Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force to sign Elsom, Valentine

vCash

Force to sign Elsom, Valentine

THE showdown between NSW and the Western Force on Saturday has been given extra spice with revelations the Force is trying to poach Rocky Elsom and Josh Valentine.

And in another contract move at the Perth-based outfit, Force boss Mitch Hardy has urged rising star David Pocock not to throw away a future Test career for the sake of money after the teenage flanker rejected an ARU offer.

Elsom, who is off contract at the end of this year, is expected to decide in coming weeks between remaining in Australia or going overseas.

The Force admits it made the Wallaby flanker an offer last month.

"We did put one in a number of weeks ago and we haven't heard anything since," Hardy said.

"We've just left it for Rocky and the ARU to sort out."

The Force is also keen to lure Valentine from NSW. The former Wallaby halfback has been third-string for the Waratahs for much of this year and the Force needs No. 9 depth after sacking Matt Henjak.

The ARU is waiting to hear from Pocock and his management after the 19-year-old rejected a reported $150,000-a-year offer two weeks ago.

Along with his Force contract, Pocock could earn about $400,000 a year if, as expected, he goes on to play Test football and gets match payments (of $11,000).

Pocock's management is believed to have received at least one substantial Euro-pean offer but Hardy urged the Australia A forward not to walk away from Australia.

"I am not entirely confident he's done the right thing in walking away from the ARU's offer," Hardy said.

"He probably could get a gig overseas but that's not going to do his career in rugby any good.

"He can play for his country in the next 12-24 months, there's no doubt about that. He has to be a little patient.

"I don't think he can afford to look at the short monetary gain over the long-term gain he's going to have with his career in Australia. He could play for Australia for 10 years.

"You are looking down the barrel of another George Smith or Phil Waugh."

Hardy said he had been unable to budge the ARU on offering an improved figure to Pocock. The Reds are desperate to sign Pocock but he is tipped to remain in Perth.

There are suggestions Pocock may re-sign with the Force and back himself to play his way into a better negotiating position later in the year.

The Force is also close to tying up Ryan Cross after using part of its $120,000 wildcard money – provided by the ARU to help re-sign key players above the salary cap – on the centre.

The ARU has also tabled a two-year offer for the in-form Cross, who has received offers to return to league.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    When did Pocock come to Australia? He probably doesn't have the loyalty to Australia that most long time residents would have therefore the lure of the Wallabies can be muted by a pretty bad ARU deal....

vCash
    Any idea who wrote that article??

vCash
    Written by Iain Payten, got a run in the Courier Mail by the looks of it.

vCash
    Brisbane paper isn't it?

vCash
    yep

vCash
    Just a thought has Rocky be told to look over seas if he wants big money?
    I would have thought he would have fit into the Force strategy - developing youth.
    Valentine would provide a good battle to Chris O'Young for the starting shirt and like any other half is the mix for Wallaby 9. I would have thought playing with likely Wallaby 10 would give you the inside running when it come s to Wallaby selection!

Keeping Bam Bam would be a priority if I was RWA boss - if not I'd be looking for another young sprout.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    When did Pocock come to Australia? He probably doesn't have the loyalty to Australia that most long time residents would have therefore the lure of the Wallabies can be muted by a pretty bad ARU deal....
    2002, but I can't believe a 19 year old would turn down an international cap in favour of the money. If nothing else, his value would have to near double as a test match player and I'm sure his agent is aware of that.

vCash
    Yep- they've basically told Rocky if it's money he wants then Europe's his only option. I'm surprised they're not going out of thier way to keep him- as much as it pains me to say kind things about the Tahs I rate him- good player, plays himself into the ground week in week out and seems to have a very good head on him for a 24/25 year old.

vCash
    I don't think its a money issue for Pocock. He has just set up the WHYGEN charity with Luke Holmes. From reading what the chairty stands for, I don't think he is a money-driven player. I also think that this is another reason for him to stay playing Rugby in Perth & Australia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    2002, but I can't believe a 19 year old would turn down an international cap in favour of the money. If nothing else, his value would have to near double as a test match player and I'm sure his agent is aware of that.
    That's what's so difficult to understand this decision, perhaps they are waiting for the ARU to do a bit of a backflip and table a large pay package...but that could backfire big time if the ARU don't play ball...I wonder if we'd be in this situation if it wasn't for these large pay packages to Lote and his mate...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Interesting observation there BLR but I would have to disagree with you. I'll try and avoid getting into an argument about patriotism, loyalty stuff and approach this from a different angle.

The ARU have possibly deemed at this point that they have several options at his position and therefore his value at present is not significantly above the alternatives. They have quite obviously been immersed for sometime in attracting and retaining "high-profile" backs and have forgotten a basic but fundamental rugby rule, investment in the engine room generates the platform and clean ball needed for expansive, attractive rugby they so crave.

Europe on the other hand, are looking for any which way to (1) improve the quality of their listed players and (2) win win win and to achieve this are willing to splash out the huge amounts of money.

At his age and following a growing trend, there could be plenty of opportunity for him to return and represent Australia, providing he keeps healthy and his game is upto scratch. Its upto the ARU to do what must be done, I for one will not begrudge Poccock for capitalising on the opportunities presented to him.

vCash
    Fair point KQ. Europe has its benefits but at the same time most players take that opportunity once they've etablished themselves enough in Aus to be wanted again when they return. Look at kiwis like McAlistar. He was an All Black before he went overseas and he plans to come back and will likely still be an All Black if he takes the opportunity to develop his talent further. I'm not convinced that Pocock has that yet. Sure he's brilliant (I don't doubt that) but it would seem from the ARU's offer that perhaps they haven't quite worked that out yet. He runs the risk of leaving and then returning and finding that someone else has stepped up to the plate and he's no longer wanted or we can no longer afford him...

I hope he stays though. As for Rocky I wouldn't mind having him over in the West. I"m all for new talent but it'd be nice to see some more experience in our forward pack. And you're not wrong Swee....you can't fault his work ethic. He still has a good few years left in him as well

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Europe on the other hand, are looking for any which way to (1) improve the quality of their listed players and (2) win win win and to achieve this are willing to splash out the huge amounts of money.
    The main difference between us and Europe is the ownership of the teams. Until we get away from the ARU and individual state unions controlling all the teams we will not be able to compete with billionaire owners of European clubs. Look at this past year in the ARU. An $8 million loss was seen as an enormous figure and if we get a few more years like that the ARU will be in real trouble. $8 million to a billionaire owner is nothing.

The main concern with selling off the teams is what we have seen in Europe where the teams now control all the players and sometimes they aren't released for international play. The way we could get around that would be that the ARU owns the licenses and sells them off to the investors. With two conditions 1)only Australian eligible players can be on your team and 2) players must be released for international play. Actually #2 wouldn't matter because the SANZAR would still run Super 14 and the schedule would not conflict with the Wallabies games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Actually #2 wouldn't matter because the SANZAR would still run Super 14 and the schedule would not conflict with the Wallabies games.
    I can forsee a future where these teams would arrange things such as exhibition matches in Asia or whatever or even set up a provincial competition during international season which would bring about a conflict...I mean, the owners would be rich as they identify new areas to grow into well. I doubt they will set back and let the ARU have it's way....the problems with the clubs and RFU could be repeated...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast