Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homebush has no soul - Lote

vCash

Homebush has no soul - Lote

Homebush has no soul
    By Lote Tuqiri Homebush has no soul | The Daily Telegraph

May 11, 2008 12:00am

NO offence, but I don't like playing at ANZ Stadium in Homebush. The joint just has no atmosphere.

Fans are too far away from the action. If you are a paying customer, you come to see and hear combat and collision. You want to be absorbed by the contest and feel like you're involved in it. At Homebush, the feeling is flat and distant.

As a player, there's nothing better than the adrenaline rush of hearing and seeing a heap of screaming spectators only five or 10 metres away from you.

That's what you get hooked on and part of what makes you want to keep coming back.

I don't mind it when you can actually hear the fans dishing out a little bit of stick, too. It serves as a bit of a rev-up and adds another element to the contest. If I had the choice to play the Waratahs' home matches at the Sydney Football Stadium or out at Homebush, I'd take the SFS every day.

And I reckon so would most of the other union and league players. You look at State of Origin up at Suncorp Stadium in Queensland.

The Maroons just grow an extra leg in front of a sell-out, parochial home crowd and it's partly because the crowd is right on top of you, cheering and feeling every hit.

You look up and the stands are just packed and pumping. It's the same for the Wallabies when we play Bledisloe Cup matches there.

But at ANZ, it's like a neutral venue. In my opinion, the best stadiums are Suncorp in Brisbane and Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Another great venue is Twickenham in England. Kings Park and Newlands in South Africa are also pretty special.

When you run out at these stadiums, the mood is pulsating and electric. When you run out at Homebush, it's just not the same rush.

Sport these days is like theatre, with the athletes playing lead roles. And as an athlete, you want to perform on the biggest and best stages.

The SFS rocks. If you get a full house there, you know you're going to be in for a good night. You can feel it. At Homebush, often the crowds don't even reach capacity.

I understand it's a business decision to play games out at Homebush for rugby union and some of the Sydney NRL clubs.

But to play devil's advocate, what about the fans?

They are the ones who pay their money to see the contest and Homebush just doesn't seem to offer the same trimmings of other grounds.

In Brisbane, before you go to Suncorp, you can go for a beer in Caxton street.

Any sports fan will tell you that's a priceless part of the night. In Sydney, it's the same at the SFS or the SCG.

Sorry, Homebush just doesn't do it for me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    OMG Hell just froze over... I'm sitting here nodding in agreement with everything Lote has to say

vCash
    Swee, I know the feeling hence the post.

vCash
    hmm. i feel the same way.
    i think i need to go have a shower to wash this moment off of me

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Im not a player (hands up all who are shocked )I have never had the opportunity to run out on to ANZ stadium. Well apart from a U2 Concert.

But, I have been there for 7 Bledisloe Cups, 4 2003 Rugby World Cup fixtures and 3 Wallabies Tests and a State of Mungo Orgin, I think I am qualified to comment here.

I have never had a problem with the ANZ stadium as far as distance from the field, nor a lack of atmosphere.

In 1999 me and a mate flew from Darwn to Sydney to watch the first Bledisloe at the newly constructed Stadium Australia, there were 107,042 there that day my friends. No atmosphere problem. and that was with the athletics track around the playing field.

In 2002 for John Eales last test I was up the back of the "temporary" stands about a mile from the action, no atmosphere problem there either.

A crowd makes atmosphere - a full stadium creates its own atmosphere. Whilst Lote may have a problem hearing the fans from his side of the fence - a packed house at ANZ Stadium is still a good place to be.

Last edited by .X.; 12-05-08 at 11:42.

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

vCash
    I didn't know Lote knew how to write.

vCash
    ANZ Stadium is OK... and it's the only option available if 80,000 people want to attend an event in Sydney. But I'd still prefer to go to the SFS any day of the week, which I think is the point being made.

Big ticket matches (Bledisloe, Lions tours etc) will get the fans out and the atmosphere will come with them. I'm not convinced the 40,000 strong crowd for the Wales test match last year could make up for the 40,000 empty seats surrounding them either (not that I was there, so this is conjecture).

Last edited by Swee_82; 12-05-08 at 11:53.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post

In 2002 for John Eales last test I was up the back of the "temporary" stands about a mile from the action, no atmosphere problem there either.
    I know what you mean there X. I was sitting in the same type of seat right behind where Kefu dotted it down that night. There's no problem with Bledisloes, Loins, and other 'marqee' matches. But what Lote's talking about are smaller events - say like having the Waratahs play there. It would be shite. Just look at the NRL matches played there. Even good crowds of 30-40000 still look 'lifeless" in that place.

No question about it - purpose built rectangular stadia are miles in front.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I know what you mean there X. I was sitting in the same type of seat right behind where Kefu dotted it down that night. There's no problem with Bledisloes, Loins, and other 'marqee' matches. But what Lote's talking about are smaller events - say like having the Waratahs play there. It would be shite. Just look at the NRL matches played there. Even good crowds of 30-40000 still look 'lifeless" in that place.

No question about it - purpose built rectangular stadia are miles in front.

I couldnt agree more mate - just look at the mungo bulldog and bunnies games - they are lucky to get 10000 people to their home games at ANZ. If anyone is wondering I am so passionate about getting a rectangular stadium for Perth, this is why.

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

vCash
    I dont know what the distance from the field is at ANZ and i was there recently for the Bulldogs vs Dragons game when i was in Sydney and didn't find the distance from the game to be a problem. The atmosphere could have been better, i don't know what the crowd was like (probably 15,000ISH), but it wasn't shocking. They do know what their doing, before and after the game there BBQ's doing food, places selling drinks and a few pubs around as well.

Don't get me wrong we need a Rectangular stadium for week in week out events but MPS wouldn't be bad for international matches.

vCash
    "homebush has no soul" sounds like a country song i once heard !!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    The SFS rocks. If you get a full house there, you know you're going to be in for a good night. You can feel it. At Homebush, often the crowds don't even reach capacity.
    Lote wouldn't know what the SFS was like filled to capacity.....the Tahs haven't had a sell-out there in years. The nearest time was last year when the were robbed of a well-deserved win, ably supported by an intrepid band of traveling Inners.

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I dont know what the distance from the field is at ANZ and i was there recently for the Bulldogs vs Dragons game when i was in Sydney and didn't find the distance from the game to be a problem. The atmosphere could have been better, i don't know what the crowd was like (probably 15,000ISH), but it wasn't shocking. They do know what their doing, before and after the game there BBQ's doing food, places selling drinks and a few pubs around as well.

Don't get me wrong we need a Rectangular stadium for week in week out events but MPS wouldn't be bad for international matches.
    Jargan - it was a game of mungo-ball......paint drying would have more atmosphere & entertainment value!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't understand why when there are fixtures with low crowd numbers in large stadia they don't just limit the crowd to certain areas.
    Must mungo matches you could fit the full crowd along the sideline but they let them spread out all over the place so there no chance there ever being any atmosphere.
    Likewise at Subiaco at the moment, the Force should take out the top tier of each end and only open a section if there are too many walk up punters buying at the gate.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I don't understand why when there are fixtures with low crowd numbers in large stadia they don't just limit the crowd to certain areas.
    Must mungo matches you could fit the full crowd along the sideline but they let them spread out all over the place so there no chance there ever being any atmosphere.
    Likewise at Subiaco at the moment, the Force should take out the top tier of each end and only open a section if there are too many walk up punters buying at the gate.
    They used to do that at Soccer games up north, not a good idea because, as has been shown in a few cases up north it can lead to terrible accidents with many people dead through crushing etc. Although seating areas break the risk down it is still not a good thing to try....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    I didn't know Lote knew how to write.
    Ohh he didn't he just dictated it to Mr. Squiggle who pencilled it in for him. Thats why if you turn Lote's article upside down you can see a sail-boat. Upside-down. Upside-down.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast