Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Report on Stateline last week

vCash

Stadium Report on Stateline last week

Apparently Stateline ran a story on the new stadium last week. Sounds like a decently researched story- they have spoken with Langoulant, Fong, Greg Harris and some guys from the Glory and Football West.

Looks like it was a pretty short piece, not too much detail, but better than the usual treatment of asking Neale Fong what he reckons and taking that as gospel.

Transcript

Interesting quotes:
    On Rugby...

CLAIRE MOODIE: But not everyone is convinced. The Western Force don't see themselves as tenants of a new stadium or a redeveloped Subiaco Oval.

Since the Force began competing in the Super 14 competition three years ago, its attendances at Subiaco have dropped by 20 per cent a year.

GREG HARRIS, RUGBY WA: The game is not presented in the right venue for people to feel a part of the game. They're too far away from the action.

CLAIRE MOODIE: This is where Western Force sees its future. Together with Perth Glory and rugby league, it's fine tuning a proposal to the State Government, a redevelopment the former government made clear it wouldn't support without a better business case.
    GREG HARRIS: There's no doubt that there would be times when rugby could be played at a new much, much larger venue but on the whole we do need something which is more appropriate for our game.

On Control

CLAIRE MOODIE: What's clear is that there's still general concern over how a new multipurpose stadium would be controlled, despite a recommendation by the taskforce that it be managed by an independent trust.

SCOTT GOOCH: I think one of the biggest problems there is that it's all about the AFL. And what we do need to recognise is there are other football codes. At this point in time it seems that a multi-purpose venue is being built for the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers.

And the usual shite from Fong:

CLAIRE MOODIE: Under growing pressure to increase its capacity, the Football Commission says it would prefer a new stadium rather than a rebuild of Subiaco Oval but it's main priority is to protect the code's financial future.

NEALE FONG, WA FOOTBALL COMMISSION: Obviously football wants to make sure it gets the very best deal and no lesser deal than it currently has here at Subiaco in terms of the priority of access and access to the income streams that come from this stadium. So that is what it's looking for.

And for anyone who's a bit blase on the stadium thing, here's a thinker:

And while everyone agrees hospitals should have priority in today's uncertain economic times, doing nothing doesn't seem to be an option either.

GREG HARRIS: Our current trends if they were to continue, there's a logical conclusion: that if we don't have the support of the rugby community and the broader Western Australian community, then you'd hate to think that it would end up with the same fate as Western Reds.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i saw that piece on friday night it was very interesting.
    Neale Fong looked like a real dick with this statment

NEALE FONG, WA FOOTBALL COMMISSION: Obviously football wants to make sure it gets the very best deal and no lesser deal than it currently has here at Subiaco in terms of the priority of access and access to the income streams that come from this stadium. So that is what it's looking for
    Very arrogant to expect the government to prop up the biggest sprots earner in the state forever and a day

but i loved Greg Harris's Statments and the fact is everyone else interveiwed in the article seemed to have the same underlying resentment for the GayFL and there "Demands".

<>

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's not to Rugby's benefit at all, I agree, but I would think that Fong is 100% in his position and if you only followed footy then that would be the position you would demand of him to take.
    It would certainly be the position of RWA if the roles were reversed.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    It's not to Rugby's benefit at all, I agree, but I would think that Fong is 100% in his position and if you only followed footy then that would be the position you would demand of him to take.
    It would certainly be the position of RWA if the roles were reversed.
    True, But it was the absolute arrogance of the man and the aire of DGAF he sported to the mere thought of any other code benefiting from a government funded infrastructure project that acctually made me laugh. Not a suprised laugh but one of recognition of there attitude.

<>

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Have our attendances droppped by 20% per year or just membership?

vCash
    attendances were definately well down this year, apart from that you would have to think it was just memberships that were dropping

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Burgs will pull out a spreadsheet for sure..

vCash
    neal fong wants to have his cake and eat it, he should stick to the 99 year deal the WAFL struck to remain at sub standard subi.....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=18968

But basically

Averages

Years:
    2006: 28,424
    2007: 27,529
    2008: 22,931

Would one of the younguns apply %? But doesnt look like 20% per year to me?

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 10-12-08 at 16:29.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Attendance figures are in the results tables http://twf.com.au/super14tables.php?mode=results

Bring up the year you want, then search for "Attendance"

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    06-07 Drop 3.2%
    07-08 Drop 16.7%

Combined with (most likely) falling membership renewals again, RWA modelling might suggest they're looking at another lean year. Either way the drop this year is pretty painful

Note: since that was in the voice over, for all we know Greg said memberships but it got translated to attendences.

vCash
    I may be a pessimist, but 16.7% is close enough to 20% for me to be shitting myself about the future of the team!

Everybody needs to make sure they get people along to the game this year. The organisation won't be able to sustain much more of a drop in attendances.....surely!

(to explain the magnitude of the drop this year, possibly the early loss of a possible finals berth had an effect)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I know some people have signed up again this year. They were members for the first year, left after that year because of Spewbi and have now re-signed.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have spoken to some people who have been members since the start but thought that Subi was never going to get done and didnt bother re-newing.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    "Stadium stall may close World Cup potential

Western Australia's stalling over a new stadium in Perth could be one of the main sticking points in Australia's potential bid for the 2018 Soccer World Cup.

That is the view of one of the country's leading experts in sports marketing, as billionaire Football Federation Australia (FFA) chairman Frank Lowy and the federal government plan their assault on bringing the global soccer circus to Australia - and the state government still consider their position on the upgrade to Subiaco."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/stad...1210-6vqv.html

Great to see this is getting some attention

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast