Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Injury Updates

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Injury Updates

Wallabies No 8 Wycliff Palu is returning to Australia. The 29 year-old limped out of his 38th Test match last weekend in Wellington after suffering the reoccurrence of a hamstring strain in his left leg.

Scans in Christchurch yesterday revealed the extent of the damage.

Given the reoccurrence of the injury, Palu is expected to require six weeks of rehabilitation before he would be fit to be considered for selection again.

Unfortunately this time frame rules him out of further participation in the Rugby World Cup which has prompted the selectors to release him from the squad.

“It’s bad luck for Wycliff. Unfortunately his previous history of injury in this area has impacted, in terms of lengthening the timelines that are required for his rehabilitation,” Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says.

While Palu will be replaced in Australia’s 30-man squad, Deans says the selectors will be taking their time with that decision, and may even delay any call until after this weekend’s final Pool match against Russia in Nelson, so they can determine at that point what the team’s specific needs are.

Lock Dan Vickerman and fullback Kurtley Beale also underwent scans in Christchurch yesterday.

Vickerman was cleared of any problems in his leg.

Beale, who left the field during the first half of last week’s 67-5 win over the United States, was diagnosed with a minor hamstring strain which will see him rested from this weekend’s final pool match in order to get him ready for a possible quarter-final the following weekend.

Midfielders Pat McCabe (shoulder), Anthony Fainga’a (head) and Rob Horne (cheek) also left the field during Australia’s third pool match.

Fainga’a is following the IRB concussion protocols required by tournament and could be available for Australia’s next match.

Although McCabe and Horne will miss Saturday’s historic game against Russia, the timelines have been established for their return to playing duties, and they will both be remaining with the squad.

McCabe, who has made considerable progress with his injury since last weekend, is expected to be fit for consideration for a possible quarter-final appointment, while a possible semi-final (should Australia qualify) has been set as the return date for Horne after he underwent scans in Christchurch on Sunday.

Although unavailable to play, Horne will run with the squad during its public training in Hanmer Springs this afternoon.

Winger Digby Ioane is continuing his rehabilitation from the dislocated thumb he sustained in Australia’s opening match of the tournament against Italy, and is on-track to be available should the Wallabies qualify for the quarter-finals.

Flankers David Pocock (back) and Scott Higginbotham (back), winger James O’Connor and lock James Horwill (shoulder) are all expected to be available for selection for Australia’s next match at the tournament.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Start packing hodgo!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Full strength for the quarter final

Deans should let the backups play against Russia. There has been enough carnage without risking players in a match against rugby minnows

Dead set

Controversy corner

vCash
    They might be holding out from announcing a replacement for Palu because they are trying to work our a way to get George Smith back lol i can dream.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Full strength for the quarter final

Deans should let the backups play against Russia. There has been enough carnage without risking players in a match against rugby minnows

Dead set
    shit yeah.

That will be a huge plus if Ioane is back for the QF.

vCash
    So. Basically, unless phibbs plays against Russia, we won't see him at all unless genia and burgess get Injured?

Real awesome selection there deans...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    That is a shame, I thought Palu was starting to look good in that game. I am still not convinced with Samo, he is hot and cold and I think he is only good for about 50-60 minutes. I guess it will work out ok because McCalman will move back to the bench and can replace him for the last 20-30 mins.

This might sound harsh but the injuries to McCabe, Faingaa and Vickerman might be a good thing if they finally force Deans to play Barnes at 12, AAC at 13 and Sharpe in the second row like he should have from the start!

vCash
    I have been doing a bit of internet trolling and came across and post suggesting a back line as follows:
    9 - Genia
    10 - Barnes
    11- JOC
    12 - Beale
    13 - AAC
    14 - Mitchell
    15 – QC

20 - Fainga
    21 – Digbi
    22 – Burgess

I thought this line looks very interesting and promising. Beale at 12 could be a good fit he is great in defence and always seams to get on the outside of defence. QC didn’t look to bad at the back gives him time and space to make his magic and Barnes at 10 is very solid and offers all the flair of Cooper and non of the brain farts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post

This might sound harsh but the injuries to McCabe, Faingaa and Vickerman might be a good thing if they finally force Deans to play Barnes at 12, AAC at 13 and Sharpe in the second row like he should have from the start!
    Couldn't agree more. McCabe & Faingaa offer very little in attack. Barnes can also step in at 10 as and when during the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    I have been doing a bit of internet trolling and came across and post suggesting a back line as follows:
    9 - Genia
    10 - Barnes
    11- JOC
    12 - Beale
    13 - AAC
    14 - Mitchell
    15 – QC

20 - Fainga
    21 – Digbi
    22 – Burgess

I thought this line looks very interesting and promising. Beale at 12 could be a good fit he is great in defence and always seams to get on the outside of defence. QC didn’t look to bad at the back gives him time and space to make his magic and Barnes at 10 is very solid and offers all the flair of Cooper and non of the brain farts.
    QC has played a fair bit of club rugby at fullback.

However we will not win a world cup with sookface at 10. He has no attacking flair.

There may be a case for him at 12 (if fully fit). In fact the following would be shit hot

9 Sanchez
    10 QC
    11 Diggers
    12 Sookface
    13 Two Dads
    14 Rabbit
    15 Kurtley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    15 – QC
    I would not play QC at 15 - That is our last line of defence and he is shocking at defence

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    QC has played a fair bit of club rugby at fullback.

However we will not win a world cup with sookface at 10. He has no attacking flair.

There may be a case for him at 12 (if fully fit). In fact the following would be shit hot

9 Sanchez
    10 QC
    11 Diggers
    12 Sookface
    13 Two Dads
    14 Rabbit
    15 Kurtley
    That would be my starting team as well with Mitchell coming of the bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    I would not play QC at 15 - That is our last line of defence and he is shocking at defence
    Agreed. a 15 needs to be able to tackle consistently
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    He's been playing 15 in defence for two years......bit late to complain about it now!

C'mon the

vCash
    Not the first time i have
    I think it puts our attack and especially our counter on the back foot...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast