Thread: Cross savours 'huge clash' marking Sonny Bill the Barbarian

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cross savours 'huge clash' marking Sonny Bill the Barbarian

Josh Rakic | May 24, 2009

WHO'S Sonny Bill Williams?

That's the sentiment of Wallabies star Ryan Cross, who says playing against his former NRL counterpart in next month's Australia-Barbarians clash hadnot once crossed his mind.

"Obviously, there are some big drawcards in the Barbarians team, and Sonny Bill is one of them, for all sorts of reasons. He is a big boy, and I'm sure he can worry about himself," Cross told The Sun-Herald after the former Sydney Rooster was named in Robbie Deans's 29-man Wallabies squad on Thursday.

"I haven't thought too much about him at all. I'm more worried about getting into camp and doing what we need to do to win games. The Test matches are the big things.

"We only see glimpses of the French games on television, but I'm sure he's probably going well.

"It'll be interesting to see how he goes over here against the Wallabies.

"It'll be a huge clash, though. They're always really exciting games against the Barbarians, and last year when we won it gave us a lot of confidence.

"But there are a lot of other big-named rugby players in the team, there always is."
    Both centres, Cross and Williams, are certain to face off at some stage of the June 6 contest at the SFS.

However, Cross admitted his biggest concern was to be named in the national squad after a tough year for the Force. He revealed it was a low-key announcement.

"The first I heard of being in the team was when my dad called me to let me know," he said. "I haven't got a phone call, letter or anything. It's pretty weird. But I was reasonably happy with my own form this season. I had a tough start when I hurt my left shoulder, but I managed to play every game. I'm feeling pretty good. Pretty fit."

He might not have given much thought about playing the former Bulldog but Cross is well aware of the challenges league converts such as Williams, Mark Gasnier and Craig Gower face when they join rugby. He cited dual international Timana Tahu as the perfect example of the challenges league thoroughbreds must overcome.

"Coming across from rugby league, the first year was always going to be hard," Cross said. "There's a lot of scrutiny on you. It was no different for me. I think I struggled at times but the good thing was I played every game that year, and it put me in good stead for the years to come. Timana's played four full games straight now, and I think we'll start to see the best of him. Game time is the big thing.

"Now there's a lot more opportunity in France and Japan, so rugby is a big option for a lot of rugby league players coming off contract. I think there'll be even more players jump ship if we get a another Super team in Australia. There are more [league players] to come, I think."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...498968550.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    who's sonny bill?..can't ague with crossy on that one... a boxer?...

vCash
    Smash him Crossy!!

vCash
    Go the Crossy-machine! I can see SBW getting smashed by our man Ryan

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Cross is 10 times the union player SBW could ever hope to be

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Hasn't SBW only played a couple of games for Toulon? No match for someone who's played two years for the Force and Wallabies.

Like most Mungo converts SBW might be great with ball in hand, but let's see what his defensive skills are like.

Oh, Barbarians. What defensive skills!

vCash
    at least we won't have Steyn with his stupid 50 metre drop goal attempts this time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    at least we won't have Steyn with his stupid 50 metre drop goal attempts this time
    Might agree with you if he'd missed. He can play 10 for us next year and kick as many droppies asm he likes.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Might agree with you if he'd missed. He can play 10 for us next year and kick as many droppies asm he likes.
    Francois Steyn and his embarassing attempts in the Barbarians game last December was what I was referring, to 1 from 4 wasn't it?

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Drop goals ruin a good game of rugby...they should only be worth 1 point if at all...

coz Stone Cold says so