Thread: Toomua can lead Brumbies to title: Larkham

vCash

Post Toomua can lead Brumbies to title: Larkham

Chris Dutton, Canberra Times | May 11, 2009 - 9:46AM

Former champion flyhalf Stephen Larkham has backed Matt Toomua to lead the ACT Brumbies to a Super 14 title, should they break into the top four this week.

Toomua knew it would take time before he felt comfortable in his new role as flyhalf and he's the first to admit he's still learning.

But how fast he has adapted has impressed most, including Larkham.

This week he faces his biggest challenge with the Brumbies needing a bonus-point win against the Waikato Chiefs at Hamilton on Friday night to stay alive in the finals race.

They then have to rely on favourable results to progress and less than a month after Toomua's run-on debut, Larkham declared the teenager was primed to take the Brumbies back to Super rugby supremacy.

Toomua was thrust into the No.10 jumper when Christian Lealiifano suffered a hamstring injury last month and was ruled out for the remainder of the season.

The 19-year-old helped guide the Brumbies to a 37-15 win over the Auckland Blues last Saturday night to keep the team's finals hopes alive.

It was his best performance as a starting player and was the perfect reminder of his talent with Matt Giteau to return to Canberra next season.

The do-or-die match against the Chiefs could be Toomua's last as starting flyhalf for now, but Larkham had no doubt he could reproduce his dominant display to lift the Brumbies to a semi-final berth.

"Definitely he can lead them to a title," Larkham said.

"You can just base that on the last couple of games he has played.

"He's had three performances that have been rock solid so flyhalf is not going to be a positional problem for the Brumbies in terms of winning a championship."

Larkham has been in Canberra since the start of March after he completed his first season playing with the Ricoh Black Rams in Japan.

He sat on the Brumbies bench on Saturday night and was impressed with Toomua's ability to steer the team to victory.

A veteran of 116 Brumbies caps and 102 Tests for the Wallabies, Larkham said Toomua's defence set him apart from Australia's other rising pivots.

"He's really progressing extremely well, [Saturday night] was just a show of what he can do," Larkham said.

"Particularly, for me, the way he is playing defensively is outstanding."

Inside centre Gene Fairbanks is likely to miss the match against the Chiefs with a hamstring strain, adding to Toomua's responsibility.

However, coach Andy Friend said he would not put extra pressure on his rising star.

Instead the load will be spread among senior players to allow Toomua to continue his brilliant form.

"I thought in the second half he mixed up his game and really showed us what he could do," Friend said of Toomua.

"It was his best game, he brought a new aspect to his game where he usually plays deeper but he was up in the line.

"He showed us how strong he can be defensively and we won't go in expecting more from him this week."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...893888278.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is it April 1st, or something?!?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    No that's a pretty fair call. If he can engineer a bonus point win, against the tournament favourites, in the last round, when both teams need a win to ensure their place in the top 4, he probably CAN lead them to a title.

He can probably also heal the blind and walk on water!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    No that's a pretty fair call. If he can engineer a bonus point win, against the tournament favourites, in the last round, when both teams need a win to ensure their place in the top 4, he probably CAN lead them to a title.

He can probably also heal the blind and walk on water!

Yep its a big call... but his parents are missionaries so he may have the healing touch...

Chiefs looked very strong against the Hurricanes on the weekend… and they’ve been waiting years to get a good crack at the finals…

I’ll give the Brumbies a 40% chance of a win and a 30% chance of a bonus win…

The Brumbies need 80 minutes of hell-fire to break the Chiefs this year…

I'm looking forward to seeing Toomua team up with JOC in the RWC U20s... next month in Japan...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I’ll give the Brumbies a 40% chance of a win and a 30% chance of a bonus win…
    Mate, you keep on accidentally hitting the 0 key, I'm getting confuesd!
    I'm looking forward to seeing Toomua team up with JOC in the RWC U20s... next month in Japan...
    It might not happen....Deansey may run Rabbit on as a starter in the June Tests

C'mon the

vCash
    Yep its a big call... but his parents are missionaries so he may have the healing touch...
    Mud, are you Gordon Bray?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I think he has some big boots to fill going to 10 after Lealealiafano (can I just call him La-la? It hurts my fingers to type his name and I can't spell it right). La-la has been fan-freaking-tastic this season and you have to feel sorry for the guy that Giteau is going home to nick his spot. I caught some of the Brumbies game when he was at 10 (the first game after La-la got injured) and I didn't think he was up to much, but it wasn't much of the game to go by. Muddy, has he improved from my 5-minute-viewing?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I think he has some big boots to fill going to 10 after Lealealiafano (can I just call him La-la? It hurts my fingers to type his name and I can't spell it right). La-la has been fan-freaking-tastic this season and you have to feel sorry for the guy that Giteau is going home to nick his spot. I caught some of the Brumbies game when he was at 10 (the first game after La-la got injured) and I didn't think he was up to much, but it wasn't much of the game to go by. Muddy, has he improved from my 5-minute-viewing?
    He is doing very well and looks better than most flyhalfs... Lealiifano had a good second season but Toomua has just taken it in one step... He makes Beale and Cooper look average, he is playing at least as good as Stephen Brett at the Crusaders...

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Mate, you keep on accidentally hitting the 0 key, I'm getting confuesd!
    I recommend you procure a Babel fish , it may help.....

Last edited by mudskipper; 12-05-09 at 12:53.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't start counting chickens too soon. He's only really had three full games.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    How losing Mackay matured Toomua

By Jon Geddes
    May 13, 2009 12:00am

EVERY time five-eighth Matt Toomua plays for the Brumbies the spirit of his late teammate Shawn Mackay is close by.

"I write a few things on my wrist every week and Shawn's name has been one of them for a bit now. He is definitely there," Toomua said.

Mackay's tragic death after being struck by a vehicle in Durban on April 6 was particularly hard on the outstanding young back because the pair were flatmates in Canberra.

"It was tough, I'm not going to shy away from that," Toomua said.

"There were some very testing times coming back from Africa and just having to get up each week after that and go back to your daily routine. But the tide is turning."

Toomua and his teammates were courageous and inspirational as they rallied to keep their Super 14 campaign afloat in the face of tragedy.

On Friday they face their final test against the second-placed Chiefs in Hamilton. It's a game they have to win if they are to pull off a sporting fairytale and make the semis.

"I know Shawny is probably smiling on us. Hopefully he will give us a bit of help this Friday," Toomua said.

And he has become a key figure in the Brumbies finals charge after replacing injured Christian Lealiifano in the starting side three weeks ago.

"I've grown in confidence and getting more comfortable knowing the players around me," he said.

Toomua has also matured quickly after the emotional roller-coaster ride he has been through this season.

"I'm definitely a stronger person, but more importantly we are a stronger team," Toomua said.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend is full of admiration for the way Toomua stepped up when needed after being knocked around by Mackay's death.

"Matt's dealing with that as well as the responsibility of being a starting player at the age of 19, and he has done that really well," Friend said.

"He's got a mountain of ability and he's playing with maturity and confidence beyond his years."

His dominant performance against the Blues last weekend showed why he was picked in the Australian side for the Under-20 World Cup.

Toomau flew to New Zealand with the Brumbies yesterday excited about the challenge ahead.

"This is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid," he said.

"Actually doing it now with guys like Stirling (Mortlock) is pretty surreal. There is a lot of belief in the squad. We are going over there confident but also knowing the Chiefs are a huge threat.

"We have to be on our A-game this Friday."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006067,00.html