Thread: Godwin eyes injury-free year

Champion
    vCash

Godwin eyes injury-free year

Nick Taylor
    January 9, 2015
    The West Australian

When young Western Force centre Kyle Godwin makes his expected Wallabies debut, he will be the first home-grown player to come through the club's academy to reach the peak of Australian rugby.
    But for now Godwin, described by Australian coach Michael Cheika as "a special player", is just hoping for an injury-free Super Rugby season.
    The Wallaby-in-waiting's career has been slowed by several injury speed bumps.
    He was sidelined for the 2011 season with a shoulder injury sustained during pre-season and needed a shoulder reconstruction in 2013 that meant he missed the Wallabies' spring tour.
    Last year, a posterior cruciate ligament injury ruled him out of contention for Australia's 3-0 whitewash of France and the start of the Rugby Championship.
    But after a comeback of just three Perth Spirit matches in the National Rugby Championship, Cheika took Godwin on the Wallabies spring tour.
    He did not play, but the experience whet Godwin's appetite, especially with the World Cup just eight months away.
    The 22-year-old will be looking to regain the form that made him the best tackling back in Super Rugby with 65 hits at a completion rate of more than 90 per cent before his injury against the Cheetahs last May.
    "The (Wallabies) call-up was very surprising. I felt a bit underdone to be honest but if the opportunity is there you are going to take it," Godwin said. "It was an unbelievable experience. I was disappointed that I didn't get on the field but I took a lot out of it.
    "There is a hunger for more but at the moment it's all about training with the Force and our season ahead. Since coming out of school I've had a few disappointing injuries that have put me back a bit. But hopefully I can get through this season injury free."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bring back Longbottom!

meh, he probably wants to play for the Lillywhites.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?