PDA

View Full Version : Other Sport Mongrel Rugby?

Darren
24-11-08, 12:07
I don't like it.

ARL, ARU in talks for a hyrbrid contest between Wallabies-Kangaroos
SECRET negotiations are taking place to secure an historic Kangaroos versus Wallabies match next October at ANZ Stadium is Sydney.

The game has already been booked for ANZ, where officials have labelled it the biggest event since the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

The negotiations are in their infancy and their eventual success ultimately will depend on the delicate relationship between the Australian Rugby Union and the Australian Rugby League.

However the first dramatic chink in the seemingly impenetrable barrier that has separated the codes for 100 years has been made.

The prospect of watching Matt Giteau taking on Darren Lockyer, Stirling Mortlock against Greg Inglis and the like would cause unprecedented interest among Australian sports fans.

The blockbuster will generate an estimated $15million, while promoters have promised $2million to a children's hospital.

ARL chairman Colin Love has agreed, in principle, to the game -- supporting an idea that benefits children's charities.

Australian Rugby Union chairman Peter McGrath was told about the bold proposal yesterday and preferred to speak to chief executive John O'Neill before commenting.

There are many reasons why a hybrid match between rugby union's Wallabies and rugby league's Kangaroos will not go ahead - but one overwhelming reason why it should.

The fans want it.

Promoter Phil Franks has promised to work closely with both the Australian Rugby Union and Australian Rugby League in order to ensure the game goes ahead.

Franks intends to formally approach ARU chief executive John O'Neill and ARL counterpart Geoff Carr this week.

"I didn't want to speak to them until they got a taste of the enormity and benefit of it," he said.

"John O'Neill is the sort of man that can make this happen because he is a business genius."

For 100 years football fans have argued about the respective merits of league versus union - who would win and why - and now they appear set to get their answer.

Some of the biggest names from each code, including former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer and former Kangaroos coach Bob Fulton, support the hybrid match.

"There's a lot of reasons for playing it," Dwyer said.

"One of the important reasons is, if we are in the entertainment industry and those people that we are trying to attract want to see it - and it does seem like the people we're trying to attract do want to see it - then isn't that what we're here for?"

Until now, any attempt to decide the best footballers between the codes has been unsatisfactory. Generally played under home team rules, the result has often ended wildly in favour of the home team.

But Franks, a property developer who played league for Norths, Balmain and Penrith, believes he has the key, and after booking ANZ Stadium for the game last week he patented "Hybrid Twelve" on Friday.

He is also close to signing an underwriter for a multi-million- dollar deal.

The success of the match will depend on establishing rules that ultimately decide the best football team and not which team is best advantaged by the rule interpretations. Dwyer and Fulton will be part of the rules committee charged with finding rules that suit both codes equally.

Another high-profile rugby expert has also committed, while it is planned that other experts will also be invited.

"It will be an absolutely outstanding promotion and, just being a football fan, I'd love to see it," Fulton said.

"And I'm sure there's plenty of other people that, as long as the t's are crossed and the i's dotted in relation to getting it together, would love to see it also.

"The players from both codes would also love to be involved in a game of this stature."

While both codes will undoubtedly have their prejudices about pushing forward with the game, the money involved might make it impossible to ignore.

Both the codes are currently exploring new ways to supplement their income.

The recent world economic downturn has also bitten hard, with rugby sponsorships dropping by more than $1million among some Australian provinces.

The ARU also has several "black holes" in next year's schedule brought about by the British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa. Because the Lions are touring, the British nations - Scotland, Wales and England, as well as Ireland - will not be touring individually, ruling out any tours to Australia.

The "Hybrid Twelve" would sell out ANZ Stadium, drawing a gate upwards of $8million with local and international television rights on top of that.

Still, for all the financial benefits Franks knows a lot must happen before contracts are signed.

ARL chairman Colin Love supports the hybrid match in principle, while ARU chairman Peter McGrath will speak to O'Neill about it this week after being told about it on Sunday.

Another obstacle for the ARU is that it would have to receive IRB approval.

"I want both of these parties to embrace it and get the politics out of it so they will see the benefits to their codes," Franks said.

Read more... (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24695949-23217,00.html?from=public_rss)

oxleymoron
24-11-08, 12:36
The problem with rugby is there are 10 top nations (6N,3N and Argies). Whenever there is a lions tour down south (happens every four years), it reduces the number of teams that can tour. We are left with the I-ties, Frogs, other 3N member and the argys. It might be time to consider the Pacific islanders in another test, especially after the spring tour that they are currently on.

The more times we play the All blacks in meaningless "Bledisloes" in HK, USA, Afghanistan, Greece, Surinam etc, reduces the significance of the matches during the 3N.

I would rather watch international games against the Pac Islands and the argies than a waratahs squad selection training game with the mungoes.

Burgs
24-11-08, 13:04
I'm with you Coach.

jargan83
24-11-08, 13:10
Australian Rugby Union denies report of Kangaroos-Wallabies hybrid game

November 24, 2008 T

THE Australian Rugby Union has denied it is interested in the proposed hybrid game between the Wallabies and Kangaroos in Sydney next year.

The Daily Telegraph reported on Monday that the game had been booked at ANZ Stadium for an October 2009 date, but the ARU has denied any interest in the game.

The Telegraph report mainly quoted promoter Phil Franks, but the ARU said in a statement that it had no interest in Franks's plan.

“Australian Rugby Union has no interest in a promoters plan to stage a Wallabies v Kangaroos match under hybrid laws in Sydney next October,” the union announced.

“The ARU has not been approached with the idea and has no intention of altering the existing 2009 program to entertain the proposal as floated in the media this morning.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24697277-23217,00.html

Burgs
24-11-08, 13:25
That's because the talks are "secret" and while the ARU don't know they are having them with the ARL the media does.

mudskipper
24-11-08, 13:25
shouldn't happen, its just wrong...

force addict
24-11-08, 15:33
ARU response from rugby.com.au
http://rugby.com.au/news/wallabies_2008/aru_has_no_interest_in_promoters_proposal,125386.h tml/section/21893

frontrow
24-11-08, 16:26
Even if this silly venture went ahead, it would not prove anything as it will just be crap and the respective fans of both codes won't suddenly go"ooooh, those leaguies are better than us", or vice versa, we are still gonna think we are the better code regardless....It is another media beat up and stupid idea...

jargan83
24-11-08, 16:30
must have been a slow news day, so the various media experts for both codes got together and came up with a plan to sell some newspapers

Flamethrower
24-11-08, 16:39
Even if this silly venture went ahead, it would not prove anything as it will just be crap and the respective fans of both codes won't suddenly go"ooooh, those leaguies are better than us", or vice versa, we are still gonna think we are the better code regardless....It is another media beat up and stupid idea...

Agree with ya frontrow :approve:

If they all went to the pub and had a round of darts and pool it would be as relevant.

AndyS
24-11-08, 16:44
Best way to squash that would be for the ARU to be all enthusiastic, suggest that it be limited to under 24's and start the rumour that it would be a trial and recruitment exercise...

travelling_gerry
24-11-08, 16:52
That idea went from Hero to Zero in 3 posts....

jono
24-11-08, 16:54
i dont see it working. but i think it would be interesting if it happened.
i would want to know how they are going to adapt the rules to suit both codes. how are they going to incorporate 6 phases into a union style game? or a union style game into 6 phases?

jargan83
24-11-08, 17:00
I like both codes and I think it is a stupid idea
Posted via Mobile Device

Flamethrower
24-11-08, 17:06
Darts and Pool and the losers pay the bar tab.

Swee_82
24-11-08, 17:39
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto.

The bit of conjecture on the tele this morning was that it was to be 12-man teams, 5 man scrums, unlimited 'tackles' (but I don't know if that meant 'tackle + play-the-ball' like mungo or what)

Whatever they came up with would have been some crap game, that neither team would have been particularly good at. Would have chewed up alot of column inches of the 'we're better than you nah nah nah' variety and I dare say all parties would have come out of it a little grubbier than they went in.

tragic
24-11-08, 19:04
I would rather watch international games against the Pac Islands and the argies than a waratahs squad selection training game with the mungoes.

Amen to that, brother Ox.

bort
24-11-08, 20:42
itd be tough but id like to see it
union line ups, lineouts and scrums, league play the ball and tackle count is the best/most functional i can think of

Burgs
24-11-08, 20:59
It would have to be League scrums otherwise it would be an undertaker, not an underwriter required.
Though we have the Frontrow for the job already...

jargan83
24-11-08, 21:03

BaxTAH and Dunning would make great League front rowers............actually even then I think they would get a fail next to they're names.

BaxTAH would probably collapse in a League scrum and Field Goals are only worth 1 in League

shasta
25-11-08, 07:30

Me too, and i like them pretty much as they are. Even if this got up I doubt there would be as much interest as the promoters are claiming. A meaningless exercise.

It would have to be League scrums otherwise it would be an undertaker, not an underwriter required.

Gotta admit, though, the prospect of seeing Donut and Trestle after 20-odd hit ups and thirty tackles would tempting.:)

frontrow
25-11-08, 09:00
They would be stuffed, but then they would have plenty of recovery time in the half assed scrums...Chalk and cheese, apples and oranges, league and union...

shasta
25-11-08, 09:08
they would have plenty of recovery time in the half assed scrums...

Oh I dunno. The mungo scrums (12 blokes leaning on each other) are over pretty quick and are rarely reset. Although Trestle might have an effect there if the mungo "props" decided to contest. He'd probably still end up on his knees forcing multiple resets. :rolleyes:

Burgs
25-11-08, 09:12
Tempting as in voyeuristically and sadistically satisfying? :D

jargan83
25-11-08, 11:10
Hybrid idea to save the NRL and ARU squashed rightfully so

By Paul Kent

November 25, 2008

ONLY six months ago rugby league officials were wondering how on this man's earth they could keep our greatest players on Australian shores.

They lamented the limited funds which forced the likes of Mark Gasnier and Sonny Bill Williams overseas.

The ARU joined the chorus soon after, warning that top-flight Wallabies were also vulnerable to being snatched by the cashed-up European clubs.

Then along came an idea that would generate upwards of $15 million - on top of the income both games generate. And what do they do?

The potential money spinner that is a Kangaroos-Wallabies hybrid game was dismissed out of hand - despite its undeniable potential.

But it was a strange dismissal, and appears not dead yet.

The ARU's carefully worded press release said it has "no interest in a promoter's plan".

"In any case," it continued, "it is not the sort of venture that would require a middle man."

It seems the only two parties not interested are the codes' respective governing bodies - for now.

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said the body types of the players in both codes are so different - think rival props Petero Civoniceva and Matt Dunning - it would be "impossible" to play. Yet former greats, the fans, they all want to see it.

The sports world lit up when news broke of the possibility the Kangaroos might play the Wallabies at ANZ Stadium.

Carr said he had yet to formally hear the proposal.

"Until someone gives me one I haven't seen or heard it, so I am not going to make any comment," he said. "But I have got a personal view and that's in 100 years no-one has been convinced it can work, so I think it would be wasting everyone's time to be honest.

"They have got completely different body shapes and completely different techniques.

"Both games are so different you just couldn't do it."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24702067-23214,00.html

Darren
25-11-08, 11:15
The sports world lit up when news broke of the possibility the Kangaroos might play the Wallabies at ANZ Stadium.

Lit up like a 15 watt light bulb ... idiot.

Swee_82
25-11-08, 11:19
Lit up like a 15 watt light bulb ... idiot.

Dunno bout that... might have given a geriatric glowworm a run for it's money though.

jargan83
25-11-08, 11:20
can I just re-state that I think it is a stupid idea?

pruc
25-11-08, 11:54
ide love to see this
it would be if they get th mixture of rules right
an enjoyable spectacle and possible poaching of players from NRL
or vice versa

Burgs
25-11-08, 15:04
But it was a strange dismissal, and appears not dead yet.
...not if I can milk a few extra inches out of it...

AndyS
25-11-08, 15:57
Not a a bad discussion piece, with key phrases being:

Franks has ... made a booking at ANZ stadium for every weekend next October, convinced that momentum will stampede the bosses of the two sports into a match, with $2 million being donated....

Franks calculates fan momentum will empower him to approach underwriters for the event and embarrass officials into approving it. The support of News Ltd will be critical. The media company owns the SANZAR television contract, half-owns the NRL and is a 50 per cent owner of Fox Sports, which screens Super 14 and five NRL game a week.

Perhaps a hybrid game falls outside the conditions of an existing broadcasting contract and if so would be a bonanza to a promoter who succeeds in attracting a free-to-air network.

The Kangaroos are scheduled to play in the Four Nations tournament in the UK at the end of next year but the Wallabies have shown they are willing to chase big purses by playing in Hong Kong.

Officials might consider it an ass of an idea but what's the alternative? One code waiting for the other to die? Both games are a chance of expiring in a world where every other team sport allows a forward pass.

Franks's game might not happen in Sydney in October but one day it will.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/wallabies-v-kangaroos/2008/11/24/1227491461648.html

frontrow
25-11-08, 16:00
ide love to see this
it would be if they get th mixture of rules right
an enjoyable spectacle and possible poaching of players from NRL
or vice versa

The way i read this pruc is that you would happily let the ARU select mungoes over the youth,(yourself included), who have been playing the game with representative aspirations...I would think that you would like those who have earnt thier stripes playing the game, to get selected on thier merits rather than what a mungo might "POSSIBLY" bring to the code...Or did i misunderstand???

shasta
26-11-08, 11:02
"WHAT do you get when you cross a thoroughbred with a donkey," Titans chairman Paul Broughton asked yesterday regarding the possibility of the Kangaroos and the Wallabies playing a hybrid match in October.

"Answer: A sterile mule."

Couldn't agree more Paul. About hybrid being sterile. But you don't get a mule when you breed two group one performers. ;)

pruc
26-11-08, 13:14
The way i read this pruc is that you would happily let the ARU select mungoes over the youth,(yourself included), who have been playing the game with representative aspirations...I would think that you would like those who have earnt thier stripes playing the game, to get selected on thier merits rather than what a mungo might "POSSIBLY" bring to the code...Or did i misunderstand???

you would find most of the juniors in league.
it the academys and stuff
were all originally union players
league sees the potential give them a contact
sign them at 15-16
and develop
i know at national 16s this year the team that finish 3rd.
sydney juniors who we dormed with had about 12 league contracted players
and there were a few that werent allowed to play.
so really its just getting some of our juniors back into the code.

frontrow
26-11-08, 14:22
So i did misunderstand you then, thanks for clarifying that mate, cheers....