Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: COACH MITCHELL RE GITZ TRANSFER

vCash

Exclamation COACH MITCHELL RE GITZ TRANSFER

It has been reported on Fox Sports site:

"Western Force coach John Mitchell says the club will attempt to "buy the best in the world" to strengthen their Super 14 playing roster for beyond the 2009 season."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Western Force coach John Mitchell to seek a quality replacement for Giteau

By Justin Chadwick

February 24, 2009 Western Force coach John Mitchell says the club will attempt to "buy the best in the world" to strengthen their Super 14 playing roster for beyond the 2009 season.

Matt Giteau's exit from the Force at the end of the season could spark a player exodus from the Perth-based club, with Wallabies duo Drew Mitchell and James O'Connor already contemplating a move east.

John Mitchell, intent on showing the club could still attract the best players in the world, declared the Force would scour the globe in search of a high-profile replacement for Giteau.

Mitchell said 18-year-old O'Connor would be a future star at fly half but needed more time at inside centre to develop his game.

“James is going to be a very good player,” Mitchell said on Tuesday.

“He can play three positions but he's very young and needs to gain experience and the best way to gain experience is by playing but also being surrounded by a person who does have experience and that’s a solution to arrive at.

“Most of the players that have become great fly halfs in the world, like Dan Carter and Matt, started their careers at 12 and moved into 10.

“It gives them time and space, and also allows them to give voice to their fly half and also for them to see opportunities to present themselves.

“So I see in time, as he develops that plus his kicking game, that he can become a very good fly half.

“In terms of our capability, we've still got a great opportunity to develop players and we've got a chance to now buy the best in the world.

“There are people that we are looking at in Australia and also (internationally) through the foreign policy marquee player concept that the ARU have provided.”

Force received a dose of good news on Tuesday when emerging flanker Sam Wykes agreed to a new two-year contract.

The 20-year-old, who is expected to be available for selection within a month after undergoing shoulder surgery last year, said he was happy to stay at the Force despite Giteau's departure.

“He's an awesome player and an awesome guy off the field but if I wasn't happy I wouldn't have signed for two years, so I'm very happy to stay,'' Wykes said.

“Matt's obviously a marquee player where people want to come play with him, but you've got guys like James O'Connor who are coming through and people will definitely want to play with him ... I reckon people might stay around.”

Mitchell said Giteau would play out the season in the No.10 jersey.

“Right at this moment we've got to utilise the best fly half in the world ... we've got to maximise the strengths that he provides us,” Mitchell said.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    “He can play three positions but he's very young and needs to gain experience and the best way to gain experience is by playing but also being surrounded by a person who does have experience and that’s a solution to arrive at.
    Bend over Gits

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Champion
    vCash
    First 5/8 let me see who's available????? Maybe a yarpie?? Or pOMMY jOHNNY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Mitchell said Giteau would play out the season in the No.10 jersey.
    I don't like it.

You can't buy a team... I think he should play James/Daruda with Giteau outside them. And I don't care if we finish 14th for 5 years, but I don't want to buy players again. Look where it's got us, buying Gits and Drew.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Champion
    vCash
    Yeh i agree with u Robyn but rugby is professional!!! sad that some local talent just wont get a look in. I feel for someone like Chris OY (not local I know but) he must feel like a stop gap player I rate him highly

vCash
    Gits should play at twelve, which is his best position, for the rest of the season with JoC at 10.

Just think about it for a minute or two !

The last match at Subi v Cheetahs was a shambles. The forwards did well, winning set piece and tackle ball but the backs were ineffective. Because they're focussed on one guy making the play. So to paraphrase "if it's bust fix it".

Gits is not a fly half. He's an inside centre. He's only a fly half for the Wobblies because there was no one else who was anywhere near being up to the job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    First 5/8 let me see who's available????? Maybe a yarpie?? Or pOMMY jOHNNY
    you are joking right? the only thing that guy can do is kick balls and get injured!!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    At last a positive Forceful statement from someone at the Force. Irrespective of what comes of it, good on Mitch for making a forceful statement, after all the depondency of the past few days.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Rookie
    vCash
    I agree with those people that think Gits should be shifted to 12 (or maybe we should even leave him to play off the bench.) Lets start thinking to the future now and play JOC or Daruda at 10, aren't both out of contract at the end of the season and perhaps giving both substantial game time will help keep them in the West, play JOC at 12 and Daruda at 10. After seeing the stats from the weekend games the Force went through more than 7 phases of play only 3 times. The Brumbies went at least 6. Seems that a lot of the 10's in the super 14 comp have more patenice than Gits at 10. Even watching the game back on TV - it was interesting to hear the commentator say that he must have got bored with no where to go after 6 phases of play and what did he do kick it!!!. Shame he can't seem to take the lead of a lot of 10's and keep going phase after phase after phase, with the ball in hand till they find the opening. Good luck to the Brumbies next year. Also is Drew Mitchell incapable of making up his own mind about what to do or does he follow people around like a lost sheep. Maybe he could learn even more by not having Gits around him. Ah well be good to save the money on there salaries.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by domattw
    Also is Drew Mitchell incapable of making up his own mind about what to do or does he follow people around like a lost sheep.
    No one, himself included, has said what he is doing next year. Why is there so much pressure on them to make their mind up now. Gits' announcement didn't go down well because he announced it 2 weeks in to the season and now people are calling for Drew and JO'C to make a decision now. Why can't they wait until the end of the season like it seems everyone else has been given the allowance to do? Just let them get on with job and play the rugby they are paid to play.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Daruda is here for this year and next.

I have the feeling Mitch is going to try and pick up Carlos Spencer. He's been floating around a lot recently and despite the fact I think he's over the hill he could pass on a lot to Daruda and O'Connor.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Watch for the intercept.

vCash
    laura he wont.... he'll do it just as Gits has done in a professional manner as not to upset the team or the supporters... which is good... and the right thing to do...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Watch for the intercept.
    Gerry… Giteau is good to his word… he’ll compete to win for the Force... spreading cynicism will only upset the natives…why?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast