Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hodgson offers Force a rare ray of light

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Hodgson offers Force a rare ray of light

Nick Taylor
    April 15, 2015, 7:55 am

Western Force have finally had some good news in a painful Super Rugby season.

Captain Matt Hodgson has agreed to a new deal and No.8 Ben McCalman is expected to announce he is also staying in Perth as early as tomorrow.

Hodgson has become one of a rare breed, a player who will spend his entire Super career at one club.

The veteran Wallabies flanker turned down the lure of the yen and the euro from Japanese and European clubs to commit to the Force for another two years and play out his career in Perth.

His new deal commits him to next season with the option of an extension in 2017, but he is already looking at a third year.

Meanwhile, as revealed inThe West Australian earlier this month, Wallabies No.8 McCalman has rejected a big offer by the Waratahs, who were desperate to have him replace Wycliff Palu, another player heading to Japan after the World Cup.

McCalman, who will stay with the club that gave him his Super Rugby start in 2010, has scored an ARU flexible contract allowing him to play in Japan after the World Cup. He will join the Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights and return for the 2016 Super Rugby season.

Hodgson, 33, a Force foundation member and the most capped player with 113 appearances, said he was excited at being a one-club player.

“The first option was always going to be the Force,” he said.

“There were a few options overseas but everything has panned out perfectly and to be able to stay here is something pretty special. I started at the club in 2005 and I still don’t feel like I’ve achieved what I’ve set out to do.

“As long as I’m still enjoying playing I’ll definitely play those two years, and even a third year if the body is still feeling right.

“I can see myself playing for a few more years.”

Coach Michael Foley said Hodgson was at the heart of the club.

“In his performances as a player and leader, Hodgo’s demonstrated unconditional commitment to the club,” Foley said.

“’Earning respect is the core value of our team, and Matt epitomises that in the way he plays, the way he deals with his teammates and our supporters.”

Hodgson, who has been sidelined all season with a ham-string problem, will miss Saturday’s clash with the Stormers at nib Stadium and is set to return the following Friday against the powerful Chiefs at Waikato Stadium.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-ray-of-light/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Great news & I hope he stays fit to play on and on.

I feel a bit better now that I'm over the hurt of last Saturday.

I'm staying bobbing around in the Sea of Blue - #notdrowning-waving

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Fantastic news, I also am a little happier now than I was last Sunday morning.

vCash
    Looking forward to his onfield leadership returning!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Rugby is a game for the mentally deficient… That is why it was invented by the British. Who else but an Englishman could invent an oval ball?

vCash
    Ditto to both of the comments above.. McCalman I have to say is a huge relief.. good on both of them They have in our team..so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.. (wink !wink! )

Player
    vCash
    Yes I am also happy to see them both committing to the Force for the foreseeable future. I rank loyalty highly as a character trait. Thank you both.

However, we still need to add a couple of gun players in key positions looking at 2016 and beyond. This year has shown how easily the wheels can fall off it everything isn't ticking over at 100%. We don't seem to have the 1 or 2 players that can just turn a game and take the team with them. Preferable these players should be guys that can unlock the attack. The Force has consistently been one of the lowest points scoring teams forever! We don't want to constantly rely on being a lock down team that negates opponents defensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    Yes I am also happy to see them both committing to the Force for the foreseeable future. I rank loyalty highly as a character trait. Thank you both.

However, we still need to add a couple of gun players in key positions looking at 2016 and beyond. This year has shown how easily the wheels can fall off it everything isn't ticking over at 100%. We don't seem to have the 1 or 2 players that can just turn a game and take the team with them. Preferable these players should be guys that can unlock the attack. The Force has consistently been one of the lowest points scoring teams forever! We don't want to constantly rely on being a lock down team that negates opponents defensively.
    Great news on both signings, and as everyone else has said, a sign of loyalty from both of them. On the above though, maybe we've already got the presonnel and it's an attack coach we're missing (...a good one, at that). Looking at the current coaching staff, you've got Foley who's forwards orientated, and then Wessels and Foote who both seem to have a history of defence coaching.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scozzie View Post
    Great news on both signings, and as everyone else has said, a sign of loyalty from both of them. On the above though, maybe we've already got the presonnel and it's an attack coach we're missing (...a good one, at that). Looking at the current coaching staff, you've got Foley who's forwards orientated, and then Wessels and Foote who both seem to have a history of defence coaching.
    That's probably part of it regarding the attack coach. We seem to have trouble distributing the ball our to our wingers. I think a top quality 10 and 13 would help us and switch Godwin back to playing 12.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's one of the things I would love to discuss with Foles - why he has persisted with Godwin at 13 this season. What is he seeing that we're not?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I would love to see us get a quality 10, to run the backline attacking plays, we were really lacking in that area last week and didn't seem to have enough structure or a plan in attack. I really don't think Sias is giving us the required level of organisation, structure and threat from the backline.

vCash
    From both Alison and Macattack's posts, the answer would appear (I think to many of us) to move Burton to 10 and Godwin to 12 (maybe with Brache at 13 if Rasolea's on an outer). The season's gone, so we should look to build combinations for next year.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    (maybe with Brache at 13 if Rasolea's on an outer)
    I think Junior has been the player most shafted by the failed centre experiment. Junior was developing into a pretty damn good 13 last year, getting his head around the position, understood his role (truck the ball up and try to break the line) and didn't miss too many tackles (not saying defense wasn't an issue, but he was better there than at 12)

In 12 he developed that stupid non-side step (jump in the air 2m from the line, flutter your feet and then run in exactly the same direction you were running) and seems to think he has to be a stepper to play 12. It made him slow, easy to tackle and weak into contact. He didn't threaten the line once and his defense was poor.

I'm not sure whether the switch was following the trend of big 12s in the modern game, but it must be remembered that each of the big 12s in successful teams play their own game.

Inman never kicks and doesn't pass a lot. He isn't a stepper and doesn't try to be, he runs hard and straight tryi to bend the line, often off an inside pass. He is the shining light in Aussie rugby and is certainly a converted 13 who has made the most of the switch.

Nonu has developed a kicking game, but is still a crashballer who usually looks for his breaks on a weak outside shoulder he has also developed an acceptable long pass, making his straighter running more of a weapon for him. The only sidestep I've ever seen him try is of the Maori variety.

I'm trying my best to think of a big 12 who plays well as a stepper/distributor, but can't think of one.....anybody?

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    When in form, maybe Tapuai. We need a reincarnated Scott Staniforth.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    The Badger also played some time at 13 and if he isn't getting service on the wing get him involved. Of course that would free up one wing for Mitch Scott!!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Awesome news. I thought Hodgson would stay but to have the big dog recommit just made my day (although until the ink is on the paper I'm not counting my chickens just yet)

coz Stone Cold says so

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast