Thread: Pretorius hands role to Bartholomeusz

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pretorius hands role to Bartholomeusz

Pretorius hands role to Bartholomeusz

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian February 6, 2010, 1:56 pm

Mal Fairclough ©

Injured Western Force star Andre Pretorius has anointed Mark Bartholomeusz as his successor in the No 10 jumper.

Pretorius tore the left hamstring from the bone this week ending his season at the Force before it had even started.

The former Springbok fly-half and Force marquee signing said: "I'd go with Mark Bartholomeusz just basically and purely because we've gone through everything together.

"His knowledge of the game and his knowledge of our strategy and game plan is so good and the way he comes across in team meetings he really conveys messages well.

"I reckon Barty will do fine there."

Force rugby manager Mitch Hardy also backed Bartholomeusz.

"Mark Bartholomeusz has prepared with the team all the way through pre-season and through our trial period in that No 10 position and played very well last night (in the trial against the Queensland Reds).

"He's our first and foremost choice at 10 now.

"Sam Harris can slot in there, and then we have the young up and coming players like Stefano (Hunt)."

He said James O'Connor may also be used at fly-half.

Hardy said the club would be assessing all its option before making a decision on signing another player, however he said: "You certainly can't do it with one-and-a-half No.10's running around.

"Obviously there's some work to do in relation to whether or not we go elsewhere and try and find another player.

"At this point in time there's nothing in Australia because everybody's committed to Australian franchises.

"However the Japanese season finishing up in the next few weeks and the Heineken Cup coming to a finish, there may be opportunities to bring in another player should we decide to do so."

One name in the mix could be Force foundation member James Hilgendorf who has had an exceptional season in Japan.

"We've got to assess where we're after round three," Hardy said. (The Force have a bye in round four). We've got to use the players that we've got in the roster at the moment, have faith in their ability and in their performance.

"In the meantime we'll come up with some strategies which will help us get through."
    Pretorius has predicted a good season for the Force.
    enjoyed seeing the work ethic of really experienced guys and if that's anything to go by then this will be a successful Super 14 for us."

Pretorius said it was disappointing not to be able to play for the Force in Super 14 but he has committed to staying in Perth for the length of his contract
    "I'm definitely going to stay here," he said. "I've been committed from the start to the Force and I'd like to end it like that.

"I'll probably get involved with some of the youngsters maybe with the academy.
    I'll definitely be involved with strategy with the senior team.

"I'd like to stay involved for the time that I've been contracted."
    He said he had had two days to "mope around" after the injury.

"The injury happened in a very freakish way, like most of my injuries have," he said. "I was in a jackal type position trying to accelerate.

"It was nervy pain. In normal hamstring strains you feel it actually pinches you like a sniper shooting out of the stands.

"This was more like a nervy pain. I had no power in the leg."

He had been optimistic about the injury and medical staff at the Force asked for several opinions but all came up with the same opinion. His season was over.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...bartholomeusz/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Force need to deliver winning culture

The West Australian February 6, 2010, 12:39 pm

When the curtain came down on last season and the exodus began, there was much talk among the hierarchy at Perry Lakes about having players who "wanted to be at the Western Force".
    The parade of players heading for the departure terminal at Perth airport was led by Wallabies fly-half Matt Giteau followed by winger Drew Mitchell and scrum-half Josh Valentine.
    Others who have moved on include Tai McIsaac, Scott Staniforth, Gareth Hardy, Junior Pelesasa, Tamati Horua, David Pusey and AJ Whalley, and the big question being asked was how much those departures, Giteau in particular, would hurt the Force.
    In the ensuing months, the Force went quietly about recruitment and it was the arrivals lounge that became the centre of attention, with the signing of former Springbok playmaker Andre Pretorius.
    But the club was dealt a massive blow when he was ruled out for the season after tearing his left hamstring from the bone at training on Wednesday.
    However, his signature did spark the re-signing of teen sensation James O'Connor. Others to arrive were scrum-half Brett Sheehan and props Matt Dunning, Nic Henderson and Tim Fairbrother to mention a few.
    The season will open with a bundle of new players, new coaches, a new stadium, new jumpers, a new chief executive and, it seems, a new attitude.
    Certainly, everyone seems to be getting on. They have all been saying the right things in public and there has not been the disruption of last year's pre-season when an independent inquiry was launched into complaints about coach John Mitchell's style.
    Mitchell will be under pressure of a different kind this year as the demand for success builds. Failure could see the board taking a hard look at the final year of his contract.
    He has quality players at his disposal but there are questions over depth - 14 players have no Super rugby experience. In past seasons the Force have not strung together too many consistent 80-minute performances but if key players can find consistency and escape a serious injury crisis they may surprise as the dark horse of the competition.
    Mitchell will be looking to his Wallabies and older heads such as Nathan Sharpe to lead the way in a side that has fine individual ingredients in the likes of David Pocock with his massive work rate and scavenging ability, O'Connor who can set a game alight with his dazzling skills, and Ryan Cross and Cameron Shepherd with their powerful running.
    The much-improved front row has more grunt with Dunning, Fairbrother and Henderson joining Pek Cowan and Kieran Longbottom.
    Mitchell expects dominance up front though the retirement of Wallabies hooker McIsaac has left a big hole with little experience in the centre of the front row.
    Australia A schoolboy Ben Whittaker, 20, and Rockingham product Ryan Tyrrell are his only recognised hookers although Cowan has become an option. Accuracy at the line-out could be a big weakness.
    There are strong stocks in an all-Australian back row of Pocock, Richard Brown and Matt Hodgson. It may not be the biggest set of ball runners in Super 14 but all have huge work rates and are particularly effective at the breakdown. Sam Wykes and Tom Hockings have been pushing hard to be first-choice partner to their captain Sharpe in the second row.
    Sheehan and Chris O'Young are different types of scrum-half.
    Sheehan is more aggressive around the rucks but whoever gets the nod it is absolutely crucial that they develop a good relationship with whoever takes Pretorius' place.
    Mark Bartholomeusz, who was likely to have been a bench player covering 10 and 15, is one who is likely to be elevated to the run-on side with former Waratahs utility back and journeyman Sam Harris, a straight-running centre with subtle skills another option.
    But Mitchell might spring a surprise and throw young O'Connor into the deep end to take the playmaker's responsibilities.
    O'Connor will supply some sparkle wherever he plays. Inside centre or full-back are his preferred positions but since the Pretorius disaster anything could change.
    If he starts at centre, Cross will join him in the first-up centre combination with Cameron Shepherd at full-back. If he wears the No. 15, it will push Shepherd to the wing. Haig Sare, if fit, is likely to slot on to one wing and if Shepherd starts at 15 the second wing spot will be wide open. Dane Haylett-Petty and Josh Tatupu are raring to show their skills. Nick Cummins will be snapping at their heels once he regains fitness.
    If the Force are going to fulfil promised potential, it has to start at 7.05pm next Friday at ME Bank Stadium - and, importantly, keep winning at its new home.
    At Subiaco Oval, probably the worst "rugby" ground in the world, the Force won only 11 of their 26 games in four years. They won only nine away games in the same period.
    Despite their best effort, fans could never really add the intimidating factor of a home crowd.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...nning-culture/

vCash
    i thought mark bartholomeuz played a pretty fine game against the reds. his decision making and kicking in general play where all anyone could have asked for IMO.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    FROM RUGBYWA HQ

OPTIONS AT 10

The versatility of the Emirates Western Force squad will be called upon from round one with several candidates being considered to help fill the gap left by a season ending injury to fly-half Andre Pretorius.

Capped Wallaby Mark Bartholomeusz will be first choice and proved he is more than capable of shouldering the responsibilities after an excellent performance against the Queensland Reds in the club’s final trial match on Friday night. He won’t be alone however with several players able to assist in the role.

Emirates Western Force General Manager of Rugby, Mitch Hardy, said the club would look to the players already assembled to initially fill the fly-half position however the door remained open to recruit another playmaker if necessary.

“There is some work to do to determine if we go elsewhere and try and find another player,” Hardy said.

“At this point in time there is no one in Australia as everyone is committed to Australian franchises. The Japanese season is finishing up in the next few weeks and the Heineken Cup is coming to a close so there may be an opportunity to bring in another player should we decide to do so.

“Mark Bartholomeusz has prepared with the team all the way through the pre-season and trial period in that number 10 position and played very well on Friday night. He is our first and foremost choice at 10 now.

“Sam Harris can slot in there and did so in the trials, and then we have the young up and coming players like Stefano (Hunt).

“You’d like to start the season with all the players fit and ready to go and you certainly don’t bank on a season ending injury like Andre’s happening a week before the start of the season.

“We’ve got to assess where we’re at after round three really, use the players we have in our roster at the moment and have faith in their ability and performance.”

Bartholomeusz, a versatile back who returned to Australia this season after a successful six years playing overseas, was also supported to start at 10 by team mate Pretorius.

“I’d go with Mark Bartholomeusz because we have gone through everything together and his knowledge of the game and knowledge of our strategy and game plan is so good,” Pretorius said.

“The way he comes across in team meetings and so on, he really conveys messages well and I reckon Barty will be fine there.”

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!