much better making that decision now and giving the Reds time before next season to free up funds to recruit new players."

The door has now been opened for Reds academy backrower Poutasi Luafutu to cement his position in the run-on side.

Croft, who has played 92 consecutive Super rugby games since 2001, joins Chris Latham (Worcester), Sam Cordingley (Grenoble) and Stephen Moore (Brumbies or Western Force) in exiting Ballymore at the end of the year.

He seems likely to pursue a career in the corporate world.

Croft has been studying for a Bachelor of Business Management at the University of Queensland and also represents rising Australia footballer David Williams for sports management firm International Quarterback.

Marc Fox, Brisbane Times
    Croft drops retirement bombshell - rugbyheaven.com.au

Anyone else worried about what this might mean for David Pocock?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    eeeep

vCash
    This paves the way for our Bam Bam to go back home doesn't it...

But please stay... please?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Depends a bit. Bam Bam might be less inclined to go home without the mentoring of Crofty. But it certainly opens up a nice opportunity for him.

Good luck to Crofty - a real team man who has stuck at it in the hard times. Truth is, he can see a new generation of talented Reds coming through and probably doesn't want to block the generational change that Mooney is building.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Thats a damn shame - a quality player.

Nice to see someone retiring on their own terms rather then someone elses.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

Croft to call it a day at season's end

QUEENSLAND Reds and former Test flanker David Croft announced today he will retire from professional rugby at the end of the 2008 season.
    Croft, who has played 114 matches for Queensland and 92 consecutive Super rugby competition games since 2001, still had one year left to run on his contract.

However he said with a good crop of young players coming through at the Reds, now was the right time to leave.

“I would be doing Queensland Rugby, my team-mates and myself a disservice by playing on if my heart's not in it,” Croft said.

“For me, it's either all or nothing.

“I believe it's much better making that decision now and giving the Reds time before next season, to free up funds to recruit new players.

“Money is not my motivation for playing. I'm 29, I've completely devoted myself to playing professional rugby for more than 10 seasons. I just want to do something different.”

Croft revealed he had started thinking about his future more than a year ago but put any thought of retirement on hold after the Reds dismal 2007 season.

“I didn't want to leave the Reds in that position and I still believed that I could help their cause,” he said.

“It's not in my nature to leave a sinking ship. I wanted to get to the point where I could see light at the end of the tunnel and I think that we are there now.

“The team means everything to me. Their wellbeing has always been my focus. Fronting them last night and informing them of my decision was possibly the toughest thing I've had to do.”

Croft earned five Wallaby caps after making his Test debut against Argentina in 2002.

“I have been given the privilege of representing my state in over 110 games and my country at the highest level and I am happy to leave with no regrets.”

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    PLEASE STAY BAMBAM!!!!

Congratulations to Crofty, I haven't watched much of his playing but like Ex said it is good that he can leave on his own terams & I'm sure he has a great career to reflect on!!

vCash
    Laura- have you offered to be Bam Bams friend yet??

vCash
    I dont think so, maybe that is what is lacking...

BAMBAM I WILL BE YOUR FRIEND TOO, IF YOU STAY!!!!
    Just add it in to your contract.

vCash
    And THAT'S a deal-maker, just ask Sheps

vCash
    its really good to see a player like Croft retire when he wants to, from what i have heard the bloke is pretty well off financially, hence him not chasing the $ in Europe.

Good on ya Crofty, he and Latham are the two player who IMHO represent the QLD passion the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I dont think so, maybe that is what is lacking...

BAMBAM I WILL BE YOUR FRIEND TOO, IF YOU STAY!!!!
    Just add it in to your contract.
    ok, now i can sleep easier tonight
    hes not going anywhere

vCash

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Although I never saw him as an International class Openside, you could never wish for a better, bigger hearted player in a S14 Squad than Crofty.
    An absolute servant to the code and I hope they give him a suitable final match by reaming the southern neighbours one more time.
    Just a bit of a pity that he couldn't get that amazing record of conscutive matches to 100.
    At the end of the day he probably had no more blood or scar tissue to give.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Stalwart Queensland Reds flanker David Croft retiresStalwart Queensland Reds flanker David Croft retires | The Courier-Mail

RETIRING ironman David Croft has urged the Reds to do whatever it takes to lure Western Force colt David Pocock into the No. 7 jersey he will wear for the final time on May 17.

The indestructible flanker's decision to retire because he no longer feels he can commit to his own obsessive standards will take effect after a Suncorp Stadium finale against old foe NSW.

He is walking away from $200,000-plus, the final year of his contract in 2009, to avoid ever feeling rugby had become "a job".
    The shaven-headed forward has copped more than 700 stitches to his face as testimony to the heart he has poured into a phenomenal streak of 92 consecutive Super rugby games.

On Saturday night, he will attack No. 93 against the top-placed Canterbury Crusaders at Suncorp without back-row ally John Roe, whose season is over with further surgery booked for his troublesome left shoulder.

"I suppose the body is pretty sore but you can always push the body to carry on," an emotional Croft, 29, said yesterday.

"If I'd gone on another year, training would have been verging on a chore, rugby would have been a job and I would have been doing myself and teammates a disservice with my heart not fully into it. For me, it's either all or nothing.

"It has absolutely torn at me to see blokes, over the years, just turn up and pick up a cheque. I never wanted to be one of those players."

Croft said the two openside flankers in the current Reds squad, Tasi Luafutu and A. J. Gilbert, had great potential to improve but his top solution for the Reds lay elsewhere.

"If we could get Dave Pocock it would be fantastic. He's a fantastic talent and I've urged for years to get him on board at the Reds," Croft said of the Wallaby-in-waiting.

The Reds have a contract offer on the table with the Zimbabwean-born Pocock, who was a schoolmate of Quade Cooper in Brisbane where his parents still live.

Croft said he could not leave the Reds at rock bottom last year when he captained the side that lost by a record 92-3 to the Bulls.

"It's not my nature to leave a sinking ship," Croft said.

"I wanted to get to the point of light at the end of the tunnel, which we're definitely at now with (coach) Phil Mooney there to take a young team of a new era to the next level."

Roe is booked for surgery on May 15 to loosen ligaments and examine the joint after stoutly playing through the pain of a bad shoulder all season.

Fullback Chris Latham's exuberant training session at Ballymore yesterday guaranteed he will face the Crusaders

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast