MacDonald ready to return and lift Crusaders

Article Published: Monday 19 January 2009

Edited by: Rugbyweek.com

A fully-fit Leon MacDonald is raring to go and looking forward to another season with the Crusaders.

MacDonald suffered concussion problems last year after a head knock while playing for the All Blacks against the Springboks in Dunedin on July 12.

He has not played since but was closely involved in a guidance role with Canterbury in last season’s Air New Zealand and still trained very hard.

The fullback said today he had put all his injury problems behind him and was looking forward to getting stuck into the Rebel Sport Super 14 with the defending champions.

"I feel 100 per cent fine now and am looking forward to getting into it. I’ve been a long time out of the game so I’m feeling really enthusiastic and keen," MacDonald said on the Crusaders website.

After many months of careful rehabilitation work and testing, MacDonald was last week fully involved in contact work with the rest of the squad.

Asked if he would be available for the Crusaders pre-season match against the Western Force in Perth on Friday, he replied: "I could play today."

MacDonald is now symptom free. He certainly looks fit and strong and will be a very important part of the Crusaders back line with his experience and know-how.

The 32-year-old has 111 caps for the Crusaders and is closing in on Reuben Thorne's Crusaders record of 129 caps.

MacDonald has scored 301 points for the Crusaders. Only Andrew Mehrtens and Dan Carter have scored more for the franchise. MacDonald also has 56 Test caps to his name.

Asked about the new Crusaders coaching regime of Todd Blackadder, Mark Hammett and Daryl Gibson, he said: "They are three guys who know what the Crusaders are all about. Todd and Daryl have been overseas and have come back with all the things they have learned. It’s a good mix."

The Crusaders leave for Perth on Wednesday and return the following Tuesday.
The Crusaders' first competition game in the Super 14 is against the Chiefs at AMI Stadium on Saturday, February 14.

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=17702