Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is McDonalds that bad?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Is McDonalds that bad?

From another thread , and becuase I dont wont to clutter up news about a Force charity I ask the question, is McDonalds that bad or are we believeing all the media spew forth about it?

I saw an interesting program on Fox recently where 19yo twins were put on diets of exclusively McDonalds and the other from the "Organically" grown, Duchy Originals line of food produced by Prince Charles.

The results were astounding.

The girl on the so called good food had to be taken off the diet after 1 week becuase all her blood stuff was rising dangerously.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 06-11-08 at 14:22.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hypocrite Prince Charles' own brand food unhealthier than Big Macsby SEAN POULTER
    Last updated at 22:00 27 February 2007

Comments (2) Add to My Stories
    Prince Charles' criticism of McDonald's leaves him open to allegations of hypocrisy.
    For the prince's own Duchy Originals brand lends its name to a vast range of indulgent foods, which are high in unhealthy ingredients, including the original fast food - the Cornish Pasty.
    • McDonald's reacts to royal ban call

The Duchy Originals Cornish Pasty carries more calories, fat and salt on a gram for gram basis than a Big Mac, which is the signature product of the McDonald's chain.
    The pasty carries 264 calories per 100g, which is considerably more than the 229 per 100g of the Big Mac.
    Similarly, the fat in the Cornish pasty, which is made from beef, potato, swede, onion and pastry, is put at 13.6g per 100g, which is also higher than the 11.12g in the Big Mac.
    The same pattern is seen with saturated fat at 5.5g in the pasty versus 4.17g in the Big Mac.
    The salt level in the pasty is considerably higher at 1.25g versus 0.93g.
    It is clear that the Duchy Originals brand meets the very highest organic standards, however it also supports a number of treat foods that it would be unwise to eat every day.
    The company is currently advertising organic chocolates for Mother's Day, and Easter Treats, such as chocolate thins.
    Central to the range are biscuits, traditional desserts, sugary jams and preserves
    The brand is best known for its indulgent biscuits, including Dark Chocolate Ginger versions and one which is Milk Chocolate and Coconut.
    There is a range of desserts that, in terms of calories, would match anything that McDonald's has to offer.
    These include a 500g treacle tart, a selection of miniature jam tarts and a large chocolate tart.
    The Duchy Originals Treacle tart contains 393 calories per 100g, while the McDonald's Dairy Milk McFlurry contains a relatively modest 173.
    A medium portion of fries from McDonald's contains 298 calories per 100g, again this is considerably less than the 464 per 100g contained in the Duchy Original Organic Hand Cooked Vegetable Crisps.
    The Prince has long been a supporter of healthy living and is a keen advocate of organic food.
    In 1986, he set up a farm on his Highgrove Estate that does not use artificial pesticides or fertilisers.
    Four years later, he established Duchy Originals - a business to market organic produce on a profits-for-charity basis.
    Duchy Originals has gone on to flourish, earning the Prince £14 million in annual net surplus last year which is used to cover the cost of his public and private life.

Hypocrite Prince Charles' own brand food unhealthier than Big Macs | Mail Online

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I love their cheesburgers (minus the pickle) but refuse to eat anything else.. hwoever I do think they have their hearts in the right place with the charity thing...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I've always preferred Hungry Jacks.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I do not recommend/sell/distribute or necessarily consume these or any other products.......

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tooheys?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    It doesn't have to be...

vCash
    nothing beats a Double Quarter pounder at 2am after a night out on the booze

Last edited by jargan83; 07-11-08 at 08:02. Reason: i spell like a drunk person as well

vCash
    Figure they're no better or worse than any of their competitors- at least from a consumer level.

There's no shortage of business that don't exploit their junior employee base.
    My sister and cousin worked for Tricon (KFC/Pizza Hut Taco Bell) as thier school jobs and didn't hear anything worse from them than anyone I knew that worked at Maccas. Worst HSE incident among kids I knew occured at a KFC (boiling oil).

Their food is no worse than anyone elses, and since the crap rained down on em in the supersize me days, there are a few (albeit $$$) alternatives.

A company that size is able to influence some pressure on price on their suppliers, which would work it's way back to the farm gate, but compared to Woolworths and Coles, is it that great?

Of course there's alot of commerical motivation for thier support of Ronald McDonald house- but would life for the families who have to use thier services be better or worse without it? It's a bit 'ends justifies the means' but it's not like the 'means' is some unspeakable evil, It's selling burgers.

Basically I'm saying they're not bastions of sweetness and light in a dark, tortured world, but given all the things I might want to worry about, Maccas isn't one of them.

vCash
    I used to get the worst hangovers - always used to have a burger (either HJ's or McD's) after the drinking and be really sick the next day. Then I stopped having the burgers and stopped having hangovers (as bad anyway) too!
    The only thing I eat is the occasional brekkie muffin now!

But them supporting a charity is a good thing - for me it's what the families get out of it that counts - not who actually backs it.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Being a recipient of Ronald McDonald House's services, I can honestly say it doesn't matter a cracker where the money comes from as long as the doors stay open.

Yes we all eat big macs on McHappy day it's a fun way for the kids to think they're doing something to help......more important though is the little change boxes they have on the counter.....next time you have a mac attack after a hard night, chuck a couple of bucks in there!

C'mon the

vCash
    i fully support any charity working to help out sick kids and there families

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    nothing beats a Double Quarter punder at 2am after a night out on the booze
    nothing beats a double quarter pounder with bacon full stop.

except maybe the limited-edition seasoned avocado double quarter pounder with bacon.

I saw a mate once order and eat a pounder: bread cheese meat cheese meat cheese meat cheese meat cheese sauce onions pickle bread.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by innocent quokka View Post
    I saw a mate once order and eat a pounder: bread cheese meat cheese meat cheese meat cheese meat cheese sauce onions pickle bread.
    That's just an entrée for Burgs

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast