Thread: Growden the Wordsmith

vCash

Growden the Wordsmith

We always knew he was a complete Dick. But hows this for brilliance?

Spent Force on slide

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...575681714.html

FFS!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What was the problem with this one? Is it factually incorrect?

Is anyone prepared to disagree with what was written?

THE Western Force's disastrous road trip
    Leaking 117 points in two games? I'd agree there.

a match which could end their Super 14 finals aspirations
    Most definitely.

glaring weaknesses, especially in their in-close defensive structure, have been exposed the past two weekends, with a 53-0 thrashing by the Crusaders followed by a 64-36 loss to the Chiefs in Hamilton on Saturday.
    Surely there would be no arguments here? How else would you let in so many tries?

These two big defeats have pushed the Force well down the ladder
    7th I think, but still in contention.

particular the back row's inability to stop opponents from sniping from the tackle base.
    Without Henjak and when O'Young went off, this was certainly true of the rest of the defense.

The glaring statistic that the Force missed 20 tackles
    Something I've seen other teams I like who are struggling guilty of.

The Force's other big problem is overcoming the doubts that must exist after having 117 points scored against them in just two rounds
    It's naive to think it wouldn't be affecting them.

Admittedly, the Force will not be giving up as they probably have the easier draw going into the finals.
    I'd say so too, marginally.

It will be tight, but first the Force must learn how to stop numerous tries being scored against them.
    Yup, they scored enough points last week to win.

Not a big fan of Growden but I'm not sure if you read it or just saw his name and posted the thread, or are just bitter and angry after the loss.

...and if it's just the headline bothering you, I feel we've been through this and decided that it's rarely the journo who titles the article.

Last edited by Sagerian; 16-04-07 at 06:03.

vCash
    I just read the article, and it is pretty accurate, no complaints from me, except perhaps the title, although it also appears relatively accurate...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    people need to be less defensive about the Force and a little more open to constructive criticism - that is a well written article!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Pick your arguments people!! After two drubbings like that the Force are entitled to be ragged in the press - it is a journo's job to be critical and Growdens points are spot on. What do you expect Shasta we go back to primary school days where as long as you participate you get recognition? These guys are professionals and need critisism when not performing at their best, which I am sure you will agree.
    Sure the tone of the article may seem anti-force but in reality rugby writers this year have been anti-Australian rubgy, good to see Growden going after NSW and QLD this week too...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blutackey
    Pick your arguments people!! A

What do you expect Shasta we go back to primary school days where as long as you participate you get recognition?
    These guys are professionals and need critisism when not performing at their best, which I am sure you will agree.

good to see Growden going after NSW and QLD this week too...
    Well I guess I should have been clearer as to what had got a flea in my ear. It was that headline. It is so cliched that a third grader would be marked down for using it. I quoted it in size4 text for that reason. But the web can be a hard place to get your intent across unless you are very specific, I guess.

If Sage is right and the journo rarely writes the headline I'll take back sarcastically calling him A "wordsmith". But he's an arse IMO no matter.

I know journalists have a job to do but there are very few I've seen who are as vindictive as this bloke. This opinion was forged not by what he's written about The Force now nor in the past as until just recently he's really not had reason to do lay into them too much. I'm not that sensitive anyway.

In this case nothing he wrote about The Force was inaccurate. If I'd wanted to criticise the content I'd have done that.

Last edited by shasta; 17-04-07 at 09:56.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Sorry didn't quite get it Shasta thanks for explaining the reasons.
    I can guarantee Growden didn't write the headline, it is always left to a sub-editor because after the copy is written, it is laid out in a newspaper page somewhere, only after the layout is finalised is a headline inserted into the appropriate space. By the time the layout is done, Growden is already onto his next brilliantly written column!
    I agree, I don't like the bloke either but there are beter examples to use than this article, like you said.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Still, there would be nothing like a win against the Brumbies to SHUT HIM UP !!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blutackey
    By the time the layout is done, Growden is already onto his next brilliantly written column!
    If by column you mean pie then the evidence is quite clear.. it's always good to put a gut to a name, so here's a pic of the man in question

vCash
    He's the one on the right btw...

vCash
    And he wasright insaying that many Aussie teams lose their way on the south island...We did!

C'mon the