Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foley tells Force to dig in for the season

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Foley tells Force to dig in for the season

Nick Taylor
    March 30, 2015, 8:10 am

Western Force coach Michael Foley says his players have little option but to dig in and stay the course after slumping to a sixth successive loss on Saturday night.

The Force’s two-match South African tour ended with the under-strength Sharks rallying from a half-time deficit to prevail 15-9.

Foley said he was left feeling empty in the aftermath of the defeat, but remained adamant there were good times ahead.

The Force’s plight is a far cry from the second half of last season when they rallied strongly to flirt with a maiden finals appearance. Their 1-6 record effectively leaves the club in the same position it was in Foley’s first season at the helm, but the third-year coach said there would be no finger-pointing.

“You’ve got choices now,” Foley said.

“You can lift your head and keep fighting or say it’s not worth the effort. It’s that simple.

“The first seven games were always going to be difficult. We’ve made it more difficult for ourselves than we should have.

“The tougher it gets, the more we should pull together.

“We’ve got nine games to go and there are a lot of opportunities in those nine games.

“If you want to carry baggage from the first seven then we’ll lose those opportunities.

“If you want to learn lessons then we’ll take more of those opportunities.

“Sometimes you have to persist. It’s very easy to change course to solve problems.

“You get into difficulty with a team and it’s very easy for a coach or players or anybody to blame each other.

“We have to keep the team believing.

“The reality is we’re not changing the players and nor do I want to. Often you have to persist to improve the things that are letting you down to get the game across the line.

“You can try and revolutionise things — all that does is start again and create confusion.”

Not helped by a seemingly straightforward try from Ben McCalman being disallowed, the Force didn’t help themselves.

A shocking penalty miss by Sias Ebersohn in the second half cost them the chance to take a one-point lead.

Instead, two minutes later, Sharks winger Lwazi Mvovo scored a breakout converted try for a 10-point turnaround.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...or-the-season/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good comments from foles. He has a plan & I'm happy to let him try and achieve it

vCash
    This team should put everything behind them and play for themselves and the Sea of Blue. We may not have any hope of the finals but if we can correct the errors during the game and play some good footy I will be more than happy. I can support a team that tries as hard as it can, and I believe that we have the battlers to do this.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    OK, I'm prepared to accept his statements on that. The team isn't changing regardless of who calls for it. that means a couple of things which are relevant to all on here (myself included)

Sam is captain until Hodgo gets back, deal with it (talking to myself as much as anyone here)
    Sias will play the games where kicking is a focus, Zack will get some starts as well
    Marcel and Mozza will be fighting for a wing spot now that Dane is back.
    Coleman, Mafi and Cotterell will be fighting for the 5&6 jerseys
    The front row will stay the same.

If there are any other consistent gripes which I've missed, extrapolate the general feeling which I've tried to express here to those.

I said last year I trust the coach.......looking back at the last couple of weeks that was pretty short lived on my part wasn't it. It's time to consider that maybe Foles knows more about rugby than I do and maybe this season is about to turn around.

(I liked the bit about not running away from the challenge, that's the way I think rugby SHOULD be played)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    As I said on the night, finals are no consideration now so that weight is removed. They can now just focus on the game itself, and should look ahead to future players. Within the team though, I think they should be particularly working on basic handling skills in contact situations. I see it as a bit self-fulfilling - the somewhat hit-and-miss nature of passing and catching is creating nervousness close to the line as the players subconsciously panic about scoring before someone drops it or knocks on, which results in the pushing the throw or snatching at the ball. They have to get to the point where the mechanics are automatic, and only the players can make that happen. Similarly with the kicking, especially for goal. Only relentless practice can make that right and I'm a little surprised that it has been so bad for so long with all our kickers without someone stepping up.

I really do worry about what the attendances will be like now though, for a team that was already posting a loss last year...

vCash
    Great speech, wholeheartedly agree, the team is allowing themselves to go back to the dark days in attitude when this is the time they really need to pull together and trust themselves. I don't know if anyone else notices but at the last gasp all of a sudden they start to fire eg nearly getting those 2 tries in the last 5 minutes. I mean they were able to pull that together at the last- that spirit seems to have been somewhat missing the other 70 minutes. Why not play like that the whole game not at the end? That's what shits me more than anything- it's not that they can't do it. But the kicking away has to stop Foley - please listen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I really do worry about what the attendances will be like now though, for a team that was already posting a loss last year...
    Attendances are already down for all and sundry, Waratahs with a flag behind them and potentially in the biggest rugby playing state have only just hit 20K members.

I attended the rally in 2006 to bring Super rugby to Perth and have been a member since inception.

I will continue as I am sure many others on this forum and others that are not, to attend matches and get behind the Force irrespective of the results for the following reasons:

1) I love rugby and there is nothing to beat a "live" game.
    2) The aim of the Force was to create a pathway for WA youngsters to Super rugby, which it has done and continues to do
    3) The aim of the Force is to earn respect despite no level playing field which it continues to do
    4) Above all else, our players continue to put their bodies on the line and give it their all against stronger, bigger, faster, and more skilful opponents.

I began this journey in 2006 and long may it continue.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    There's certainly been no lack of effort in the last couple of weeks, and hopefully the players will take the first choice being suggested by Foley and lift their heads and keep fighting. Every week you look at a team like the Lions, with only a couple of Internationals in their team, and you see the results they're getting by just playing for each other and battling for everything - a bit like we did last year. No reason why we can't get that spirit back, we just need a couple of wins under our belt to get the momentum shifted.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Attendances are already down for all and sundry, Waratahs with a flag behind them and potentially in the biggest rugby playing state have only just hit 20K members.

I attended the rally in 2006 to bring Super rugby to Perth and have been a member since inception.

I will continue as I am sure many others on this forum and others that are not, to attend matches and get behind the Force irrespective of the results for the following reasons:

1) I love rugby and there is nothing to beat a "live" game.
    2) The aim of the Force was to create a pathway for WA youngsters to Super rugby, which it has done and continues to do
    3) The aim of the Force is to earn respect despite no level playing field which it continues to do
    4) Above all else, our players continue to put their bodies on the line and give it their all against stronger, bigger, faster, and more skilful opponents.

I began this journey in 2006 and long may it continue.

Well said, my sentiments exactly. I think they guys have given their all the last few weeks and have been only a fraction short of 2 wins when I thought we would get 50 point hammering s. if we can just improve a few small areas, get a little luck I don't see why we can't win most if not all our home games. It seems we have taken until now to select our best line up, though got to say if sias can't kick a penalty I would go with zack as we re more likely to keep ball in hand although he too is prone to brainfart kicking at times. We are improving , lets keep it going, we will see some victories

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Am i the only one who gets pissed off at mediocrity? They're pro sportsmen. Its the job they get paid to do and do it unsatisfactorily consistently, without changing tactics to succeed. If 95% of the population turned up to their job and performed badly you'd be reprimanded and given the boot. It's about time Foley and these boys came out with some fucken aggression towards the referree who was a bloody CHEAT. Fuck me the bloke has cost them a lot of cash in match winnings and incentives and sweet FA is said about it. Time to get tough lads it's your livelihoods on the line.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    geez boof--take a chill pill

Senior Player
    vCash
    Just did Gunny with a glass of red! Geez i've stewed on that all day it just had to come out.I've stopped being the lovey dovey with these lads that approach hasn't worked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Fuck me the bloke has cost them a lot of cash in match winnings and incentives and sweet FA is said about it. Time to get tough lads it's your livelihoods on the line.
    They get fined if they say anything about it.

Even the SA commentary team asked Sam what he thought of the reffing on Sunday Morning, he raised the bat and let it go through to the keeper.

C'mon the

vCash
    Boof is reflecting just how I feel as well. Yes the team should be able to take the ref out of the equation in the game, but it's pretty hard when you score a try and its STILL not awarded! Refs to me seem to be a protected species to the extent where they can do/say whatever they like and the standard is absolute shite! Makes me wonder why Steve Walsh made such a sudden departure - no notice as such, just "I'm goin NOW!" And the only comeback teams have is to complain after the fact. Isn't it possible for a review on complaints made and awarding points on reassessment of a complaint?

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Great speech, wholeheartedly agree, the team is allowing themselves to go back to the dark days in attitude when this is the time they really need to pull together and trust themselves. I don't know if anyone else notices but at the last gasp all of a sudden they start to fire eg nearly getting those 2 tries in the last 5 minutes. I mean they were able to pull that together at the last- that spirit seems to have been somewhat missing the other 70 minutes. Why not play like that the whole game not at the end? That's what shits me more than anything- it's not that they can't do it. But the kicking away has to stop Foley - please listen!
    Maybe Prior needs to play some more minutes and give Alby a rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast