Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: That's the way the big boys do it, Mortlock tells Sonny Bill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

That's the way the big boys do it, Mortlock tells Sonny Bill

Brad Walter | June 8, 2009 - 8:42AM

After "thanking" Stirling Mortlock for the sore ribs he was left nursing at the end of Saturday night's Wallabies-Barbarians match, Sonny Bill Williams was told by the Australian captain: "That's the way the big boys do it."

"He seems like a good bloke and a very funny character," Williams said later. "But I'd love to come back here in a few years' time and show him how I do it."

In his first appearance in Australia since walking out on the Bulldogs to switch codes last July and just his 14th game as a rugby union player, Williams confirmed to himself that he could match it with the likes of Mortlock and other Wallabies stars but he also admitted that he still has a lot to learn.

Disappointed by the 55-7 scoreline, Williams could at least hold his head high afterwards in the knowledge that he was one of the best players in a Barbarians outfit that boasted 775 Test caps between them but had little incentive to match the intensity of an Australian team preparing for the coming Tri Nations against New Zealand and South Africa.

"After 10 months this is where I am at. I know I did some good things in the game and I did some bad things," Williams told the Herald.

"I know I am going to have my critics and they are going to come out and bag me but I know that there is definitely a lot of improvement in my game and hopefully in another 10 months you will see a different player."

While that may be a hint that he intends returning to Australia or New Zealand on a permanent basis when his new one-year deal with Toulon expires at the end of the next Top 14 season in France, not even Williams seems to know exactly what he will be doing then.

But what the 23-year-old does know is that if he was to come back to play Super rugby or at Test level, the step up would not be a problem.

"I'm not happy with the way I played but I can sit back with a smile knowing that I can mix it with these guys," Williams said. "Australia are definitely one of the best teams in the world and when you watch it on TV you think 'wow, that's quick', but I now know that if I did come back here I could handle it and I know what parts of my game I need to improve on."

Defence was one area Williams said he needed to work on but it was difficult in a Barbarians back line where players came from different teams that have their own systems and structures.

He is still making the transition from league although two stinging shoulder tackles suggested he had adapted his trademark tackling technique to comply with rugby union's ban on shoulder charges.

"If you're confident in defence you push up but ... I wasn't that confident. I held off a bit too much. It just comes from learning the game."

Williams almost scored a try with his first touch of the ball when he slipped past Mortlock in the third minute only to be cut down by Luke Burgess.

Williams received a few more rib-tickling tackles but there was little of the predicted animosity towards him from the 40,000 crowd.

After the game, Williams signed autographs as the players waited for the on-field presentation and he was then mobbed for photos as he left the ground.

"I knew there was a lot of pressure on me and I knew that a lot of people wanted to see me get pumped but that's cool," he said. "It was good to come back and play in front of my family and friends. It's not all doom and gloom like it has been made out.

"I really enjoyed my time in Sydney, I consider Sydney a second home so it was just good to be back."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...313065715.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Being a Bulldogs supporter, I have been a big SBW fan even if I questioned his judgment in walking out the way he did. One thing I'm absolutely sure of is his ability. He must have had his reasons for what he did, but has kept his own counsel and never bagged anybody since. He's been as humble as ever on this trip, seems to know where he's at and what he needs to work on. Sterlo, who I thought was bigger than that sledge, might get to eat some humble pie in the not too distant future. Sounded more like something his predecessor might have said.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    A little sledge like that is of no consequence... Tana Umaga would have cued SBW that international level rugby is more physically enraging… I noticed after the match that Mortlock asked SWB if he would like to swap jersey once off the field and he accepted... I think Mortlock has plenty of respect for SBW...

I enjoyed watching him play he is an immense talent and I like to see him playing in the S14- S15 soon...

vCash
    The trouble with being one of the best players for the Baa-baas is that they only had about 25% possession. They spent most of the game tackling and when they did get the ball, because they haven't spent long enough together to get to know each other's game, they didn't link up at all. Therefore, the Baa-baa highlights were individual running and huge amounts of tackling.

My top players for the Baa-baas were therefore: Collins, Waugh, Jack, SBW, Lewsey & Blair (god he was quick, wasn't he?)

vCash
    Don't tickle SBW, Stirls, you'll just make him angry.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Player
    vCash
    C'mon Shasta you never slipped in a sledge to get under the oppositions skin. Hell, back when I played schoolboys my job was to s@#t stir. At that age I was a rather big lad with a fair bit of boxing behind me so the coach instructed me to make sure the op wanted to kill and forget about the game. Memories. Still scored plenty of tries though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    C'mon Shasta you never slipped in a sledge to get under the oppositions skin.
    Erm ....of course.

But I might have got the wrong meaning. I thought it was an after match comment. Sledging in the heat of the contest is different, most players do a bit. But I never liked the "4 more years boys" type of stuff after the siren. That's the time for a handshake and a piss-up.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Erm ....of course.

But I might have got the wrong meaning. I thought it was an after match comment. Sledging in the heat of the contest is different, most players do a bit. But I never liked the "4 more years boys" type of stuff after the siren. That's the time for a handshake and a piss-up.
    I agree, no value in twisting the knife after the battle's over!

C'mon the

vCash
    I'm petty sure Gregans " 4 more years was said during the play"... But
    I get where you're coming from..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm petty sure Gregans " 4 more years was said during the play"
    It did, late in the game after a knock on at the base of a ruck I think. Hence why it will be a classic sledge
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    ..... Sterlo, who I thought was bigger than that sledge, might get to eat some humble pie in the not too distant future. Sounded more like something his predecessor might have said.
    yeah, shasta, but I think in the context it wasn't a sledge - even if it was said during the game it would have been pretty tame. But I agree that SBW may be on the big scene real soon. With some more games under his belt and quality coaching/ training with, say, a S14 team he will be up there, IMHO.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The nice comeback would have been, "Yeah, but no fair hitting me with your zimmer frame"...

vCash
    See just what the administrators wanted all this talk about SBW well its over now for a coupe of years so lets wait and see eh?
    GO THE FORCE

vCash
    I don't think the administrators wanted talk about SBW, they wanted bums on seats at SFS
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    But thats how you get bums too talk it or him up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast